What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The 'Flat Spot'

ozbash

Referee
After winning 5 or so games on the trot, and against some very good teams, will the Warriors rise up against the 2 losses we have sustained in the run up to the final 8 play offs ?

Watching 40-20 tonight, it was interesting to see the interview of Gus Gould and his thoughts on the top 10 teams.

We seem to be following in the footsteps of teams like the Dragons, Eels, Panthers and Souths,, all top 8 potential but currently strugling.

Can we stop the rot ?

Cronulla are no longer the comp easybeats, we will have to be on our game to win next week,, or our season is gone ?

Micistm

Bench
Was very disappointed today, just got the feeling once it got back to 12 all we were too lethargic to fight back. We blew the game. 'Kick it to Manu' has snuck back into the main tactic when we seem devoid of ideas.
I am a little worried we have gone back into a slump which if it lasts more than these couple of games could blow the good season. I'd be gutted if we don't hit the eight now.
No win next week and I will be worried about the season, there's just too many congested teams if we don't lift and lift now

Meth

Staff member
Seriously, what is happening in the sheds at half time?

LeagueNut

First Grade
There doesn't seem to be much direction out there at the moment, no-one dictating the play or organising things. Both of our halves have become pretty anonymous.

One Warrior

Bench
Maloney had a bit of shocker yesterday, he should bounce back from it, sounds like Rapira will be back against the Sharks and should replace Royal, Lattimore is improving every week. But what is Cleary doing to the backrow, Lilyman to the Vulcans now please and then out of the club. Either Brown or Ta'ai to start, with Moon to centres or Louisi to bench.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Never ceases to amaze me how people react so differently to a close loss as opposed to a close win.

We didn't lose yesterday because of some deep-seated issue that suddenly came to a head, we lost because Maloney missed a couple of kicks and Zillman scored an arsey try.

The "deep-seated issues", i.e. that we play a relentlessly boring, marginally effective style premised on gritty defence, are the same that have existed since Cleary took over in 2006. Those issues didn't change during the 5 wins and they didn't change during the 2 losses.

If anything, we lost yesterday because Maloney and Seymour both had shockers. If they had executed better in the first half (when we had an absolute gale at our backs) we would've jumped out to an unassailable lead.

It was always going to be hard work in the second half playing in to that wind. The Titans were always favourites when they got it back to 12-12 at the break.

Iafeta

Referee
I agree with Manu. Halves just didn't execute well. Seemed a bit of an anomaly in that sense. I know Seymour has been criticised by and large, but I can't recall many if any of his 100 odd first grade games where his passing was so inaccurate. Is the hand injury impeding him here? James had his worst game in first grade, but I'm one who expects that of a guy trying to make his way in first grade in a key position. I think maybe to clear his mind maybe Seymour goal kicking over the next couple of weeks should be considered.

I dare say if Preston Campbell wasn't so well positioned to cover Lewis Brown's kick off the Vatuvei catch that it could have been curtains for the Titans. I see that as a crucial play, and not really controllable.

The flat spot was always bound to happen. I think we need to be somewhat realistic here. Look at the injury toll we've had. It's been enormous. We lacked a bit of go forward in that game at crucial times, so for one of the first times this season I genuinely felt we missed Price, and definitely Rapira. Some of those forwards like Latimore were probably 'squad' players in the reckoning early in the year and have stood up bloody well, but this period indicates to me that they're finding it tough physically to go the distance. It's a big step up from what roles they are used to.

I said a few weeks ago that I consider this season already a massive success. Nothing yesterday changed that. We have seen outstanding development from a number of players. A number of fringe players have at various times had to come up with key plays, or take senior player responsibility roles, and have done so. This season to me has brought several of those players development forward one or two years. In the long run, this is good. Particularly coupled with some of the top talent in the 20s.

Nothing's changed from the 5 wins to the 2 losses except IMO our team is physically and mentally worn out. That's realistic. I don't think it's peaking too early, I think it was a high goal for the team with the injuries they've had to get into the 8. If we still make it, I will be genuinely impressed and pleased. Lets not forget, 10-15 minutes into the second halves in both the last two games we were ahead. I think in the 5 wins we still maintain that. I just feel half the pack is genuinely knackered. Given the regime I'm sure Wiki had put them under, and rightly so, I have no complaints with their efforts, they just look stuffed.

Last edited:

ozbash

Referee
If anything, we lost yesterday because Maloney and Seymour both had shockers. If they had executed better in the first half (when we had an absolute gale at our backs) we would've jumped out to an unassailable lead.

you're just anti-Jimmy. Seymour and him tried their best behind an underperforming pack of grunts yesterday. Ta'ai and Packer were the only 2 to make a mark.

Reminds me of last year and poor old Stace copping the blame...

Fast Eddie

First Grade
You're a poor quality troll. I hope when I'm around 50 with a family that I'm not trolling Rugby League forums.

ozreece77

Juniors
I agree with Manu. Halves just didn't execute well. Seemed a bit of an anomaly in that sense. I know Seymour has been criticised by and large, but I can't recall many if any of his 100 odd first grade games where his passing was so inaccurate. Is the hand injury impeding him here? James had his worst game in first grade, but I'm one who expects that of a guy trying to make his way in first grade in a key position. I think maybe to clear his mind maybe Seymour goal kicking over the next couple of weeks should be considered.

I dare say if Preston Campbell wasn't so well positioned to cover Lewis Brown's kick off the Vatuvei catch that it could have been curtains for the Titans. I see that as a crucial play, and not really controllable.

The flat spot was always bound to happen. I think we need to be somewhat realistic here. Look at the injury toll we've had. It's been enormous. We lacked a bit of go forward in that game at crucial times, so for one of the first times this season I genuinely felt we missed Price, and definitely Rapira. Some of those forwards like Latimore were probably 'squad' players in the reckoning early in the year and have stood up bloody well, but this period indicates to me that they're finding it tough physically to go the distance. It's a big step up from what roles they are used to.

I said a few weeks ago that I consider this season already a massive success. Nothing yesterday changed that. We have seen outstanding development from a number of players. A number of fringe players have at various times had to come up with key plays, or take senior player responsibility roles, and have done so. This season to me has brought several of those players development forward one or two years. In the long run, this is good. Particularly coupled with some of the top talent in the 20s.

Nothing's changed from the 5 wins to the 2 losses except IMO our team is physically and mentally worn out. That's realistic. I don't think it's peaking too early, I think it was a high goal for the team with the injuries they've had to get into the 8. If we still make it, I will be genuinely impressed and pleased. Lets not forget, 10-15 minutes into the second halves in both the last two games we were ahead. I think in the 5 wins we still maintain that. I just feel half the pack is genuinely knackered. Given the regime I'm sure Wiki had put them under, and rightly so, I have no complaints with their efforts, they just look stuffed.

Fair comment. Its a shame that Rapira didnt come back for this game. I think some more fresh troops would have helped. In saying that, i think our dummy half game plan was always going to be less effective against the titans because Friend just loves cutting men down and Luke Bailey has a huge output for a prop. Against other teams we are more effective as the forwards tire more. Friend just doesnt tire.

Micistm

Bench
I will stick up for the Warriors when some ring up Radio Sport and say things like 'The Warriors don't deserve to be in the eight for losing to Souths and Titans these last two weeks.'
What a stupid comment. Of course they deserve to make the eight- like the others around the 24pt mark. But whether they do depends on how they go from here. The Warriors have been hot and cold aside from their 5 streak- But so have quite a few other teams this year. Is there a favourite? a REAL fave? Just when you think one is they get beaten the next week.
Makes for an interesting comp.