What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The corruption of the AFL is slowly being exposed.

sportive cupid

Referee
Ohh but didn't you say earlier that the media in Victoria was controlled by his " mob".
And that the courts wouldn't dare convict any AFL star?

So what bout the new regime, is it as dictatorial?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Ohh but didn't you say earlier that the media in Victoria was controlled by his " mob".
And that the courts wouldn't dare convict any AFL star?

So what bout the new regime, is it as dictatorial?

rubbish, no one said that

Vlad controls the media but not the courts

Chook

First Grade
http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/essendon-challenges-asada-afl-20140613-3a2j4.html

Essendon and its outcast senior coach, James Hird, are combining forces in a stunning Federal Court appeal of the drugs investigation conducted jointly by the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority and the AFL.

Could this have been the ultimate goal all along?

The AFL conduct a "joint" investigation with ASADA with full knowledge of the fact a joint investigation is not allowed under the ASADA statute with the end game goal being when this investigation is concluded if can be challenged and overthrown in court with all evidence under "a permanent injunction on the use of all the information collected in that investigation"?

This would affectively and consistent with normal AFL practices sweep this biggest of issues under AFL's very large carpet.

Every AFL commentator, coach, player and official would then have an "out" of never commenting on this again as it's under a permanent injunction.

All neatly wrapped up with the standard response of - move on nothing to see here

Chook.

jargan83

Coach
I'm fairly certain there is something in the ASADA legislation that allows information sharing with governing bodies so I'm not sure why they are going down this route.

Desperation perhaps? Essendon has got it wrong at every turn during this saga.

What's to stop ASADA starting a new investigation if this court action is successful?

Chook

First Grade
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/em...ndon-doping-saga/story-fnelctok-1226957980700

AN explosive email from the AFL to the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority reveals why Essendon players believed they would escape doping bans.

The email, also sent to then prime minister Julia Gillard’s office, sheds light on a major split between the AFL and ASADA over a behind-the-scenes agreement struck in February last year.

The agreement stated that “to provide an immediate level of comfort ... it will be explained to players that under a no fault or negligence defence a player can receive a complete elimination of sanction”.

WTF????

The AFL make a deal with ASADA that regardless of what they find no AFL player will face a sanction?

How high does the corruption at AFL headquarters go? The email in the article has conveniently left off the who under the "Yours Sincerely" which begs the question why was it left off?

The more layers that are peeled off this deal between the AFL and ASADA the more it reeks of underhanded, corrupt dealings.

Who at AFL headquarters will face the music over this? Is this why Demetriou resigned?

The corruption of the AFL is slowing being exposed.

Chook.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I don't see any alleged corruption here. It looks to me like the AFL is doing its best to protect its players form legal action.

The article seems to put alot of weight on the fact that the players were "advised" by others so perhaps those doing the advising maybe the ones that maybe at risk much like the Sharkies players as the argument/defence may rely on what the players "knowingly" did.

I dont know enough about what the AFL did earlier on in this saga but I think it would have been a good idea to to see the NRL get a bit more proactive earlier on in the saga.

Dogs Of War

Coach
The only way that AFL tactic would have worked is if they teamed up with the NRL. Otherwise any deal would have been rescinded immediately after it become known that one organisation received preferential treatment.

Chook

First Grade
Which is what happened when Dave Smith first heard about the "deal" and fronted the PM about the perceived preferential treatment of AFL players.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/how-secret-bombers-deal-came-unstuck-20130327-2guor.html

This whole deal is very suspect in the way it was conceived, the way it was implemented and now the way it which it is being used as a legal out for Essendon.

I would not put it past the AFL to concoct this deal with the end game being to use the deal or the failure of the deal to indemnify the players and the league itself.

Chook.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
There hasn't been any preferential treatment of AFL players, perceived or otherwise. Essendon players have received show cause notices which no NRL players have received to my knowledge.

The AFL administration seem to do anything to protect their brand and I would like to see the NRL do the same but that was never gonna happen with Gallop in charge. Dave Smith however seems to be a better operator.

Vlad was a good administrator, like him or not, but I think its his close ties to Essendon maybe one of the reasons he is jumping ship atm.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/em...ndon-doping-saga/story-fnelctok-1226957980700

AN explosive email from the AFL to the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority reveals why Essendon players believed they would escape doping bans.

The email, also sent to then prime minister Julia Gillard?s office, sheds light on a major split between the AFL and ASADA over a behind-the-scenes agreement struck in February last year.

The agreement stated that ?to provide an immediate level of comfort ... it will be explained to players that under a no fault or negligence defence a player can receive a complete elimination of sanction?.

WTF????

The AFL make a deal with ASADA that regardless of what they find no AFL player will face a sanction?

How high does the corruption at AFL headquarters go? The email in the article has conveniently left off the who under the "Yours Sincerely" which begs the question why was it left off?

The more layers that are peeled off this deal between the AFL and ASADA the more it reeks of underhanded, corrupt dealings.

Who at AFL headquarters will face the music over this? Is this why Demetriou resigned?

The corruption of the AFL is slowing being exposed.

Chook.
Very true, and a majority of posters even on bigfooty agree.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
he AFL administration seem to do anything to protect their brand and I would like to see the NRL do the same but that was never gonna happen with Gallop in charge. Dave Smith however seems to be a better operator.
Vlad was a good administrator, like him or not, but I think its his close ties to Essendon maybe one of the reasons he is jumping ship atm.

Sorry, but protecting "the brand" using the methods that Vlad and the AFL in general condone is not something I would consider good or would like to see used in the NRL. I'm happy league takes a gutfull from the media, at least it keeps them honest. All this sweeping under the carpet is slowly coming back to haunt the AFL.

Ehrlich währt am längsten.

Latest posts