The fourth bench spot......

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by Overseas dragon, Feb 10, 2019.

1. giboz71

giboz71 First Grade

The Lichaa example is a valid one as they decided to get rid of Ennis for Lichaa without any real evidence. He was signed to a long term deal by the Bulldogs after 1 FG game for the Sharks, and that's when Ennis decided to move on.

Let's have the evidence on the table before we make a call. A full season playing off the interchange bench spelling Cam should give us the information we need.

Como Connection likes this.
  2. BLM01

BLM01 Juniors

I wouldnt he has done nothing at 1st grade yet.
    but the media reckon some would. Even some on here reckon Mal wants to pinch him to play 9 for the Titans.
    But then again Dogs took a punt on an untried Lichaa.

3. possm

possm First Grade

I don't think many on here would disagree with what you say on this however, we need to put the horse before the cart and sign this young gun long term now. I'm sure being selected on the bench to spell McInnes would not worry him at all.

2010 likes this.
  4. BennyV

BennyV Coach

If we do the right thing by him - give him plenty of opportunity to play first grade off the bench, plenty of minutes, develop his game and show him he is a part of the clubs future, we will have no problem retaining him.

5. denis preston

denis preston Bench

Pos, it's alright to say we should resign him quickly but what if his manager has taken all negotiations off the table until mid year after some ( hopefully for Robson ) great form as a interchange player ? A case of him backing himself for higher money.

6. DragonJ

DragonJ Juniors

14. Sims 15. Leilua 16. Lawrie/Host/Latamore 17. Robson

I know if it were Host that would in theory leave us short a prop but maybe he has bulked up enough and added aggression to be able to play in the middle or Friz is capable of playing in the middle and Graham and Vaughan are both capable of playing longer minutes if required.

I think I rate Host higher than most other forum contributors.

7. RufusRex

RufusRex Post Whore

You dont need to carry 2 edge forwards on the bench .. Sims/Friz can play 80 ...
    Host/Leilua compete for the same spot and Latimore/Lawrie the same

If JDB out then Friz to the middle and both Host/Leilua play.

Dennis Papaioannou likes this.
  8. slippery5

slippery5 Juniors

I rate Host higher than Latimore if that means anything !!!!!!!

goggles and Old Timer like this.
  9. redVinme

redVinme Juniors

Read on NRL.com today that the bullgrubs are preparing to chase a hooker with three players on their wish list
    Brailey jnr
    Robson
    Liddle.

So more crucial than ever Robson is exposed to 1st grade because multiple clubs are taking notice

10. DragonJ

DragonJ Juniors

Well if you want to go strictly by the book, as Leilua is an edge backrower while Sims and Frizz both play 80min, there shouldn't be a place for him on the bench either.

A good coach would find a way to fit the 9 or 10 best forwards at the club on the bench and in my view, Host and Leilua are among the 9 or 10 best.

As a matter of fact, in no particular order: 1. Robson 2. McInnes 3. JDB 4. T.Sims 5. Frizz 6. Vaughan 7. Graham 8. K. Sims 9. Leilua 10. Host

If Lomax is going to be a centre, I'd be interested in seeing how Aitken goes as an interhcange forward but for the time being, as above.

11. RufusRex

RufusRex Post Whore

Your use of a bench edge is tactical/emergency rather than based on fatigue levels. The props need rotation due to workload and so using 4 of the 8 interchanges to play your 4 props for 40 mins each is a stable point.

I would be using 2 to 3 interchanges on a lock/hooker type (Robson) to give a break to your 9 and 13 ... Mary did this a little with the 15 min breather for Jack (using Mann) but i think it can go further.

That leaves 1 or 2 interchanges left and an edge on the bench. That is emergency/tactical.

To me Leilua fits that bill more than Host. Hosty seems more your typical 80 min hole running edge ... Leilua is not that player.

I think you are spot on with your top 9 - I think Lawrie edges host esp on the last few rounds from 2018 but if you add Lawrie then that top 11 is right.

12. Saint_JimmyG

Saint_JimmyG Bench

Does anyone else agree with me that Lawrie (and most likely Robson) will struggle to gain any meaningful first grade minutes this year?

After rewatching the semi versus Brisbane, the kid has obvious potential, but whether he can develop that consistently on a weekly basis is an entirely different scenario. And as mentioned ad infinitum, McGregor is incapable of nurturing younger players trying to make their name in the NRL.

In my opinion, both MUST be in the 17.

RedV Resurgence likes this.
  13. RufusRex

RufusRex Post Whore

I think that Lawrie is a lay down misere for Rounds 1-3 and will get 30-40 mins in each game
    He has to outplay Latimore in those three games and if he does i think he will jump him in the pecking order.

Dennis Papaioannou likes this.
  14. possm

possm First Grade

Sorry, I rate Lawrie above Host. Robson's contract is up at the end of 2019, so given that Widdop is leaving and most probably Latimore and Allgood are leaving, I'd be inclined to give Robson a contract upgrade from 2020 - 2022 well before the other clubs see how good he really is. Delaying the upgrade will only cost the Dragons in the end.

Dennis Papaioannou and DragonJ like this.
  15. DragonJ

DragonJ Juniors

Maybe Lawrie at this point is slightly above Host but I believe Host has far more upside. Bigger, faster, just as skillful. Maybe given he is behind Friz, Sims, and Leilua he has to change his game a little and become more like JDB. Whose to say he can't?

16. Carlton

Carlton Juniors

I think there could be a smoky in the front row choices, Lachlan Timm.

DragonJ and possm like this.
  17. DragonJ

DragonJ Juniors

I didn't like the way Sims stopped him dead, picked him up and put him on his head. That shouldn't happen to front rowers.

18. BennyV

BennyV Coach

Comparing Lawrie and Host is futile. Very different styles and very different roles for 2 separate long term prospects.

Lawrie should be the 4th prop in our rotation.
    Leilua should be a permanent fixture on the bench for impact either on the edges or in the middle.
    Robson also on the bench to rewind the hooker and lock.
    Host should be moved into the starting line if there is an opening on the edge.

19. RufusRex

RufusRex Post Whore

Yep .. and that edge opening could also be the result of an opening at 13.

20. Dennis Papaioannou

Dennis Papaioannou Juniors

Except one's a prop and one's a back rower

RufusRex likes this.