What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The frustration

Knight87

Juniors
"Ben Cross playing to try and impress Origin selectors" - Mark Braybrook. Hmmmmmmmm. If today's performance was any indication of handing out NSW origin jerseys for next week, Cross definitely won't be getting selected. He hasn't performed up to 1% of the hype that was made about him last year. He had an absolute shocker today. But, he chose to play to try and get into Origin, when he knew that he wasn't even 50% match fitness. Pure 100% selfishness, if you ask me.

Knight87

Juniors
You guys are a better side than you're position on the table shows. Quite impressed every time i've seen Knights play. About today, I agreed with everything except the refs call from the video, however the refereeing in general play was poor, and both sides had no respect for the football. Very even contest. MacDougall has to be close to retiring doesnt he? Silly mistakes, seems to offer little

I hope that MacDougall doesn't get re-signed for next year. I know I've said this a million times, but He is well past the use by date. The try he let it (which turned out to be the match winner) was just one of the many examples of proof of this. He was in the perfect position of all the players contesting Anasta's bomb to catch the bomb, but what does he do? He turns his back and doesn't even know where the ball is, and takes out a Roosters player instead!!!!! Pathetic. But, he's been doing that time and time again, this year. HE may pull off the odd brilliance in attack every now and then, but his defense is a huge liability to the side (in the centres). Opposition sides deliberately attack his side of the field, also knowing that he does leave his winger McManus very isolated at times. I would've much preferred if Junior Sau is brought into the side.

Last edited:

Nuke

Staff member
My thoughts on the Paterson no-try are that yes, technically, it was a double-movement, but had that tackle happened 20m (or wherever) back in the field, the opposition would've been allowed to jump on him to complete the tackle with O'Meley hanging onto his foot like he did. If that's the case, then I feel he should've been allowed to plant the ball (he was still sliding towards the line a bit anyway) and score the try.

I'll admit that in previous years, teams scoring tries from kicks didn't bother me. This year is a completely different story - they are starting to piss me off. I suppose it's because the quality level of defence is that high that teams are finding it harder and harder to score tries without resorting to kicks. In that regard, I'm happy for teams to put kicks up against us as is shows we're right up there as far as on-line defence goes, but it just pisses me off this year that just about every set of six near our line ends with the opposition putting up kicks.

We had them today but let them score off kicks which were indicative of how our season is going. No luck and 50/50 calls going against us. Mad Dog cost us big time today but i thought Wes was superb. His hit on Pearce was what that cocky little drip deserved. Pearce is totally full of himself.

strewth_mate

Bench
Odd kind of game.

Howling mistakes aside, the frustration for me was in seeing the Roosters cut down our ability to get the final passes away, and stifle our offloads. Quite a few times we were doing the right thing but they did a good job on us.

The packs seemed to have a decent enough battle, not exciting, but not leaking metres. Bloody kicks.

D

Deleted member 10972

Guys, based on the lcear statement of the rule, Paterson' s try was NOT a try. Unless you think the rule changes to suit different teams, that is the double movement rule. The commentators didn't complain, even Paterson looked like he knew it. A defender had him by the legs, his arm holding the ball touched the ground, that is the end of the tackle. Can't argue with that, and Pato promoted the ball.

I like Pato, great player, but if that was a try, then so was Setaimata Sa's try earlier. The result was fair enough, both teams didn't play well but kept it tight, played aggressive, and the Roosters superior kicking game was what prevailed, even though various Knights individual players were outstanding.

Good game, kudos to your team, and may we meet again in the finals!

Belly07

Juniors
Did anyone notice the Roosters player on the ground in the lead up to their last try take Adam MacDougall out from contesting for the ball, or was I seeing things??

Well if people are constantly saying the Roosters are one of the teams to beat .. we cant be much far behind all we need is a fair go by the refs and some control with the ball

CycloneSteve

Juniors
Just because a players arm is on the ground and a defender has hold of him, doesnt make the tackle over. If the players momentum takes him over the line in that situation then its a fair try. HOWEVER that was not the case with Pato unfortunately. His arm hit the ground and then he proceeded to reach out and plant the ball down. Double movement...no try. I was a bit upset over the try awarded for the Roosters players knee on the line and possibly Doogs being taken out or maybe I am viewing both incidents through red and blue glasses.
With the incident from the kick-off (was it Bailey) I and a few others watching it at the local RSL all thought he had his foot ON the dead ball line when he caught the ball THEN stepped over it. Because on the line in this case is out, we all thought it should have been a penalty. Maybe Archer didnt even consider that seeing as Bailey exaggerated the movement of his leg over the line.
In any case a disappointing effort, 2 points that really went begging. Shame we cant aim up like that in ALL our matches (Wests, Warriors x2 etc.)

roopy

Referee
You know what's frustrating? - if we could have got the team that played today together a few years ago and put in A Johns instead of C Bailey we would have won that game by 50, and Bwaith would have cried.

NthKnight

With the incident from the kick-off (was it Bailey) I and a few others watching it at the local RSL all thought he had his foot ON the dead ball line when he caught the ball THEN stepped over it. Because on the line in this case is out, we all thought it should have been a penalty. Maybe Archer didnt even consider that seeing as Bailey exaggerated the movement of his leg over the line.

Sorry mate but Bails did have his foot on the line but for some reason lifted it up before catching the ball then planted it over the line after he caught it. He had the right idea but totally got the timing wrong and was a fair enough call from Archer to rule the line drop out.

Im getting a little sick of hearing posters on here whinging about the amount of trys scored from kicks. Guys it is part of our game and always has been and I think its more than just a little bit of sour grapes because the Knights have been so poor at scoring from them and defending them this year. The fact remains that our outside backs (maddog Im looking at you) didnt give themselves any chance of diffusing bombs on our line and leave it up to the opposition not to score instead of actually stopping them from scoring.

Suck it up boys. They didnt get ripped off by the ref, they fell on their swords with the stupid errors and brain explosion off-loads, plain and simple

Last edited:

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Stop whinging, the better team won.
Wow. Who the hell are you?

I'm glad I didn't come in here yesterday afternoon because I would have been accused (rightly I might add :lol:) of being biased. I've had time to settle down and the errors that we made cost us the game. The most frustrating thing about this team is that I, and I'm sure most of you, know that we're really not a terrible footy side and should be higher up the ladder. At the end of the day though, we're not and that is what is so frustrating. The team reminds me a lot of the Dragons over the last couple of years, which is not surprising considering we've got a distinct Dragons feel in the player roster. One word sums it up - consistency.

On the tries yesterday, here are my thoughts:

First Roosters try - dodgy, but probably the right call was made, although I still feel that Fitzgibbon gave Doogs a shove in contesting the ball and trying to ground it. Yes, you can shoulder a player out of the way, but I feel he had both his hands in his back, forcing him to fall over. Doogs doesn't fall over, he probably gets there first and its no try.

Second Roosters try - very dodgy IMO. I could have sworn his knee was on the dead ball line fractionally before he grounds the ball. It wasn't simultaneous so therefore should have been no-try.

Third Roosters try - thanks Doogs. A player of his calibre should NOT be trying to force the pass when his team is in front by 2 with about 11 to go. Its a mistake that you'd expect from one of the younger blokes. Someone should kick his backside.

First Knights try - try for your life. Paterson still had control of the ball, banged it down, no problem.

Second Knights try - great play from Bedsy, not much more to add.

NOW, onto the two disallowed Knights tries.

With the rule as it is now, it was probably the correct call. Its one of the many rules that IMO have too many grey areas in it. Do I agree with the decision, no, he was in a position where he should have been allowed to put the ball on the line.

Last Knights try - again, probably the correct call, but as I haven't seen the replay, I can't really say for sure, but it looked like Pearce got there a fraction of a second in front of Naiqama. Summed up the day really.

NthKnight

Wow. Who the hell are you?

I'm glad I didn't come in here yesterday afternoon because I would have been accused (rightly I might add :lol:) of being biased. I've had time to settle down and the errors that we made cost us the game. The most frustrating thing about this team is that I, and I'm sure most of you, know that we're really not a terrible footy side and should be higher up the ladder. At the end of the day though, we're not and that is what is so frustrating. The team reminds me a lot of the Dragons over the last couple of years, which is not surprising considering we've got a distinct Dragons feel in the player roster. One word sums it up - consistency.

On the tries yesterday, here are my thoughts:

First Roosters try - dodgy, but probably the right call was made, although I still feel that Fitzgibbon gave Doogs a shove in contesting the ball and trying to ground it. Yes, you can shoulder a player out of the way, but I feel he had both his hands in his back, forcing him to fall over. Doogs doesn't fall over, he probably gets there first and its no try.

Second Roosters try - very dodgy IMO. I could have sworn his knee was on the dead ball line fractionally before he grounds the ball. It wasn't simultaneous so therefore should have been no-try.

Third Roosters try - thanks Doogs. A player of his calibre should NOT be trying to force the pass when his team is in front by 2 with about 11 to go. Its a mistake that you'd expect from one of the younger blokes. Someone should kick his backside.

First Knights try - try for your life. Paterson still had control of the ball, banged it down, no problem.

Second Knights try - great play from Bedsy, not much more to add.

NOW, onto the two disallowed Knights tries.

With the rule as it is now, it was probably the correct call. Its one of the many rules that IMO have too many grey areas in it. Do I agree with the decision, no, he was in a position where he should have been allowed to put the ball on the line.

Last Knights try - again, probably the correct call, but as I haven't seen the replay, I can't really say for sure, but it looked like Pearce got there a fraction of a second in front of Naiqama. Summed up the day really.

Good post Jobbie

Just on the last try. Vuna, without a doubt, tackled the Roosters winger in mid air and there should have been a penalty awarded to the Rooters. Whether Pearce forced the ball before Wes or not (which he did FTW) is inconsiquential as it was a no try for the mid-air tackle alone. As much as it kills me to agree with Gary "well constructed" Freeman, I too was astounded that the video ref awarded a goalline drop out and not a penalty.

Kazaf

Juniors
Good post Jobbie

Just on the last try. Vuna, without a doubt, tackled the Roosters winger in mid air and there should have been a penalty awarded to the Rooters. Whether Pearce forced the ball before Wes or not (which he did FTW) is inconsiquential as it was a no try for the mid-air tackle alone. As much as it kills me to agree with Gary "well constructed" Freeman, I too was astounded that the video ref awarded a goalline drop out and not a penalty.

Vuna had made some poor choices yesterday.

If he had left the chip kick from Mullen to his wing for Perret to catch THEN tackle him out, that would've been a smarter play. Instead, he tackled Perret when he did not have the ball, resulting in a penalty.

Tackle opponent in-air, instead of contesting for the ball, another bad move.

Hope to see a better and fitter Vuna next weekend.

CJG 182

Juniors
What's annoying is we continue to be treated poorly by referees.
I watch most games in the NRL and we have to be the only team who has been penalised this year for throwing the ball away. Things like this are ridiculous and really need to be looked.

NthKnight

What's annoying is we continue to be treated poorly by referees.
I watch most games in the NRL and we have to be the only team who has been penalised this year for throwing the ball away. Things like this are ridiculous and really need to be looked.

FTW the Tigers were penalised for throwing it away on Fri night

Jobdog

Live Update Team
While I agree in principle, its another of our frustrating "aspects" associated with the team. You don't throw the ball away, you don't get penalised.