What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The first Hagan appreciation society thread

Swiftstylez

Bench
while i acknowledge that hagan did a fair bit of good in his first year i think he isn't cutting it.

yes, he did manage to keep a chunk of our young talented players but the writing was on the wall last year. i guess hindsight is a great thing.

when you consider how we struggled against teams we should've beaten comfortably in 2007 it makes you wonder if his nice guy approach is really cut out for top grade coaching. i don't think i've seen our side pumped for a game since hagan took over the reigns.

when you look at who he's let go it makes you wonder about him (or if someone is instructing him to let players go to save $$$). it also doesn't help that he comes out with a line like "the game has become boring and that's how you need to play it to win games". i guess someone forgot to give a copy of the hagan report to clubs like melbourne, manly, brisbane, dragons and roosters.

looking at our team's gradual drop in defensive ability since hagan as well it makes it hard to see us doing any better unless we either change our defensive training or coaching staff.

having seen many of our good young players come through to first grade and how they like to play i also wouldn't be surprised if [speculation] many of them were getting disenchanted with the style of play the coach wants and ended up wanting out if hagan stays.[/speculation]

What was wrong with our defence on Friday night? If Hagan wants to persist with his "boring" game plan and it doesn't come off and is too stubborn to change it, then he will eventually admit that he was wrong himself (I know, a hard thing to do for him, but he is sticking by his guns). I think he is going to allow them/already is allowing them to unleash in their oppositions 30 or 40... it's almost time that the mechanics of our side are ready to come together. If we can beat the knights, hopefully that instills a little bit of faith into the non-believers... I know that you have plenty of reasons not too like him thus far this reason, but I think people are generalizing Hagan through 3rd party reports and reading him as if he was a text book... he isn't THAT bad.

spiderdan

Bench
What was wrong with our defence on Friday night? If Hagan wants to persist with his "boring" game plan and it doesn't come off and is too stubborn to change it, then he will eventually admit that he was wrong himself (I know, a hard thing to do for him, but he is sticking by his guns). I think he is going to allow them/already is allowing them to unleash in their oppositions 30 or 40... it's almost time that the mechanics of our side are ready to come together. If we can beat the knights, hopefully that instills a little bit of faith into the non-believers... I know that you have plenty of reasons not too like him thus far this reason, but I think people are generalizing Hagan through 3rd party reports and reading him as if he was a text book... he isn't THAT bad.
our defence i don't think was really tested on friday night. the cowboys were like ship without a rudder........or sails......or crew. against any of the top 4 i think we would've leaked 40 points not 4. the boring game plan doesn't need to be tried to prove it doesn't work. it's common sense that it would be one dimmensional and predicatable (much like when brian smith wanted to employ a similar strategy with an extra forward playing 5/8).

how many times have you seen a side that seemingly shouldn't be competitive but is (eg. raiders)? the reasons are that the coach of those sides do well is because the coach can motivate them as well as the coach will train them based on the players strengths. our strengths are that we have flair in our backs who can score points almost at will when the forwards create a bit of space for them. so far this year we have only really seen that when mateo does his thing (which seems to be completely the opposite of hagan's plan).

players like fuifui, cayless, hindmarsh and robinson all have the ability to offload and setup 2nd phase play but rarely have because of the restrictive nature in which they are coached. this is part of the reason we can't score so many points.

the other big thing is when did we forget how to defend??? this is probably the worst defensive team i can remember for years.

bottom line is the coaching staff aren't doing their jobs right. earlier in the year i could see a whole heap of positives in our side that we should've improved upon. sadly, i think our side has actually got worse as the year has gone on.

HevyDevy

Coach

You do realise we're heading into round 21 don't you?

lucablight

First Grade
Hagan had a really good side last year and instead of building on it we're going backwards. I don't see why people aren't entitled to be disgruntled.

barney gumble

Juniors

After reading your posts I've come to the conclusion that you're either Hagan's mum or your a raving lunatic.

roopy

Referee
I'd like to say that i appreciate that hages left Newcastle - and i'm also pretty happy about him naming Todd Lowrie this week.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Threads quiet:lol:

I reckon a Todd Lowrie appreciation thread would get more votes then Hagan, just shows what tripe he is :lol:

Swiftstylez

Bench
Threads still quiet:lol:

Any new quotes from the great man this week?:lol:

Well the most famous Michael Hagan quote has already been discussed in depth for this week, the one where he wishes we could play the tigers every week... Clever wit from a clever man.

There is an article however that I find interesting in the back of Big League, about when Finch first met his Hero (played against him), Andrew Johns. Incidentally this is the man that apparently made Michael Hagan the famous coach he is today (Disagree with). This was when Brett Finch was playing for the Raiders and they were vsing the Knights in 2001. Interesting to note that Johns dubbed him at this point as a future international.

Because Johns and Finch have such a history together, Johns should really have been and should be giving Finch a lot more help more effectively because he knows his game inside and out.

Anyway, In M.H.A.S news, I'd like to give a big welcome to our most acclaimed and newest member Bazal. He sent me a PM asking if he could join the club but didn't want to make a fool of himself in public in case I'd say no. Don't be a stranger man, everyone is welcome here :) You are silly thinking that I wouldn't accept you, for here there are no strangers, but friends you have yet to meet.

Let me note that I will forgive any of you who have not joined this appreciation society prior to our success under Hagan. That is all.

Last edited:

Bazal

Post Whore
Anyway, In M.H.A.S news, I'd like to give a big welcome to our most acclaimed and newest member Bazal. He sent me a PM asking if he could join the club but didn't want to make a fool of himself in public in case I'd say no. Don't be a stranger man, everyone is welcome here :) You are silly thinking that I wouldn't accept you, for here there are no strangers, but friends you have yet to meet.

Go play on the freeway

jk13

First Grade
hages is a tactical mastermind. instead of bad mouthing the players, he has sheens and stuart doing it for him. if this criticism leads to us making the finals, then he has done it again. outside the box thinking hages, outside the box.
he may hav to giv them a cut of his pay though

Latest posts