What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The frustration

CJG 182

Juniors
I know you shouldn't throw it away but it's just another glaring inconsistency in the NRL.
Eg, sat night Raiders vs Dogs
Thurling attempts offload, it goes out, then in frustration Goodwin kicks the ball as far away as he can. Play on.
Even going back to the Melb game where we were first penalised for it, later in that game Kidwell throws the ball away at a scrum. Play on.

otori

Juniors
You really would think with a coach like BSmith they'd be a more disciplined side. I dunno, he just seems like a serious dude to me.

There's a few players in particular (Houston leads the pack) that are playing stupid footy at the moment. They need to be sat down and talked to.

My plan: Every time a player gives away a penalty or drops the ball next week, he gives a $1000 to charity. :crazy:

Pika

Bench
We simply do not execute well enough.

Our defence in the middle was very good yesterday.

At the start of the season I seperated winning and our defence in the middle. Sure it was disappointing to get beat, but as long as ther middle was tight, I was happy. After all, that was all I was accountable for.

As the season rolls on I am starting to support the team.

I feel your frustrations gents.

Alex28

Coach
I think we have to be a bit serious about what team we have here and how they are maturing. They are doing damn well to be competing - let alone winning. Who here seriously expected them to be winning games and losing games by the small margins they have been this time last year? They are a young team lacking some maturity - they need time to develop and when this comes along they will win more of these games that we have been losing by a matter of points.

They deserve more credit than they tend to get here. They are going much much better than I ever expected they would this year. I have great confidence the next few years under Smith are going to be great.

Hanscholo

Bench
I think we have the makings of a top 4 team there, and we are reaching that level at times in games, but through a lack of concentration and confidence it seems we let ourselves down more often than not.

16-14 with some pretty poor luck late in the game, tbh against the side we played ill take that. I hate losing, but we need to lose some of those games to move forward. At least we were beaten at home by a crap side this time.

antonius

Coach
I think we have the makings of a top 4 team there, and we are reaching that level at times in games, but through a lack of concentration and confidence it seems we let ourselves down more often than not.

16-14 with some pretty poor luck late in the game, tbh against the side we played ill take that. I hate losing, but we need to lose some of those games to move forward. At least we were beaten at home by a crap side this time.
I tend to agree with the above. As Pika points out execution lets us down, most of these guys are still on a steep learning curve and that will improve. However I still think there are a couple in the side that don't deserve to be there. There are better options running around in reserves. Generally though the team is performing way above what I expected at the start of the year.

aqua_duck

Coach
I think Dureau needs to come back in, we lack punch in the opposition 20. Is it just me or do other people notice we don't use enough decoy runners and 2nd man plays to create numbers. Also seriously with the quality of Mullen's kicking game we should score more tries from kicks.
I hate to say this but with the possession and territory we had yesterday, had we had Joey out there we would've run up an absolute cricket score

NthKnight

I think Dureau needs to come back in, we lack punch in the opposition 20. Is it just me or do other people notice we don't use enough decoy runners and 2nd man plays to create numbers. Also seriously with the quality of Mullen's kicking game we should score more tries from kicks.
I hate to say this but with the possession and territory we had yesterday, had we had Joey out there we would've run up an absolute cricket score

Yes! After watching every team in the comp do this on the weekend I was thinking the exact same thing. We never use decoy runners when we are close to the opposition line. Are the boys afraid of getting an obstruction penalty? Boggles the mind

Frederick

Staff member
I agree that Dureau needs to be brought back in. I feel that Bailey got shown up to be the one-trick pony that he is on Sunday. Every time he got the ball, he tried to step his way through the line. The Roosters were able to shut him down completely, and being that Bailey possesses no kicking game whatsoever, we were left with an ineffective player at 5/8, which doubled the pressure on Mullen to come up with the big attacking plays.

Doctor

Bench
Sometimes you make your own luck. Sometimes the referee makes it for you. Yesterday's result was the former -- I think we had enough opportunities but once again it was a case of poor execution. That we managed to still be in the game with five seconds to go was a credit to the heart they all played with, but sometimes that isn't enough. A quality team like the Roosters doesn't like being caught out by an under-rated outfit like Newcastle. We caught them out last time on the Central Coast, but they just seemed to hang on enough to keep us out a second time.

I always find it fascinating how we seem to be on the end of decisions and penalties that should, in a normal circumstance, be called but are rarely blown. The Knights can't buy a penalty some days -- even if they're constantly the targets of flops and lazy markers who always seem to be called onside even if they're clearly not. Suffering under such circumstances would be OK if it weren't for the fact that the Knights, in accordance with the notion of a consistent rule for all, adapt their play accordingly and then find themselves defending back-to-back sets because a referee has decided he won't put up with such sloppiness. The bigger problem is benefit of the doubt. It's puzzling, sometimes, to see how the Knights will be denied a try one week, only to watch as another team is awarded a similarly 50-50 (some would say debatable) try the next week (or sometimes in the same game). I know this as "the Newcastle rule", but less one-eyed fans would describe this as a ridiculous concept. All I do know for sure is that the referees do target teams and particular players in the same way teams target other teams. Danny Buderus is known to try to get cheap penalties from dummy-half, so the referees go into the game conscious of not letting him milk any. A lesser hooker, in the same circumstances, I would argue would have to do less to convince the referee of the opposition's crimes.

Rest assured, though, I'm not suggesting there were many dud calls in this regard yesterday. The tries were a bit dodgy, but the ref probably got them right from my perspective. The Knights just need to work on their discipline and stop dropping the ball. There is only so much dropped ball in your own territory that you can get away with before the opposition will capitalise on the handy field-position. Become more disciplined, both in attack and defence, and you start to get in the referee's good books and you're more likely to get those 50-50 calls. Or so I reckon, but who am I to suggest I know what is going on most of the time. Even the experts can't agree on the correct ruling.

BG

Juniors
I think we have to be a bit serious about what team we have here and how they are maturing. They are doing damn well to be competing - let alone winning. Who here seriously expected them to be winning games and losing games by the small margins they have been this time last year? They are a young team lacking some maturity - they need time to develop and when this comes along they will win more of these games that we have been losing by a matter of points.

They deserve more credit than they tend to get here. They are going much much better than I ever expected they would this year. I have great confidence the next few years under Smith are going to be great.

ditto

Pika

Bench
Yes! After watching every team in the comp do this on the weekend I was thinking the exact same thing. We never use decoy runners when we are close to the opposition line. Are the boys afraid of getting an obstruction penalty? Boggles the mind

Bederus try came off two props running a decoy to draw the markers.

Set play called the 'Rhino'.

You will not find a better example of decoy running in any game this round.

cram

Bench
I agree 100% with Pika the teams execution has been ordinary and yesterday it was that execution that cost us in the end.

Saying that the Roosters also had terrible execution but alas they had kicking options that we lacked.

Someone else, I think Alex, said somewhere in the forum that we may be expecting too much and I agree that is why I have left most games feeling somewhat satisfied with what I am seeing.

The only thing that really scares me for the futre, even more then no AJ because I think we have now moved on from him, is NO BUDERUS....now that really worries me.

In the dictionary when you read committment his name should be listed.

Apey

Staff member
One look at the final scoreboard is all that is needed. 3 tries to 2, a win to the Roosters fair and square. :clap:

You should have been aborted.

Where has anyone disputed Roosters were better?

f**k off troll.

Alex28

Coach
The only thing that really scares me for the futre, even more then no AJ because I think we have now moved on from him, is NO BUDERUS....now that really worries me.

De Gois should give you some confidence...he'll be outstanding for us.

D

Deleted member 10972

You should have been aborted.

Where has anyone disputed Roosters were better?

f**k off troll.

Not gonna start a sh*t fight, i have no problem with you guys, but have you seen the Knights v Roosters thread?

Bicey, Gene Krupa, and Holla If Ya Hear Me? All this "Knights were robbed" garbage...

Jono078

Referee
De Gois has been one of the Sharks best players, even Sharkies fans would agree I think.

He is almost a Buderus clone in that he'll give 100% each week, tough in defence and has an accurate passing game.

Can't wait to get him here.

NthKnight

Not gonna start a sh*t fight, i have no problem with you guys, but have you seen the Knights v Roosters thread?

Bicey, Gene Krupa, and Holla If Ya Hear Me? All this "Knights were robbed" garbage...

Well none of these guys are in here Mack so unless your looking to start a fight, which you said you didnt, there is no need to flick arrogant statements around like you did.

BTW we do welcome fans of other teams in here but only if respect is shown.