What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Cowboys chances

Loudstrat

Coach
I cant help feeling that they are real smokies, and flying under the radar that is focussed on Canterbury, Souths, Manly's potential back to back, and Melbourne's continued threat of taking the title legally. Even Brisbane's form under Griffin is dominating discussion.

They are sitting 2 points shy of 4th, with the third best F and A. Below them, Cronulla and Brisbane are tripping over themselves to find finals wining form. They went close to beating Manly in a great game 2 weeks back, and absolutely smashed NZ last weekend. Thurston and Bowen are fit, and their forwards are no longer the turnstiles of recent years.

I reckon the new finals system could be the worst enemy of teams 5-8, but I just cannot see Cronulla, Brisbane or whoever comes 8th getting within 30 points of them on current form.

I give them a huge chance of making the GF.

Their fans are a bit quiet on the subject - but are they confident?

some11

Referee
Shhh, under the radar.

Just how Cows supporters like it at the moment I'm guessing.

Trentosaurus

Juniors
Cowboys can't get no respect.

I tipped them to make the grand final this year. I still believe they can. It makes no sense to me how they are so underrated.

RWB

Bench
I've put a bit of money on them throughout the season, I think they've got a really good roster.

In saying that though their two big issues are their defence and their ability to play in Sydney. They MUST finish in the top 4 if they're any chance.

Segeyaro will be a massive boost if he can get back in time for the finals series.

Cowboys woo

Juniors
I've felt we are smokies all year as well and from as early as I can remember I've always had a feeling it will be Cows vs Manly in the grand final.

We are under the radar but to be honest it is no surprise. When you have the cows scoring 50, albeit against the Warriors, and all the Sydney media are talking about is that no look pass by Benji from the same night, you know you're under the radar.

I feel a couple of teams have peaked a month to early and even some about 4 months too early (the Sharkies) while the Cowboys vs Manly are really yet to of peaked and are just going along nicely.

No one even knows who Michael Morgan is, but if someone like Curtis Sironen or Chad Townsend tore apart the Warriors like he did on Saturday, then the Sydney media would herald them as the new messiahs, in particular Slothfield. Same can be said about Taumalolo

Plus the Cows/Manly grand final is paying $21 so I put a sneaky 20 on it.

Last edited:

RABK

Referee
If Scott and Tamou get a roll on not many sides can hold them out in the ruck. Thurston is below his best however that might be a good thing - i think Thurston has often torn up the regular season only to go quiet in september, perhaps he'll turn up this september. Losing Tariq is a blow, he is such a weapon for them.

Definitely a chance for a good september run.

Didgi

We have two secret weapons in reserve too. A re-built Tariq Sims striving to re-assert himself, and if Henry uses JT3 properly, watch out.

Having said that we'll probably crash out in another sub-par display.

Canard

Immortal
f**k you Loudy, put the moccas on us :)

Tell you what the Sydney media really knows a lot about the Cowboys, the NRL's own website is reporting that if Ray Thompson is injured this weekend, then Anthony Mitchell (our back up hooker) will be playing in the halves?? DID YOU FECKING WATCH THE WARRIORS GAME LAST WEEK YOU genius??

Ladmate

Bench
They are playing great but if the Tigers play them I will be confident of a win given our past history, the way the Cowboys don't play their best against them and the way they played them this year.

Canard

Immortal
Tigers are definitely our bogey side.

Strangely before the 2005 GF, we had the wood on the tigers.

And by the "wood" I mean we used to beat you guys from time to time, in an era when we beat NOBODY.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Definite chance. Especially with Sims and Segeyaro due back in the next fortnight.

Very good pack, great depth and two of the best players in the comp in Thurston and Bowen.

beads6

First Grade
If Segeyaro was fit I'd back them 100% they just lack a good hooker to take advantage of their go forward. Should give it a good run.

Big Pete

Referee
Still feel like there's too many weaknesses in their side and not enough strike when it really matters.

Front row is great, JT can be a weapon and have a couple experienced campaigners who know how to deal with finals football but not a whole lot else.

Reckon they'll be lucky to make it past week 2.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
A lot was proven in the performances against Canterbury and Manly, especially the latter.

Manly are looking the most ominous side in the comp right now and our defense made them look quite impotent. Although, we never even looked like croosing their line the whole game, and a lucky bounce contributed to our only try. It was a very defensive game.

I think the key for NQ is to get into fourth spot. From there, they are guaranteed a home final in the second week, win or lose and they are far more formidable at home.

Henry's selection policies are still baffling many supporters. Anthony Mitchell was proving an extremely good pickup and superior to Segeyaro in almost every way. Yet he finds himself on the outer for a player completely unproven in the position. Who knows the way his mind works sometimes?

But all negatives aside, the team is travelling better than they have for many seasons, with quality players in form, notably Matt Bowen, Matt Scott and Brent Tate. Thurston isn't at his best but not far away from being there.

The club will prove formidable opposition to any side they come up against.