What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game of the year thus far !! RD11 Frank Hyde Shield

2 True Blues

Coach
Saturday the 14th June, 3pm kickoff for the heritage game of the centenary year of football. Jets versus the Bears at Henson Park.

We have only once shared the Frank Hyde Cup in the first year of it's conception with Norths but have never let them win it. This year we take them on as a TOP OF THE NSWRL COMP clash. 1st versus 2nd.

This is a must see game for not only all Jets/Bears fans, (travel distance even taken under consideration) but a NOT TO BE MISSED game , in this, the centenary year of rugby league, for any rugby league fan with an available few hours on that satrurday afternoon come the 14th June....

With several Roosters playing State of origin on the 11th, I hope we have a worthy side to take them on evenly, as they are still undefeated, though nothing seperates these two sides IMO> realistically.

I noticed that the Bears have already started talking about this game on their Bear forum. So posted this, even though it is still bout 11 days away.
I am already counting down the days though.

They beat us by ten last game, ( though we lost our captain in the pre-game warmup last time this season ) and we have only won one game at North Syd/Oval since year 2000 and still manage to win this shield at the Henson appearances in years gone by )
so this should be no different. Other than the fact that No team has been able to crap Norths thus far, this season.

What a script building up here. And what a game of football this should be.

Come on you mighty Bluebags. !!!!

Last edited:
I always bring my family to Henson but this time I would like to go alone. Just once I 'd like to see the whole game without running after the kids and this is the game of the year. I hope they play a recording of Frank's Danny Boy at half time too.

2 True Blues

Coach
I always bring my family to Henson but this time I would like to go alone. Just once I 'd like to see the whole game without running after the kids and this is the game of the year. I hope they play a recording of Frank's Danny Boy at half time too.

In seasons gone by Frank would chat to the crowd from the box on mike/phone. Tell some old yarns and then sing Danny Boy live mate. ;-):lol::cool:

Coming alone will assure some good football viewing though mate. You can join the lads on the HILL in chorus !!! This is gonna be a crackeer of a game if we are not affected by SOO movements in the ranks. ;-)

greg

Juniors
Should be a beauty 2TB. I haven't checked whether its the TV game on Fox yet next wednesday. If common sense wins the day it should be. Sounded like a good win over Wenty.

2 True Blues

Coach
Yeah mate. I think they give the game to the highest bidder etc. So it's not up to them, it's up to whoever offer's the most cash. Shame though if not.!!

Though www.leaguetv.com.au may come to the party though. Top website.

Red Bear

Referee
****ing exams
missed the first round of the frank hyde cup due to a family event, miss this one because it is the same time i have a uni exam.

Rediculous

In seasons gone by Frank would chat to the crowd from the box on mike/phone. Tell some old yarns and then sing Danny Boy live mate. ;-):lol::cool:

Coming alone will assure some good football viewing though mate. You can join the lads on the HILL in chorus !!! This is gonna be a crackeer of a game if we are not affected by SOO movements in the ranks. ;-)

Mate I was there for most of those. I've actually been living in Newtown for the past twelve years and started seeing games when they got back to Henson. I've made quite a few mates on that hill too. I enjoyed how Frank would repeat his half time (before singing Danny Boy) speech, verbatim at the full time presentation as well. Just not the same without him. Frank always seemed quite regal to me.

Last edited:

Jeffles

Bench
Always one to look forward to. Should be a cracker. Norths have never held the Shield outright but this is their best chance. Both teams are in good form and it is a top of the table clash.

First prize in the raffle that Saturday will be a TV. From memory it's over 30 inches.

Try and make it to Marrickville Bowling Club after the game.

2 True Blues

Coach
G'day Jeffles. Good to see ya well mate.

Intersting to note guys that Norths have 4 players in the state of origin ( pre-game ) and jets have 3 players in this too. With Roosters in the actual state of origin game also taken into consideration ( re resting the following weekend , ( but having not checked if roosters have a bye that weekend in NRL, fingers crossed. )this is going to hurt us I am thinking. Some tired legs for this game already for both sides with SOO comitments coming up perhaps ??

Hope the injury to Frank Nuuasala heals quickly as well ( taken off injured 30 mins into the parra/Wenty match ?apparently ). The bloke is awesome for us , and will be needed if not playing NRL.

Jeffles

Bench
Change of plan for the post game presentation.

This will now be held at the Golden Barley Hotel. It is located on the corner of Edgeware Road and Llewellyn Street in Enmore.

2 True Blues

Coach
Roosters playing on friday night. Wonder if ther SOO guys will back up or not. Tough draw for the roosters there, 2 days after origin. !! Hope it does not effect the jets too much on saturday. Suppose we will benefit from the extra bench player the next day that is not required though. That has not happened often thus far.

2 True Blues

Coach
Match details

3.00 pm, Saturday, 14 June

Henson Park
NSW Cup ladder [end of last round]
Team sheet

The match report will be posted to this page after the game.
Shaun Foley
Sponsored by Sydney Airport
Byron Ford
Sponsored by Golden Barley Hotel, Marrickville
Toshio Laiseni
Sponsored by Harvey Norman, Alexandria
Brent Grose
Sponsored by Nifty Foods of Carlton Crs, Summer Hill
Tevita Folau
Sponsored by Golden Barley Hotel, Marrickville
Luke Branighan
Sponsored by Miller and Associates Insurance Brokers
Luke Millwood
Sponsored by Blueprint Management Group</B>
Steve Meredith
Sponsored by Soil 'n' Stuff
Luke Gordon
Sponsored by Petersham RSL Club</B>
Khalid Deeb
Sponsored by Visual FX
Mickey Paea
Sponsored by SGE Credit Union</B>
Sean Rudder
Sponsored by Seafood Systems Australia
Jimmy Anderson
Sponsored by Bowlers Club of NSW
Hep Cahill
Sponsored by Jets Sports Club
Ray Moujalli
Sponsored by Labelcraft, Leichhardt
Rory Kostjasyn
Sponsored by Discount Ski Tubes & Gear
Daniel Green
Sponsored by Dickson Canvas

Not sure of the Bears linup but have heard both Nigel VAGANA and WIDDERS will be playing. !? We might as well be playing a first grade side.

Jeffles

Bench
A really disappointing Bluebag day. We had no answers for Norths. Jeremy Smith directed them and really showed us up. We're supposed to have one of the best defensive records in the comp. Like the game at NSO in April, they showed excellent defence. We couldn't get through them, only making 30 metres in a typical set of six. At the same time, our tacklers weren't wrapping up the ball letting Norths get too many offloads away. Our left side defence was a real worry.

Norths are the best side in the comp. Well played to them but I was disappointed we let the score blow out like that. At 28-12, we should have given it everything. Instead Norths score 4 tries in ten minutes.

We had a great crowd today. It would've been better if there wasn't all that grey cloud in the sky. A good roll up back at the Golden Barley Hotel last night too.

Back to the drawing board. We've got Wests this Friday and they are a much better side than when we played them last. This will be no easy game.

Jeffles, is there any accurate way of ascertaining crowd numbers? Say based on the gate takings.

I'd say there where perhaps 1500 people. Is Norths always the highest drawing game at Henson?

Jeffles

Bench
Gate taking swouldn't tell you everything because we don't count how many get in with officials passes nor the proportion of full paying v concessions nor how many members used match passes on a given day. Etc

The Grandstand was a lot fuller than in other games we've had - probably people wanting to keep away from the wind and in case it rained.

I took some photos of the ground yesterday. You can get Roger Cowan and count them if you like. LOL.