What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The consequences of a successful Storm legal challenge

Mr Spock!

Referee
Hi guys. I was wondering what the consequences of a successful Storm challenge to the NRL sanctions would be.

Could they have their points reinstated and be allowed to contest finals? Could they have all sanctions reversed only to be reimposed via proper channels?
Will News keep funding the Storm after Independent Commission? This whole saga is bound to have all the other clubs offside.

Personally if they are allowed to play for points and end up in the finals, it will be a joke and the season would be more farcical than it is now. I have followed the game for over 35 years supporting an underachieving side. Incidents like this make me wonder why I bother.

little_aza

Juniors
As much as I'd love our Premierships back, and as much as I'd love Melbourne to play for something this year, I just don't think it's viable. Sure, legally there's a technicality regarding the processes, but the outcome just isn't worth. Whether it's in the record books or not, 2007 and 2009 will always be regarded as the years that cheating prevailed. I just cannot see any good at all coming out of this legal challenge. Politically, the NRL just cannot let this go out of control - Gallop won't want the leadership undermined. Hopefully he never considers such an avenue, but can Gallop threaten to revoke the license, and sending it elsewhere?

Molly

Juniors
First and foremost it will ensure due process is followed for any club who breaches the rules in any way going inot the future.

Secondly, I don't think the penalties themselves will be reversed in any great way.

It may lead Gallop and the board to instill the correct penalty, which in my view was a suspension until the cap is bought in line. Unfortunately, I presume television contracts still will not allow it.

The biggest thing at risk here is probably the future of the Storm.

bartman

Immortal
Hi guys. I was wondering what the consequences of a successful Storm challenge to the NRL sanctions would be.
You'd have to assume they have no leg to stand on, and are only taking this course of action to save face (their independent Directors) and to try and show solidarity with the existing (illegal) playing group. They have to try and rally some form of culture in the joint, otherwise it will literally fall apart this year or next.

Could they have their points reinstated and be allowed to contest finals? Could they have all sanctions reversed only to be reimposed via proper channels?
Will News keep funding the Storm after Independent Commission? This whole saga is bound to have all the other clubs offside.
No, no, yes, and yes.

Personally if they are allowed to play for points and end up in the finals, it will be a joke and the season would be more farcical than it is now. I have followed the game for over 35 years supporting an underachieving side. Incidents like this make me wonder why I bother.
Agree, they've been caught red handed and the time for whinging must stop. The players must accept their part in it, accept the penalty of having to dismantle the squad (sooner rather than later), and also take responsibility for being more careful in monitoring their deals and getting assurances next time around.

The Storm can't compete for points again until they are legal. Some brainiacs like Gould thought it would only take Strom one month to shed a player and get under the cap. But it seems like Gallop had some idea of how complicated all the payments were (with new ones still being discovered) and the Storm needing until next season to sort this all out and register a legal squad.

The bastards shouldn't be wasting time on legal challenges, they should be shopping some players around to other clubs and overseas to show they now intend on competing fairly.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
As much as I'd love our Premierships back, and as much as I'd love Melbourne to play for something this year, I just don't think it's viable. Sure, legally there's a technicality regarding the processes, but the outcome just isn't worth. Whether it's in the record books or not, 2007 and 2009 will always be regarded as the years that cheating prevailed. I just cannot see any good at all coming out of this legal challenge. Politically, the NRL just cannot let this go out of control - Gallop won't want the leadership undermined. Hopefully he never considers such an avenue, but can Gallop threaten to revoke the license, and sending it elsewhere?

Do you honestly, seriously believe that Melbourne still deserve those premierships? Apart from this "due process" nonsense that's being trotted out, the simple fact remains that Melbourne fielded an illegal side for the years in which they won premierships.

What in this world (apart from a lack of common sense) could make anyone actually genuinely believe that they earned those trophies?

little_aza

Juniors
Do you honestly, seriously believe that Melbourne still deserve those premierships? Apart from this "due process" nonsense that's being trotted out, the simple fact remains that Melbourne fielded an illegal side for the years in which they won premierships.

What in this world (apart from a lack of common sense) could make anyone actually genuinely believe that they earned those trophies?

No, I honestly don't. That's why I said that 2007 and 2009 will always be regarded as the years that cheating prevailed. Just because I want them doesn't mean the Storm deserved them. I'm sure you wished your team won a premiership or two as well?

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
No, I honestly don't. That's why I said that 2007 and 2009 will always be regarded as the years that cheating prevailed. Just because I want them doesn't mean the Storm deserved them.

Glad we agree.

little_aza said:
I'm sure you wished your team won a premiership or two as well?
They've won more than one or two - six to be precise. Could always do with one more though. Here's hoping for this year.

Keysee

Juniors
Politically, the NRL just cannot let this go out of control - Gallop won't want the leadership undermined. Hopefully he never considers such an avenue, but can Gallop threaten to revoke the license, and sending it elsewhere?

Gallop has said that the NRL needs a team in Melbourne "be it Storm or whoever". This was at in his press conference outside NRL HQ the day after he announced the penalties. In was in response to the question of Storm continuing after our 3 major sponsors pulled out.
It is one of a number of unnecessary comments he has made.
For the record, I agree with you on not appealing, accepting our lumps, how to move forward for 2011.

voltron

Juniors
if its successful
it means that they have to offer a breach notice and go through proper procedure isnt it?
it doesnt mean the storm get off scott free
but it would mean that the points for this season are reinstated

but i guess with a proper investigation it means that the NRL could conceivably make the penalties even harsher on the club

Mr Spock!

Referee
What is the point of the legal challenge if not to get some if not all of the sanctions revoked?

It would be a very expensive way to challenge a lack of process for the NRL to just follow the process and give the sanctions again. It has to be more than that doesn't it?

What makes you say that ? I cant see any reversal of penalties.

but i guess with a proper investigation it means that the NRL could conceivably make the penalties even harsher on the club

The appropriateness of the investigation isnt in question. The investigation can be construed as the storm confession. Its the procedural aspects not followed in the decision making process only.

Helen

Juniors
if its successful
it means that they have to offer a breach notice and go through proper procedure isnt it?
it doesnt mean the storm get off scott free

I can't see them winning given this article.

The NRL sent a letter to the club on April 21 stating there were a number of issues concerning the cap that it wanted addressed at a meeting on April 27.
The letter proposed the matter could be resolved with either a satisfactory explanation, a further investigation, or a full confession.
Despite having six days to prepare a case, Moodie and Hanson flew to Sydney the following day where they revealed the extent of the rorts orchestrated by former chief executive Brian Waldron.

Part of the legal challenge is they didn't have time to put together legal representation.

Stormroolz

Juniors
I can't see them winning given this article.

Part of the legal challenge is they didn't have time to put together legal representation.
Weel win for shore? Those premeirships are hours and them cant take that away never. This hole thing is a NSW thing against us. Talk about unfare, we were bullyed into accenting thos ridiculous punichments. Justis will prevale.

Helen

Juniors
This article outlines the time line of events.

I found this to be interesting.

The NRL rules clearly provide for the chief executive to determine salary cap penalties.
I believe the independent directors have no leg or is the 8 legs to stand on.

This article outlines the time line of events.

I found this to be interesting.

I believe the independent directors have no leg or is the 8 legs to stand on.

We can now only sit back & wait to hear from all those storm fans who want to deny any wrong doing ever happened and that its all Gallops & News Ltds and the NRLs & Israels & the Easter Bunnys fault.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Reverse argument- what are consequences of an unsuccessful legal challenge?

By going through the legal challenge route they are continuing to thumb their nose at responsibility for their actions that caused the problem in the first place. What exactly does Melbourne Storm want as punishment? They do not even seem to accept they have been involved in, or done any wrong - either as willing or unwilling parties.

If they loose their appeal the NRL will have to apply further penalty to reinforce the rules. If they win their appeal will Melbourne Storm say thats fine and just go on like normal? No way- they will demand their pound of flesh from the NRL - damages, resignations etc. Well, Melbourne Storm should be prepared for the reverse to happen to them if they loose. Not just resignations of the directors involved but players & coach backing it (and egging them on) as well.

Latest posts