What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The day the Parramatta Eels broke Nathan Hindmarsh's heart

Gronk

Staff member
THE absurdity that Parramatta is on the hunt for a new coach is laid bare on page 280 of Nathan Hindmarsh's soon-to-be-released autobiography.

A few weeks before the 2010 season ended, Hindmarsh and Nathan Cayless were called to a meeting with chairman Roy Spagnolo and then-chief executive Paul Osborne.
"Do you want Daniel Anderson to be your coach next year?" they asked the players.
"Yes. We do."
"Fine. He's your coach next year," they said point-blank.
Two weeks later, Anderson was sacked.
As Hindmarsh explains in his book, Old School: "That pissed me off. Some people said it was about (former chief executive) Denis Fitzgerald and that the board wanted to make a clean break.
"I was filthy. I had known Daniel for years, ever since my time as a junior. Beyond that, I was always going to back him. Two years is not enough time for a coach to achieve his goals, and it's not enough time to judge whether he's been a success, particularly after he'd taken us to the grand final in his first year."
Whether it was the right move or not, the decision to sack Anderson created a chain of events that nobody at the Eels saw coming, not least the veteran backrower.
It ended in the sorry scene yesterday with an ashen-faced Hindmarsh at a press conference sitting next to Stephen Kearney, who confirmed he was standing down as coach after a season-and-a-half of darkness.
"There are no hard feelings," Hindmarsh told The Daily Telegraph this week of Anderson's premature demise. "Things had changed. I understand that. You can't always keep promises and that's life. Circumstances changed. As much as I wanted Ando to remain for another season, it wasn't to be.
"I was filthy at the time but it took me a week to get over it. You're trying to run a business, and that's how businesses are run."
As a football team, though, the Eels are at rock bottom.
Hindmarsh explains in his book how Kearney had displayed a hard-arsed attitude the moment he walked in.
"If you're not willing to work hard, you can f. .k off," Kearney told the players on the first day of pre-season training in 2011.
New assistant coach Brad Arthur set a brutal standard. He was quickly nicknamed "Tummy Ache" because he was "very hard, and hammered us in training".
The fact those tough words on day one have failed to bring about the systematic change Spagnolo and his board had envisaged means one of their proudest players is glaring at the possibility of finishing his final season with the wooden spoon.
Hindmarsh talks in his book about the relief of avoiding it last year. What of this year?
"Of course, no one wants to win the spoon, particularly in my last year," he says. "I haven't succumbed to the point where we're going to receive it, but if it happens it happens. That's part of playing the sport we love.
"Unfortunately, for us, it could be this year."
Is he comfortable with the way his 15-year career is going to end?
"What do you do? Honestly?" he says firmly. "For me, I'll be more disappointed that I didn't win a grand final. I would've loved to have won a grand final. I've been fortunate enough to play in two. A lot of blokes haven't played in any. I've managed to play for my country and my state so I can't really complain."
Hindmarsh can say that but there wouldn't be a soul in the game who didn't wish something better for the most popular bloke in the NRL.
He admits in Old School that the captaincy in the last two seasons has been challenging.
While he's a throwback to a different era, young footballers have changed considerably since he was the freckle-faced kid under the watchful eye of coach Brian Smith, who he singles out as the most influential person in his life apart from his parents.
During Hindmarsh's 300th match of his career last season, he saw a blank look on the face of backrower Taniela Lasalo. He gave him a gobful.
"Younger blokes have changed," Hindmarsh says. "But we've changed as older players as well. I won't say we let them get away with things, but when I came through the grades I would barely say a word unless I was spoken to by blokes like Jim Dymock and Jason Smith. I was very cautious around them, and made sure I did what I was told. As long as blokes have put in, I don't care about the result.
"What I can't cop is blokes not putting in, week in and week out. I'm not targeting anyone, I'm just speaking in general ... The captaincy has been a challenge."
He has just seven matches to go.
"Will I be all right in retirement?" he says. "I don't know. I know I will be, but when my brother (Ian) first retired he said he definitely missed it. For nearly half my life, I've played rugby league for Parra. I'm looking forward to retiring, to weekends, to being normal.
"Enjoying my weekends without the pressure of having to go out and make 50 tackles."
Those last 50 tackles will be made at Parra Stadium against the Dragons in the final round. An emotional final lap beckons.
"That goes through my head," he smiles. "I remember the Mortimers when they retired, with the kids on the field with the jerseys on, after a grand final. There will probably be tears. I get a bit emotional. Actually, I'll be with Burty (Luke Burt) so he will be the one crying, I'd say. I'll get over it. I've got another 30 years of doing whatever I've got to do."
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/the-day-the-parramatta-eels-broke-nathan-hindmarshs-heart/story-e6frfgbo-1226431216002

strider

Post Whore
hmmmm

i hope they at least talked about the sacking with the 2 Nath's before pulling the plug .... i believe ando played a part in his own demise

i try to be accepting of the board - i think they have done some good things ... i just have some serious doubts about the way they do things ... and am very disappointed that they never followed through with plenty of things that they used to get to power .... senior players don't dictate how a club is run, but they need to be involved

emjaycee

Coach
hmmmm

i hope they at least talked about the sacking with the 2 Nath's before pulling the plug .... i believe ando played a part in his own demise

i try to be accepting of the board - i think they have done some good things ... i just have some serious doubts about the way they do things ... and am very disappointed that they never followed through with plenty of things that they used to get to power .... senior players don't dictate how a club is run, but they need to be involved

They do at Parramatta.

strider

Post Whore
i'm not so sure given this story

of course every senior player at every club gets pampered and gets his way plenty of the time - it's no different to anything in life - if something is important you give it some extra cred

Wise Old Eel

Juniors

It always baffles me why certain coaches get more leeway from fans than others. Both Anderson (of whom I am unashamedly a fan) and Hagan had better records than SK but it was SK who lots of you on here supported (some right to the end). I personally never saw what some of you saw in him.

Stephen Kearney came from the Storm, where consistency was the order of the day. It appeared he wanted to replicate that here. A noble objective. He was just not capable of getting the job done.

On the other hand, Hags and Ando were of a different school of thought (IMO). Do enough to get through to the finals & then it's a completely different ball game.

Both ways have their merits. The Storm's way seems to justify (to most people) appearances in the semis. But the down side is that fatigue takes its toll and teams sometimes have no way to "lift" when the finals come around because they have been going at full tilt all season.

Under Hagan and Anderson, you could see the team go to another gear when they made the finals. It made people question why they could not do it all year. With the Eels, it could have been simply we did not have the players to be consistent all year & both coaches saw that and planned things accordingly. Others, like yourself, would disagree.

In the EPL, it is first past the post. The Storm's way of doing things would work best but in the NRL minor premierships mean very little. You only need to win a little more than half your games to still be in the running to win the comp. Anderson did this in 2009 with a team most on here said would be lucky to avoid the spoon. Personally, I hope our next coach has that ability to instil belief in our players at the right end of the season.

WOE

hineyrulz

Post Whore
It always baffles me why certain coaches get more leeway from fans than others. Both Anderson (of whom I am unashamedly a fan) and Hagan had better records than SK but it was SK who lots of you on here supported (some right to the end). I personally never saw what some of you saw in him.

Stephen Kearney came from the Storm, where consistency was the order of the day. It appeared he wanted to replicate that here. A noble objective. He was just not capable of getting the job done.

On the other hand, Hags and Ando were of a different school of thought (IMO). Do enough to get through to the finals & then it's a completely different ball game.

Both ways have their merits. The Storm's way seems to justify (to most people) appearances in the semis. But the down side is that fatigue takes its toll and teams sometimes have no way to "lift" when the finals come around because they have been going at full tilt all season.

Under Hagan and Anderson, you could see the team go to another gear when they made the finals. It made people question why they could not do it all year. With the Eels, it could have been simply we did not have the players to be consistent all year & both coaches saw that and planned things accordingly. Others, like yourself, would disagree.

In the EPL, it is first past the post. The Storm's way of doing things would work best but in the NRL minor premierships mean very little. You only need to win a little more than half your games to still be in the running to win the comp. Anderson did this in 2009 with a team most on here said would be lucky to avoid the spoon. Personally, I hope our next coach has that ability to instil belief in our players at the right end of the season.

WOE
Do you really think he is the right choice to come back after all that has gone on???? And would he want to??? I highly doubt it. I was dirty when they sacked the guy but FMD i really think it's time to move on. I was one of those Kearney supporters not ashamed to admit it and as you say he for some reason wasn't capable of pulling off the plans he put into place.

that is typical of big business today, ask the employee's what they want only to do what ever suits management, it just says to the employee's were listen to you and care and then slaps them in the face. Great way to kill morale.

Gronk

Staff member
Yeah I agree. This is more about honesty than players dictating direction.

Spag consulted Hindy on the coach and told him that his job was secure. Then he sacked him.

Dont consult the captain and then lie to him FFS.

Anyway water under the bridge, but I get where Hindy is coming from. He would never conduct himself like that.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Yeah I agree. This is more about honesty than players dictating direction.

Spag consulted Hindy on the coach and told him that his job was secure. Then he sacked him.

Dont consult the captain and then lie to him FFS.

Anyway water under the bridge, but I get where Hindy is coming from. He would never conduct himself like that.
Agreed, Hindy is an all time great at the club and Spags pretty much crapped on him. Not cool.

natheel

Coach
I have a feeling this book will bring forth alot of shit that was behind closed doors that the fans needed to hear and hopefully show people certain members are complete and utter useless pricks

pk76

Juniors

Good post and you have answered your own question. People who could see SK's vision for the club were more lenient because they understood what he tried to do. Consistency (and salaray cap rorting) have made the Storm the powerhouse club in the last 5 years.

Look I was disappointed to see Ando go and thought he deserved another year. i think he lost popular support especially after he dared to criticise Hayne (God forbid, a coach kicking some backside!). But I was very happy to see Hagan go because he ran out of ideas after his first year. Hagan was not a long term coach, just ask Knights supporters and Jason Taylor!