What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The disgraceful performance of the Newtown Jets A Grade

brendothejet

First Grade
All,

I am currently sitting at work reflecting on what I consider to be the lowest ebb in recent Newtown history.

For the last 5 weeks a core group of players, dedicated to Newtown, have spent their time preparing for what was to be their finest hour.

In front of friends, family, sponsors, selectors, journalists, an NRL club and the governing body of another country - the A grade jets did nothing but dishonour the jersey and make fools of themselves.

in what should have been a great game of football idiotic players, from both sides, could not let their petty egos go and simply get on with the job at hand. people will spend their time saying "he said this, he said that," but at the end of the day the bigger man shuts his mouth and fixes the wrongs in a good square tackle.

instead of playing the football that we are capable of Newtown decided that a boxing match was a more fitting exhibition for the crowd. now, whilst many of you yearn for the days were men were men and a stiff arm was as good as a stiff drink, today was not the time for that.

The Junior Jets had a chance to really show something of themselves as a team and an organisation. Instead of proving themselves to be footballers and decent ones at that, they resembled not the rugby league players that train at Tempe reserve, but the clowns from Ashton's Circus that set up tent there every summer.

i would like to apologise to anyone who came down early to watch the game. I know for a fact that several people left and requested their money back at the gate. I can't envisage the Greek Rugby League knocking on our door for another game again any time soon.

The jets have hurt their players, their fans, their sponsors and the jersey today.

As I walked off the field, and indeed during the game, i could not believe what i was seeing. A club of 100 years tradition was being spat on by arrogant little sh*ts who think they are god's gift to the game. Too many of these players have been pampered to because of the qualities as a footballer. I know that i'd rather play along blokes known for their qualities as a man. There is nothing brave or courageous about running to a man on the bench and trying to punch him. There is nothing intelligent in standing on a field calling players every name under the sun when you are 14 points in arrears where it counts.

Today was supposed to be a day I could look back upon with pride. I've been waiting for four years to play at Henson Park as a curtain raiser match. instead of reminiscing about a great game and a great life experience, I find myself questioning the point of putting up with people who are obviously there for themselves and their egos, rather than a team.

If anyone from the Greek RL is reading this forum I apologise for those players who ruined a match for all. i wish you all the best in the student world cup in Brisbane and in your efforts to develop RL in Greece.

To anyone who came down to watch the game then the A grade team owes you an hour of your time back.

For 15 years i've been putting a positive spin on my abilities as a footballer. To glean something positive from what happened today would take a Shane Warne wrongun on a 3rd day sub-continent wicket.

So concludes 2007 for the Newtown Jets A Grade. A depressing, yet probablt apt way to end.

Thanks to everyone who helped make the year possible. Gary, Peter, Dean, Ian, Alex and the rest of the folks at the Juniors. you all do a top job and I'm sorry the players couldn't meet you half way today.

Regards,

Brendan "brendothejet" Smith

Skinner

Coach
Jeez brendo, that's a sad tale mate.

Good on you for fronting up and saying it. It's obviously from the heart mate.

Skinner

Bluebag

Juniors
Well said Brendo, This game was a trial to do it again in the future but it will never happen again, all efforts were made to make this a special occassion but it appears there were some players who thought they were special and could take matters into their own hands when called names.

It shows the difference between park football heroes and those who want to play at at higher level. I hope those heroes enjoyed there moment in the sun as you all blew your chance. It will be interesting to see the outcome of what happens in fact.

I spent a lot of time working on that game and yuo will never know how P***ed off I was when the refs said it was all over. Was it the names the greeks called some players but given they were mostly under 20's players against grown men we should have known better. And they were winning.

I well remember during the year when the A-grade complained about cheap shots from other sides and then for grown men to spit the dummy over names from mainly under 18's is ridiculous.

Kudo's to you BTJ for putting your hand up.

I got there about 2pm I sat on the hill in the rain for nothing. I was pissed off considering I got into an argument for going to the game early, I took a hit to support you guys. It was your time to shine and I don't know where it went wrong but I am sure you guys won't get a second chance which is a shame I am more forgiving. I certainly could'nt explain to my son why the game wasn't on.

Windmill defence systems - the best thing about that game.

Bluebag

Juniors
Yuo are correct Diehard, we will endeavour in the future to get whatever curtain raisers that we can but it WILL NOT involve the A-Grade side.

Maybe Just Brendo and the Windmill Defence systems doing a coaching clinic for kids who cannot tackle and never will.

jets75

Juniors
yeah im sure the fans would all flock to the ground to see the auburn alligators vs rockdale rhinos instead of their own junior side. At the end of the day it was a fight. Its a contact sport and in the heat of battle s*it happens. I know as a true newtown fan i would rather pay my 8 dollars to watch the newtown a grade rather than two random sides

brendothejet said:
All,

I am currently sitting at work reflecting on what I consider to be the lowest ebb in recent Newtown history.

For the last 5 weeks a core group of players, dedicated to Newtown, have spent their time preparing for what was to be their finest hour.

In front of friends, family, sponsors, selectors, journalists, an NRL club and the governing body of another country - the A grade jets did nothing but dishonour the jersey and make fools of themselves.

in what should have been a great game of football idiotic players, from both sides, could not let their petty egos go and simply get on with the job at hand. people will spend their time saying "he said this, he said that," but at the end of the day the bigger man shuts his mouth and fixes the wrongs in a good square tackle.

instead of playing the football that we are capable of Newtown decided that a boxing match was a more fitting exhibition for the crowd. now, whilst many of you yearn for the days were men were men and a stiff arm was as good as a stiff drink, today was not the time for that.

The Junior Jets had a chance to really show something of themselves as a team and an organisation. Instead of proving themselves to be footballers and decent ones at that, they resembled not the rugby league players that train at Tempe reserve, but the clowns from Ashton's Circus that set up tent there every summer.

i would like to apologise to anyone who came down early to watch the game. I know for a fact that several people left and requested their money back at the gate. I can't envisage the Greek Rugby League knocking on our door for another game again any time soon.

The jets have hurt their players, their fans, their sponsors and the jersey today.

As I walked off the field, and indeed during the game, i could not believe what i was seeing. A club of 100 years tradition was being spat on by arrogant little sh*ts who think they are god's gift to the game. Too many of these players have been pampered to because of the qualities as a footballer. I know that i'd rather play along blokes known for their qualities as a man. There is nothing brave or courageous about running to a man on the bench and trying to punch him. There is nothing intelligent in standing on a field calling players every name under the sun when you are 14 points in arrears where it counts.

Today was supposed to be a day I could look back upon with pride. I've been waiting for four years to play at Henson Park as a curtain raiser match. instead of reminiscing about a great game and a great life experience, I find myself questioning the point of putting up with people who are obviously there for themselves and their egos, rather than a team.

If anyone from the Greek RL is reading this forum I apologise for those players who ruined a match for all. i wish you all the best in the student world cup in Brisbane and in your efforts to develop RL in Greece.

To anyone who came down to watch the game then the A grade team owes you an hour of your time back.

For 15 years i've been putting a positive spin on my abilities as a footballer. To glean something positive from what happened today would take a Shane Warne wrongun on a 3rd day sub-continent wicket.

So concludes 2007 for the Newtown Jets A Grade. A depressing, yet probablt apt way to end.

Thanks to everyone who helped make the year possible. Gary, Peter, Dean, Ian, Alex and the rest of the folks at the Juniors. you all do a top job and I'm sorry the players couldn't meet you half way today.

Regards,

Brendan "brendothejet" Smith
Brendo.

I take my hat off to you, You say it as it is and that my friend is much more than the majority of those who sit on the board, your passion for newtown is only shadowed by your self appraisal and is much needed around newtow.
I would also like to thank you, your fellow A grade mates, Gary and Peter for extending the hand of hospitality to Jenny, her father and myself. (even if that weed who assist with commentary kept poking his head around the corner keeping an eye on proceedings)
as far as quality football on display at Henson park, that has not been seen in 2007.

brendothejet

First Grade
thanks everyone for your support.

Its a shame to think the A grade won't get another chance to play at Henson.

I guess you'll all just have to make do with watching me in the premier league next year! ;)

Kingy83

Juniors
Brendo,
I wont say i told you so, Ill put a more reflective spin on it.

Clearly this was the reason i wanted nothing to do with the game from a playing point of view, but even sitting on the bench for the 10 minutes that i did was frustrating. I got a close up view of some bitching that would make an under 16's netball team proud.

There was plenty of warning that this type of thing would occur in our "regular" season. You shouldnt put your (often inflated) reputation on the line for people with less brain matter than JFK

Well said Bren....

As one of the "bench-warmers" who didn't get any game time because of the moronic actions of a few, whose IQ is smaller than their boot size, to say I'm disappointed would be the understatement of the eon.

For many years I've watched brendo live out his passion for the sport and whilst his shameless self-promotion sometimes overshadows his ability, he represents what the game, and in particular, Newtown is all about. Heart, passion, commitment, loyalty.

Now of course claims of bias can be levelled against me as I have agentic connection with the aforementioned brendo, but it can't be argued that if more put as much into the game, and indeed to the Jets as he does, then both would be better off.

Saturday was a chance for an oldtimer to relive some former glories and play a serious game of league with his son. That chance (probably the last) was killed by the most mindless, purile, and indefensible behaviour of players who should have known better. I now have a souvenir jersey that has no value on any level. My family came to watch two generations play in a part of league history, and what they got for their collective $8 was a blight on the sport. Well done dickheads.

To the lads who turned up to play for real, it was an honour sharing the sheds, the jersey, and the forty minutes with you. Thanks for the opportunity.

And Kingy? With respect. This had NOTHING to do with why you didn't play.

The Oldest Debutante.

Bluebag

Juniors

Having a support game is about attracting people to watch the main game, while you consider yourself to be a jets fan remember that the A-grade side was playing against boys as many played SG ball this year, also the heat of battle is one thing but the image of the club has also to be looked at and that effort is hardly a reflection of what this club is about.

It proves that A-grade is played by thugs and given they played boys even if they did start sldeging racist remarks which is hardly an excuse for carrying on with that behaviour. Brendo I am told was definately not involved as he is never been known to hold his hands up other than to surrender.

Jets75 when we had the Army V navy play we had more people, more revenue than what was on Saturday and better behaviour on the field. Those 2 sections of the armed forces hate each other yet still played footy.

I also believd that the refs should have sent off those involved and a better resolution sought but it was men against boys. I do feel for your Oldest debutante for not having the opportunity to play but as has been posted the few idiots always stuff up the majority.

Perhaps the juniors should have reimbursed the crowd and not let those upstairs to booze on afterwards.

Bluebag

Juniors
Jets 75,

While it is nice to have another game involving Newtown there is no point if it costs more to host than what is earned hence why we have no Jim Beam side as at stand alone games the crowds were terrible and not a benefit for the club in the long term.

jets75

Juniors
bluebag,

after the a grade game finished on saturday hensen park looked like a bank in redfern on the off pension week! there was no bastard thereto watch premier league anyway.It has also came to my attention that there was a fight in that armed forces game you were refering to. At the end of the day it was a poor decion by the referee to call off the game, as you said a couple of send off's would have been fine so the boys who turned up to play could off. I just think not letting the a grade side play before themain game again is justified. Also who gives a flying f**k if they got on the drink after the game.They turn up to play, dont get paid to do it and the junior club paid for the beers and food costing the senior club nothing once again!!!!!
Doesn't the senior club owe the juniors anyway? hmmmmmmm:shock:

jets75

Juniors
oldest debutante.

im sure your son really appreciate's the fact you turned up to play with him. I got to play a game with my father a few years back and it was one of the highlights of my life. Its just sad a few di*kheads had to ruin the day foreveryone involved

brendothejet

First Grade
Well its good to see this has sparked some controversy.

the Junior jets should play at henson, but before that happens again we need to stop importing players from the Correctional Services league and start bringing in some decent people as well as players.

Bluebag

Juniors
Jets,

The beer is seniors beer, the fight in the defence forces was all over in a flash and the players sin binned. Jets players were carrying on at half time walking up the race with pushing among players.
I am dirty on the juniors, as a big supporter that i went to a lot of trouble building it up only to have idiots ruin it for all parties, I have tried throughout the year to get A-grade to play and had little support in gettingthings done, I organised the refs, I organised the drinks, I chased up sponsors to be listed except for Brendo as I thought his was a classic Windmill defence systems. I have done a lot of work trying to get things for them and feel betrayed by their actions and with no remorse until brendo and oldest debutante. The crowd was never going to be big with the weather, never is when the sky is grey but that is life.

When you repeatedly get asked by players for free tickets the game which I declined and they spend no money at the game which other clubs do then why should I spend my time helping them.

Although Brendo cops a lot of flack he did put his hand up with this post and deserves much to my chagrin a rap, (you will get no more from me brendo). It was an emabarrassment to the club. Where were a lot of these guys that turned up for this game that let the team down throughout the year.

I would prefer to get a game with the younger kids to play before hand as they want to play footy and not be tough guys against kids.

I'm not so sure it was about "tough guys against kids", of course the Greeks were young blokes, but they more than held their opwn against the "adults". The scoreboard will testify to that.

Before the game there was the usual "lets win this", "let's show what Newtown is all about", "let's smash 'em".... yada yada... now that's all well and good, and a part of the pre-match energy, but when it became apparent that the Greeks were not going to be a pushover (they had only one bench player, we had seven and they still outplayed us) the few yobbos decided that being a "hero" was worth more than being a team member. In my many years on this planet, I have never seen a player have to be restrained by half his team, as was the case on saturday. Truly a blight on the sport and the Club. There can be no excuse and none should be accepted. It was pathetic. Simple as that.

This game was a struggle to get up from day 1. The first training sessions were appalling due to hardly anyone turning up, and then the glory seekers finally got on board and it was on. sadly, the kind of on it was, was really more an off.

Such is life. Put it down to experience. There's always next year's comp to debut in :)

Cheers

THECURSEDJET

Juniors
Bluebag said:

Having a support game is about attracting people to watch the main game, while you consider yourself to be a jets fan remember that the A-grade side was playing against boys as many played SG ball this year, also the heat of battle is one thing but the image of the club has also to be looked at and that effort is hardly a reflection of what this club is about.

It proves that A-grade is played by thugs and given they played boys even if they did start sldeging racist remarks which is hardly an excuse for carrying on with that behaviour. Brendo I am told was definately not involved as he is never been known to hold his hands up other than to surrender.

Jets75 when we had the Army V navy play we had more people, more revenue than what was on Saturday and better behaviour on the field. Those 2 sections of the armed forces hate each other yet still played footy.

I also believd that the refs should have sent off those involved and a better resolution sought but it was men against boys. I do feel for your Oldest debutante for not having the opportunity to play but as has been posted the few idiots always stuff up the majority.

Perhaps the juniors should have reimbursed the crowd and not let those upstairs to booze on afterwards.
why? why? why?

we have our beloved moderator, bluebag, low and behold, he now has a spin doctor! (not hard to see through the skirt the spin Doctor wears)

wtf is going on on this piss ant forum?

I refuse to attend Henson Park, but from what is being posted, why don't we get a few of these guys up to prem league, they obviously play with the passion so many over paid, over rated prem leaguers lack.