What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The first Hagan appreciation society thread

Swiftstylez

Bench
I am the first member, and this thread is serious. I think most of you have had way too higher expectations of him considering we made the finals and fell just a whisker short of beating the eventual premiers in 07. This season is yet to culminate yet we are already calling for him to be gone, when we could show some positive signs in the last few rounds (TRUE). Even if we don't, one fairly mediocre season is not a reason to crucify someone. Just before Mid-Way next year if the results stay the same is the time where there can be no rhyme or reason to his sacking and it will be justified.

So come one and all anyone who has anything positive to say about our coach. Because I for one can see the good that he has done for the club, and the accolades that are overlooked by perfectionist Parramatta Eels fans. If you blame anyone at this stage, blame the players... because the team that isn't performing is nearly the same team as last year. Go figure, they need to ignite a bit more passion deep within... and play as a team, not solely rely on their individual brilliance... Whilst there is a time for that to shine, it isn't all the time. I liked the positive signs in defence on their own goal line the other night though. Click the attack, and we might be surprised.

H.A.S Rules:

-Be considerate of other people and keep the discussion positive and optimistic (The only reason to this rule is if Hagan all of a sudden deserves to cop some of the blame, in which case
the appreciation society would probably crumble)
-Other teams supporters are welcome, as are people that don't even support the NRL that would like to get behind our ambassador
-Have fun! :)

Signature for members:

image.php

Last edited:
I am the first member, and this thread is serious. I think most of you have had way too higher expectations of him considering we made the finals and fell just a whisker short of beating the eventual premiers in 07. This season is yet to culminate yet we are already calling for him to be gone, when we could show some positive signs in the last few rounds. Even if we don't, one fairly mediocre season is not a reason to crucify someone. Just before Mid-Way next year if the results stay the same is the time where there can be no rhyme or reason to his sacking and it will be justified.

So come one and all anyone who has anything positive to say about our coach. Because I for one can see the good that he has done for the club, and the accolades that are overlooked by perfectionist Parramatta Eels fans. If you blame anyone at this stage, blame the players... because the team that isn't performing is nearly the same team as last year. Go figure, they need to ignite a bit more passion deep within... and play as a team, not solely rely on their individual brilliance... Whilst there is a time for that to shine, it isn't all the time. I liked the positive signs in defence on their own goal line the other night though. Click the attack, and we might be surprised.

What up Hagan?
But why go with 'swiftstylez' as a user name? Why not Hages or Hagesy or better yet, CrappyCoach?

Swiftstylez

Bench
What up Hagan?
But why go with 'swiftstylez' as a user name? Why not Hages or Hagesy or
better yet, CrappyCoach?

Excuse me kind sir, but if you do not wish to join this exclusive society then could you please keep your overly used yet still mildly amusing accusations to yourself. You can use the abbreviation of CC, as long as you call him CuteCoach.

That goes for you too Ron, you naughty, naughty boy.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Even if we were too win the comp i still want him gone.

I applauded him last year, however when times have gotten tough he has had no answers.

Le Tour de EEL

Juniors
I am the first member, and this thread is serious. I think most of you have had way too higher expectations of him considering we made the finals and fell just a whisker short of beating the eventual premiers in 07. This season is yet to culminate yet we are already calling for him to be gone, when we could show some positive signs in the last few rounds. Even if we don't, one fairly mediocre season is not a reason to crucify someone. Just before Mid-Way next year if the results stay the same is the time where there can be no rhyme or reason to his sacking and it will be justified.

...mate the way the team is playing nd with our current recruitment policy, the only surprise will be if we don't get the spoon next year!:(

Swiftstylez

Bench
BUT! To cast judgment now is wrong and inhumane. To be honest, I think people are generalizing him a little too much. THE COACH SHOULD NOT BE RELIANT TO INSTILL A CULTURE INTO A CLUB. The players need to do that themselves, put in some good performances and create it themselves.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I would like to join, I appreciate Michael keeping the eels out of finals contention, thus improving my own team chances.

Go Hages!!

BUT! To cast judgment now is wrong and inhumane. To be honest, I think people are generalizing him a little too much. THE COACH SHOULD NOT BE RELIANT TO INSTILL A CULTURE INTO A CLUB. The players need to do that themselves, put in some good performances and create it themselves.

Honestly, why have a coach at all?

The players can teach, motivate, punish, praise and pick themselves

HevyDevy

Coach

H.A.S Rules:

-Be considerate of other people and keep the discussion positive and optimistic (The only reason to this rule is if Hagan all of a sudden deserves to cop some of the blame, in which case
the appreciation society would probably crumble)
-Have fun! :)

Except that the 1,6,7 and 9 are different

2007:
1 - Hayne
6 - Finch
7 - Smith
9 - PJ

2008:
1 - Burt
6 - Keating/Mateo
7 - Finch
9 - Riddell/Keating

Oh, and Tahu.

Thank God we still have Todd Lowrie and have recruited so well for 2009

Le Tour de EEL

Juniors
The good coaches get the accolades for instilling a winning culture, i.e. discipline, positive attitude, good game plan, etc.. into a team. When a team is not displaying any of these the coach must also wear a large portion of the responsibility.

Swiftstylez

Bench
We must start winning first before Hagan can do it, and trust me, this isn't his fault. Non-Eels fans are of course, welcome... I will add it to the rules lolol

Swiftstylez

Bench
Except that the 1,6,7 and 9 are different

2007:
1 - Hayne
6 - Finch
7 - Smith
9 - PJ

2008:
1 - Burt
6 - Keating/Mateo
7 - Finch
9 - Riddell/Keating

Oh, and Tahu.

Thank God we still have Todd Lowrie and have recruited so well for 2009

Better team, Tahu did hardly anything for us. Covered by Inu and Hayne. Only one I really miss is Marsh, but who cares.

spiderdan

Bench
while i acknowledge that hagan did a fair bit of good in his first year i think he isn't cutting it.

yes, he did manage to keep a chunk of our young talented players but the writing was on the wall last year. i guess hindsight is a great thing.

when you consider how we struggled against teams we should've beaten comfortably in 2007 it makes you wonder if his nice guy approach is really cut out for top grade coaching. i don't think i've seen our side pumped for a game since hagan took over the reigns.

when you look at who he's let go it makes you wonder about him (or if someone is instructing him to let players go to save $$$). it also doesn't help that he comes out with a line like "the game has become boring and that's how you need to play it to win games". i guess someone forgot to give a copy of the hagan report to clubs like melbourne, manly, brisbane, dragons and roosters.

looking at our team's gradual drop in defensive ability since hagan as well it makes it hard to see us doing any better unless we either change our defensive training or coaching staff.

having seen many of our good young players come through to first grade and how they like to play i also wouldn't be surprised if [speculation] many of them were getting disenchanted with the style of play the coach wants and ended up wanting out if hagan stays.[/speculation]

Latest posts