What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Colour of our Cloths

bornadragon

Juniors
Question: If Manly's main jersey colour is white, Canterbury's main colour is white. We finished the lowest down the table. Will they MAKE us wear the all red strip and thus NOT see the RED V again this season (only against the storm) if we make it that far ?

SF:
Manly is primarily maroon, so we'll be wearing the red V

PF (If we're there):

Melbourne is primarily purple, so we'd be wearing the red V

GF (if we're there):
Canterbury is primarily white, so we'd be wearing the all-red
Newcastle is primarily blue, so we'd be wearing the red V
Brisbane is primarily maroon, so we'd be wearing the red V

Steel Dragon

Bench
I realise we're on the 'away' side of the grand final draw - but id be vey surprised if we wore the all red strip if/when we make it

Our jerseys are plenty different enough to the dogs that we can wear the V

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Strictly speaking its an alternate jersey, not an away jersey (it was used at WIN), which can be pulled out whenever. Doesn't have to be because of the other team's colours but that could provide a reason. As far as I can tell, its a marketing decision.

There were a bunch of matches with full red strip so that should be the end of it for the year and it'll be red V all the way now... I say 'should' because you never know.

And for what its worth, I don't think we won any games in the all red.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
My apologies SD. I didnt look back at the pics.
The games against Raiders, Eels and Canterbury are the three recent ones I was thinking of.

Sir Biffo

Bench
It's a pity, because I do enjoy wearing my all red, especially as it is starting to get hotter now and my classic integral energy red v gets quite warm inside!

phonetic

Juniors
I know we have to get there first, but surely they'd wear the vee.

Despite Canterbury and St George 'clashing' in the eyes of the NRL, it would be an outrage if we were forced to wear anything but the vee.

The Preacher

First Grade
The jerseys didn't clash in '79 or '85, why would they clash now. I never thought we'd be wearing anything other than the big Red V.
Speaking of the Red V, David Barnhill, the ex CRL CEO, and father of the great Dragons player, has had his colours accepted by the registrar of horse racing. His first choice, I beleive, were the Yanco-Wamoon colours, which were rejected and the colours accepted are the RED V. :shock:

RedVee

First Grade
Since we were forced to provide an alternate jersey we have had to use it every away game against the Dogs so far. Do you think that will change?
Remember the semi at the Homebush Showground? Blood & Bandages.
If we meet in the GF I believe the home status is given to the team that finished higher at the end of the home'n'away season - ie the Bullydogs. I think they no longer toss a coin for home status - hope I'm wrong.

Steel Dragon

Bench
RedVee said:
I think they no longer toss a coin for home status - hope I'm wrong.

Have a look at the draw for the finals. It is kinda sh!t the way the home/away teams are determined. Melbourne who finished top of the ladder and (if) they win their two finals games are still the 'away' team in the GF because of how the draw works.

So either us or Melb will be the away team. It sucks.

Father Ted

First Grade
Steel Dragon said:
Have a look at the draw for the finals. It is kinda sh!t the way the home/away teams are determined. Melbourne who finished top of the ladder and (if) they win their two finals games are still the 'away' team in the GF because of how the draw works.

So either us or Melb will be the away team. It sucks.

Everyone is presuming that the Dogs will win against the Broncos . While I think the Dogs will win . If the Broncos should prevail then there's no problem with a colour clash . Anyway it's a neutral venue and if we don't wear the Vee should we make it I and many others will be very P#ssed .

Godz Illa

Coach
Alright assuming we do win and the Bulldogs win *sign of the cross, genuflect, cross fingers, touch wood* then yes I would be very p!ssed off if we don't wear the red V. I always believed the alternate jersey was merely both a revenue raiser and (this season) an attempt to appease the Steelers hardcore. In reality the red V can never be confused with the Dogs uniform, particularly considering the all blue socks and shorts. We will wear the red V and viewers will easily distinguish between the two teams.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I've said this before but my understanding is that jerseys are NOT strictly decided by away or home status. Its called an alternate jersey which creates more flexibility and the club will generally have the players wear it as a marketing decision.

The jerseys from both teams are submitted to the NRL and a staffer decides if they are different enough and OK to proceed. In the rare event that the jerseys are too similar, the NRL can then ask the away team to change.

Happy to be corrected but I think home or away has very little to do with it.

wildmooka

Juniors
We also beat the cowgirls by 20 from memory in that strip. I dont mind it, just dont want to see it in finals footy.

Latest posts