What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The game is becoming disturbingly SOFT

Frederick

Staff member
south-park-1608-sarcastaball-BCG-clip12.jpg

:lol:

There are plenty of posters from this forum who have contributed to the alleged softness of this sport. Too many AFL & gay nomads for the liking of the rest of us. OOOOOOh arnt we all so anti PC with that comment. Oh shock horror.

Amadaca

Juniors
I'll say it till the day I die --- getting rid of the shoulder charge (for everyone except Billy Slater, apparently) was a f**king travesty.

POPEYE

Coach
I take it 'soft' in this instance is a euphemism for a lack of violence, the players of today would run rings around those of yesteryear and probably withstand and recover from the 'hard' stuff more efficiently. Speed makes hits harder to accomplish, no to mention null and void

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Didn't Cordner throw about 100 punches? I only saw youtube-quality footage but he seemed to just throw and throw and throw, and he kept on coming up 6 inches short, it was like watching Chris Martin bat.

Nevertheless, I don't get people saying the game has gone soft because players are being penalised for things that have always been against the rules. Head high tackles and punching have never actually been allowed in rugby league, you realise that right?

Tommy Smith

Referee
So every high shot is worthy of a charge by the judiciary? And since when have blokes who stood toe-to-toe and thrown punches been getting suspended? I do believe Ryan started the incident and threw a few back... where's his charge? Fui Fui was 3rd man in, where's his charge?

If two blokes want to have a bit of biff then leave it at that; what happens on the field stays on the field in that instance. And if we're going to charge EVERY tackle that glances the head, e.g. SBWs example, then we won't have many blokes available to line up every weekend.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Cordner 1 week. SBW 50 points.

Both should contest; especially as there isn't the risk of a match on top of each charge.

And both should get off.

Glen

Bench
The gutless refs need to deal with it better on field rather than leaving everything for the video when it comes to fighting.

Cordner overreacted to a nothing bump and started throwing them, continuing wildly while Ryan was being held by about 4 guys. He should have gone to the sin bin. If they saw Ryan as the aggressor or Fui's run-in worth punishing then they could go for 10 minutes too.

Sin bin is sufficient punishment and if they used it properly for fights like that and the Gallen one in origin then you shouldn't need to dish out suspensions

Amadaca

Juniors
The gutless refs need to deal with it better on field rather than leaving everything for the video when it comes to fighting.

Cordner overreacted to a nothing bump and started throwing them, continuing wildly while Ryan was being held by about 4 guys. He should have gone to the sin bin. If they saw Ryan as the aggressor or Fui's run-in worth punishing then they could go for 10 minutes too.

Sin bin is sufficient punishment and if they used it properly for fights like that and the Gallen one in origin then you shouldn't need to dish out suspensions

Fair argument.

BCH

Juniors
The inconsistency is what gets me...fights happen every other week before origin & most don't get dealt with. Gallen throws 2 "premeditated" punches in origin & now it seems others will cop the brunt.

Personally I've never forgotten Luke Ricketson missing, I think, the 2003 GF because he "slapped" a cowboy (can't remember who). Yet there's so many other instances of punches/fights over the years when nothing ever happened.

Amadaca

Juniors
the inconsistency is what gets me...fights happen every other week before origin & most don't get dealt with. Gallen throws 2 "premeditated" punches in origin & now it seems others will cop the brunt.

Personally i've never forgotten luke ricketson missing, i think, the 2003 gf because he "slapped" a cowboy (can't remember who). Yet there's so many other instances of punches/fights over the years when nothing ever happened.

2004 GF.

Think it mightve been Nathan Fien.

Was a great spectacle, that game. I was at it.

BCH

Juniors
I was at it as well, as well as 2003 but regrettably I missed 2002. Maybe I should stay away this year if we happen to make it.