What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Comic Book Film Thread *** SPOILERS ***

shiznit

Coach
I get that
Will his input make or break the movie though?
Feige’s impact is massive...

Nothing more so than his ability to pick film makers people wouldn’t normally choose to helm these massive pictures...

From phase one with Jon Favroe, Kenneth Branagh & Joss Whedon... Phase 2 with James Gunn, The Russo’s and even though they didn’t end up staying with the projects... Patty Jenkins & Edgar Wright were both chosen by him... then moving on to his recent choices... Taika Waititi & Ryan Coogler...

Those are probably the most important choices of all IMO...

You look at who he’s chosen to take Captain Marvel... Anna Boden & Ryan Fleck... I have no idea who they are... which is kind of how Feige likes it...

Game_Breaker

Coach
Feige’s impact is massive...

Nothing more so than his ability to pick film makers people wouldn’t normally choose to helm these massive pictures...

From phase one with Jon Favroe, Kenneth Branagh & Joss Whedon... Phase 2 with James Gunn, The Russo’s and even though they didn’t end up staying with the projects... Patty Jenkins & Edgar Wright were both chosen by him... then moving on to his recent choices... Taika Waititi & Ryan Coogler...

Those are probably the most important choices of all IMO...

You look at who he’s chosen to take Captain Marvel... Anna Boden & Ryan Fleck... I have no idea who they are... which is kind of how Feige likes it...

Well yeah
Choosing the director is one thing, that's a high level decision but I'm talking about the detail of the film itself, writing, plot, editing etc.

Frederick

Staff member
Well yeah
Choosing the director is one thing, that's a high level decision but I'm talking about the detail of the film itself, writing, plot, editing etc.

Feige's fingerprints are all over every single movie in the MCU. I tracked down this article from 2003 that says as much:
"
So where does Feige fit in? In a universe with architecture, he’s the architect. His deep knowledge of Marvel arcana helped make him an associate producer on the first X-Men movie, and since then his ability to translate that comic book knowledge into something useful to filmmakers, though, has proven nothing short of (ahem) uncanny. "Disney has allowed us to be a relatively small, tight-knit brain trust,” Feige says. "These billion-dollar ventures come down to 10 people or fewer in a room saying, ‘You know what would be cool?'"

feige-003.jpg

PHOTO: ARIEL ZAMBELICH/WIRED
Feige is coordinating at least a half-dozen films in various stages of production, making sure their individual arcs serve the overall direction. He can offer writers solutions from the Marvel MacGuffin file. (Cosmic Cube? Howling Commandos? Destroyer armor?) He sees costume and makeup tests. He regularly consults with a few writers working at the comic company, but aside from Brubaker, the Russos never talked to them. That was Feige’s job. “The comics side has input, but it’s filtered through Kevin Feige,” says Anthony Russo."

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.wired.com/2013/08/kevin-feige-marvel-dc-movies/amp

Frederick

Staff member
From a more recent article:

"Kevin Feige as Captain Marvel
Most Hollywood studios have access to plenty of bankable Intellectual Property, but Marvel has a Kevin Feige. In 2007, just ahead of shooting 2008’s “Iron Man,” Feige was promoted to president of production at Marvel Studios after impressing executives with his comic book knowledge.

Since then, Feige has guided the Marvel Cinematic Universe every step of the way, acting as puppeteer.

“Kevin Feige is doing the same thing Stan Lee did for the comic books in the ’60s; he keeps everyone on the same page,” Jonathan merkinz, a lecturer at the UCLA school of theater, film and TV, told TheWrap.

Also Read:How Marvel Studios Rose as Movie Stars Fell

Marvel’s 19-film franchise goes against Hollywood’s nature, merkinz said. A lot of franchises focus on trilogies before they tend to reboot or squash it after diminishing returns. But Marvel has maintained a franchise for this long, one that veers, goes off on tangents, yet always comes back to the main idea, thanks to a longer-term vision. And Feige’s been the one pulling the strings from the beginning."

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www...ook-lore-marvels-secret-sauce-to-success/amp/

shiznit

Coach
Well yeah
I wouldn’t think he would have much to do with those aspects other than making sure the film fits into the overall MCU... but that’s the great thing about him IMO...

He gets these interesting film makers... and on the most part he lets them make the picture in their distinctive styles... hence you have the darker espionage/political tone of Winter Soldier & Civil War sliding into the funny cosmic space adventures of Guardians and Ragnarok then you change that back into a super dark infinity war... all within the same universe...

Some film makers have pulled though... Edgar Wright and Patty Jenkins being the main ones...

shiznit

Coach
Up at 2:30AM binge watching a Netflix series and just before I go to bed i randomly see Avengers 4 trending...

IT HAS A NAME!!

19-C14-E8-C-44-BB-4-D02-8-A85-A869-BDD39-AF6.jpg

Avengers End Game!

And the first trailer..

Last edited:

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Lmfao.... Disney make f**king mountains of money... they will keep pumping this shit out as long as it keeps making 500M to 1B+ each film...

And as for George Lucas... Disney bought Lucasfilm for about 4B... and they have pretty much made that back already....

They also need content for its streaming service... not to mention the tie in to it’s theme parks, resorts & cruise lines...

Disney will make hundreds of billions from that property when it’s all said and done...
Disney have killed almost the greatest IP in just 4 years, sure they have made their money back but they lost money on Solo. Honestly can anyone imagine 10 years ago a Star was film losing money???
The Last Jedi was a steaming pile of shit and instead of putting their hands up and saying it was a bad movie they instead decided to attack to the fanbase. These f**kwits will continue to put their agenda politics into Star Wars movies and wonder why people refuse to show up. It will be lucky to break 1billion Honestly I couldn't give a rats arse about episode 9. Lets kill the past while we have Mary Sues and female characters no one gives a shit about being awesome while any male character is just stupid and bad. After watching the boring Captain Snoreval trailer I seriously hope Marvel aren't going the same way. Get woke and go broke.

natheel

Coach
Up at 2:30AM binge watching a Netflix series and just before I go to bed i randomly see Avengers 4 trending...

IT HAS A NAME!!

19-C14-E8-C-44-BB-4-D02-8-A85-A869-BDD39-AF6.jpg

Avengers End Game!

And the first trailer..

Can’t wait. Still got that comedic value they always get into it with Rudd.

I’m guessing the credits scene in captain marvel will be her heading to save Tony?

Game_Breaker

Coach
They don't call it a teaser trailer, but it pretty much is a teaser

I hope they don't reveal too much leading up to the release

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Not disagreeing with that. Still garbage. Sure, I'll watch it. I won't hold it up as the pinaclpi of film as some seem to though.
I grew up on Star Wars, and the original Trilogy are still some of my favourite movies. Sure they have their faults and as a grown up I can see them but they were ground breaking and well ahead of their time. The prequels were a major let down even though revenge of the Sith was pretty good. You might think it’s garbage but i’d Still prefer it than 99% of the unoriginal shit coming out of Hollywood these days.

shiznit

Coach
They don't call it a teaser trailer, but it pretty much is a teaser

I hope they don't reveal too much leading up to the release
I actually think there’s some design to that...

Has there ever been a situation like this where you have to do a trailer for 3 interlinking films coming out in 3 to 4 months...

I’m assuming for this Avengers teaser they had to stay away from anything Spider-Man or Captain Marvel as they could spoil it...

I’m interested to see the Spider-Man Far From Home trailer in the next week... apparently they will be doing 2 of them in the next week... but you’d imagine it will be tough to make something without spoiling Avengers End Game

natheel

Coach
Anyone else like the look of Hawkeye taking up the mantle of Ronin??

I’d love to see an R Rated Ronin film...
Yeh when he turned around I literally said out loud “that’s badass”

He looks like he could be a pretty good part of the film.