What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The damage done

Dragon David

First Grade
Well we should note that:
Illawarra was in debt to SGI by approx. $6m
SGI was in debt to the NRL by approx. $6m
Illawarra were also in debt to the Gordons / WIN Corp and this debt was forgiven as part of the deal

So if St George called in the Illawarra debt and ceased the Illawarra shares as payment in full and then accepted the Paul Smith higher bid of $10m St George would have been able to pay the NRL the outstanding $6m and still have $4m in the bank to spend how they like. There new partner would have brought to the club professional management with a desire to be top of the ladder and win, win, win.

Doust went with WIN Corp and the Gordons because he had secured the tenure of the hand full of old boys living the good life with plumb SGI jobs. I call nepotism to the extreme and believe the NRL should conduct an investigation. Where are the investigative reporters now?
Where indeed Possm? All in it together this lot. They just make their own arrangements to suit themselves and would appear to be evermore.

Dragon David

First Grade
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/mo...an-sailor-looks-for-exit-20200610-p551df.html

Another one, will the last person to leave turn the lights out please. It just gets worse and worse.
This certainly was on the cards. Sailor has not been given any chances of playing first grade this year. The problem we have now is that we say that we won't make the finals this year and that the juniors/younger players should be given games to play (not one but several) to see how they would go because there is nothing to lose. However, because bloody Mary has got to win as many games in the next 4 weeks, he now cannot try to experiment with the youths just in case the team loses the games meaning he could be sacked.

To me, Sailor has more in him than Dufty and if Sailor was to leave the Dragons, who knows, he might kill it with another club.

Generalzod

Immortal
There was no review

The club and Gould are full of shit.

2 players were spoken to and a suggestion of Flanno was put to saints.
Hence Gus not being happy I suggested this to him and he blocks me when I said DM me and we can discuss how I know.

That is why he is so against being asked anything about the non review
When asked about it on that Monday night footy show on 9 about this review at St George at the time he kind of kept quiet about it.....

Last edited:

Coffs dragon

Bench
There was no review

The club and Gould are full of shit.

2 players were spoken to and a suggestion of Flanno was put to saints.
Hence Gus not being happy I suggested this to him and he blocks me when I said DM me and we can discuss how I know.

That is why he is so against being asked anything about the non review
I’m suspecting it was a Claytons review with the prime aim to get Flanno a gig at the Dragons as both Gus & Flanno are managed by the same Agent.

getsmarty

Immortal
Inside Dragons’ freefall — from powerhouse to an NRL disgrace ‘devoid of soul’
Dragons
james_hooper.jpg

2c03670341d2b1e25259c59ffd605d78

Issac Luke of the Dragons looks on during the torrid loss to Canterbury.Source: Getty Images
The once mighty Red V of St George Illawarra stands accused of being inept, devoid of soul and having no DNA.

It would never have happened under the watch of Wayne Bennett, Harry Bath, Norm Provan or Frank Facer.

What sort of reactive powerbrokers call an emergency general meeting and then issue the full support of the board to the coach? Dribble.

Everyone knows it means Paul McGregor will most likely be gone by the middle of next month.

Round 5
Fox Sports can confirm the Dragons directors discussed moving on McGregor on Tuesday - along with his most likely replacement.

The answer is assistant coach Dean Young.

Maybe the directors looked at the draw and realised it was only a matter of time for Mary given their schedule over the next five weeks; arch-rivals Cronulla, the Gold Coast, the Roosters, Canberra and Manly.

The way they’re playing at the moment – like strangers as McGregor put it – the Dragons will be flat out winning one of those games.

775907_640x360_large_20200609175822.jpg

Payout may have saved Mary

There is a view Mary is too hard on his emerging NRL players – Zac Lomax, Matt Dufty, Jason Saab, Tristan Sailor – and too soft on senior players like James Graham, Corey Norman, Tyson Frizell and Tariq Sims.

There’s a story from last year where McGregor intended to axe prop Jeremy Latimore until the old-school front-rower went and sat down in the coach’s office in Wollongong.

The end result was Latimore retained his position in the side.

The soft-serve waffle coming out of their new L-plate CEO might sound nice in a zoom meeting about marketing but in the hostile world of NRL CEOs, player agents, media and coaches he’s going to get barbecued.

Board room politics normally makes most NRL fans glaze over but in this instance it’s important to understand exactly how the decision-makers at St George Illawarra are hiding in the shadows.

There are eight directors on the Red V board – four from WIN Corporation and four from St George.

The St George District Rugby League football side of the board room is Peter Doust, Craig Young, Ralph Piggot and Peter Black.

The WIN directors are chairman Andrew Gordon, Andrew Lancaster, Craig Osborne and Graham Gulloch.

Doust – the one-time Dragons CEO famous for brining Wayne Bennett to the club – has recently returned to the board this year.

This is said to have unsettled the multi-millionaire boss of WIN Corporation and 50 per cent owner of St George Illawarra Bruce Gordon.

Gordon has been associated with the Illawarra Steelers since their inception into the old NSW Rugby League competition in 1982.

He’s now 91 and worth around $800 million.

Nothing happens on the WIN Corp side of the board room without his approval.

To terminate McGregor the board needs the numbers to be at least 5-3 but like in the old Wests Tigers days traditionally voting sits aligned with the St George four and the Illawarra four.

The question all Red V fans now want answered is how much longer for Mary?

McGregor keeps referencing how the Dragons finished one game shy of the game to get into the grand final in 2018 – which they did.

And they went down swinging in extra time against South Sydney in a field-goal shoot out.

But the more damning statistics now doing the rounds are the sequences of losing streaks during McGregor’s seven-year tenure in Wollongong.

McGregor holds the unwanted tag of the longest losing streak in the 21-year history of the joint venture club with seven consecutive losses from 2015.

More recently there’s another two sets of five consecutive losses last season when the Dragons finished 15th.

If the Dragons want a different result, some energy in terms of line speed and someone looking to intentionally rattle the opposition, the coach needs to shake-up his side like Bulldogs coach Dean Pay and Gold Coast coach Justin Holbrook did last week.

The young guns like Saab, Ford, Jacob Host and Billy Britain are surely due for a crack. They’ve got nothing to lose.

The reputation of one of the most decorated clubs in rugby league is already pulverised.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...v/news-story/36fef3f6f9d63d075deaee7520adf854

dragons girl

Juniors
This certainly was on the cards. Sailor has not been given any chances of playing first grade this year. The problem we have now is that we say that we won't make the finals this year and that the juniors/younger players should be given games to play (not one but several) to see how they would go because there is nothing to lose. However, because bloody Mary has got to win as many games in the next 4 weeks, he now cannot try to experiment with the youths just in case the team loses the games meaning he could be sacked.

To me, Sailor has more in him than Dufty and if Sailor was to leave the Dragons, who knows, he might kill it with another club.
Youngsters should have played last year but we all know Mary has no faith in the juniors and would rather stick with badly out of form seasoned first graders.the whole situation has become a joke.With 4 games to save his job he should be trying different players,instead we will end up losing our junior and once again have to buy has beens and fringe first graders.Well done Mary and everyone else involved in this shit show