What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Gold Coast RLFC Thread!

RainMan

Juniors
DJ1 said:
How about Gold Coast Bears

That names available isn't it?

That name is associated with whingeing, bleating, 'hard done by' and 'not our fault but theirs ' stories etc.

Dakink

Bench
Santa Fe Gold presents "The Gold Coast Strippers"

mmmm I doubt it.

GC Sun
GC Burn
GC RLFC
GC Mortar
GC Redbacks
GC Fun

mightybears

Bench
DIEHARD said:
To save making a new thread everytime anything happens, I think we should post most key developements in one thread, because I'm sure everyone is sick of all the GC and Bears threads.

Here is one to kick off the thread...

FOX SPORTS said:
Gold Coast bid boost - Council to underwrite stadium?
April 20, 2005

THE prospect of a Gold Coast franchise returning to the NRL gained further momentum today with the local council set to discuss the possibility of footing the entire bill for a new stadium.

A lack of suitable venues for the club to base themselves had been the only stumbling block in the Gold Coast consortium's bid for a team licence with the NRL insisting they play out of a rectangular arena.

But their chances of breaking into the competition by 2007 appear to have improved dramatically with Gold Coast mayor Ron Clarke declaring a desperate need to break the "stalemate" with the NRL.

"Whatever happens we have to break the nexus of the NRL saying 'providing you can provide a stadium we'll give you a licence' and we're saying 'providing you give us a licence we can finance a stadium'," Mr Clarke said.

"That's why we're going around in circles at the moment and I want to break that nexus so I've asked the (Gold Coast) CEO (Dale Dickson) to put in a proposal for the council to discuss and take matters into their own hands."

The Gold Coast City Council (GCCC) had previously committed $6 million to the project but the cost of either redeveloping Carrara Stadium or building a new ground at Robina is expected to be at least 10 times that amount.

Cr Clarke, a former Australian middle distance runner who won a bronze medal at the 1964 Olympics, said he was confident of gaining the green light from the council providing the potential outweighs the risk.

"I'll have to see the figures first but if the figures are right, then yes I believe the council have the wear with all to be able to underwrite the proposal," he said.

The council is set to convene on April 29 to discuss the matter less than two weeks out from an expected decision regarding possible expansion by the NRL.

Wellington and the Central Coast remain in the hunt for the competition's 16th team licence but it's the Gold Coast bid which is making all the noise at the moment.

Despite losing its Dolphins moniker earlier this month, Gold Coast academy head and former Penrith premiership winning lock Scott Sattler says the club is ready to go.

"If we did get the nod then 2007 would be the obvious year and we'd be able to start full-scale operations the day after they name it," Sattler said.

"Everything's in place, we're just sitting in the garage waiting to kick the car over and take off."

Sattler has played a pivotal role in trying to get the club off the ground and even organised travel arrangements for the New Zealand team that based themselves on the tourist strip ahead of Friday's Test against Australia.

The Gold Coast consortium has already played host to two trial matches, the Australian and New Zealand rugby league teams, the Footy Show and is organising an NRL clash between North Queensland and premiers the Bulldogs.

i notice you didn't touch the courier mail article from today that said the afl talked with the GCCC [and essendon tragic mayor ron clarke] about guaranteeing carrara if re developed will be afl sized, and that they [the afl] have promised to help financially

DIEHARD

----
I don't buy the Courier everyday genius. If I saw the article online, it would be in this thread.

nqboy

First Grade
Dakink said:
Santa Fe Gold presents "The Gold Coast Strippers"
:lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :clap:

What about the Gold Coast Suns?

A play on the "sons" of the Gold Coast and what could be more Australian and more Gold Coast than the sun?

It sounds familiar, has some other mob already got the name? Basketball or something?

dimitri

First Grade
Gold Coast Jaegars

I know theres a netball team

Hunter Jaegars

but i think gold coast jaegars sounds cool

nqboy

First Grade
curious said:
Its the name of the local newspaper here
A natural fit as a major sponsor. They'd be looking to get on board anyway, the club would want them on board and the link could be a marketing bonanza for both.

Everybody wins.

DIEHARD

----
GOLD COAST GRYPHONS

griffin.jpg

griffin_right.jpg

Griffin.jpg

gryphon.jpg

gryphon.jpg

heraldgryph2.jpg

gryphon.gif

gryphon.jpg

tn_gryphon_jpg.gif

gryphdrag.jpg

griffon.jpg

040-4002-Gryphon002.gif

It's old school, classy and noble. It has featured in legends and heraldry for centuries.

It's half eagle, half lion...huge....mythical....something you do not want to #### with....what more could you ask for. :lol:

Gryphons are also representative of gold and the sun. ;-)

(GOLD COAST - AUSTRALIA'S SUN CAPITAL.)

Also...what is the Gryphons favourite meal and the creature they despise above all others?

Yes you guessed it....the horse.

Broncos.jpg

YUM

mightybears

Bench
GOLD COAST GRYPHONS [GRIFFINS] CAN BE SPONSORED BY GRIFFITH UNIVERSITY, alliteration city DIEHARD!
maybe they should build a stadium at GAVEN as well!

Broncodroid said:
Gold Coast Buccaneers. I think Michael Searle is looking to associate with a team in the NFL (Tampa Bay Buccaneers), other than that, if he still looking to appease Miami, we could have the Gold Coast Hurricanes which inherits the name from one the great college football teams in the Miami Hurricanes. The RU association though would perhaps kill that off.

I heard the Gold Coast Pirates was being touted as well.

I like the Buccaneers.

Reminds me of the ole. "Where's me Buccaneers" "there on ya Buccanhead" joke.

Broncodroid

Juniors
Gold Coast Gryphons? Interesting DIEHARD, I like some of the pics though I'd imagine the GRYPHONS would be a little on the 'difficult' side to market. Hell, the first pic could potentially scare of kids to Rugby :lol:

The 4th pic has some potential.

All in all it is a suggestion that albeit a little on the 'outhere' side in terms of marketing for the NRL in the same sentence refreshing. Something different from the cliche's in professional sport in Australia.

DIEHARD

----
Carrara Fate Decided Soon - Damian Barrett

Carrara's rebirth as an AFL venue is nearing, after a visit by a key AFL official to the venue during the week.

The AFL's general manager commercial operations Gillon McLachlan on Wednesday met Gold Coast City councillors who will decide its AFL fate next month.

Last used in a home and away match in 1992, Carrara is in poor condition. But, its location in the middle of a population growth belt has massive appeal to the AFL, which is contemplating the terms and level of investment.

The AFL will invest several million dollars in Carrara if the Gold Coast Council decides to upgrade it as a mutlt-purpose venue, which would allow a sharing of cost by other sports.

Gold Coast mayor Ron Clarke said his preference was for two stadiums in the region - a rectangular venue for Rugby League, Rugby Union and Soccer and a venue with a larger playing oval to accommodate Australian Rules and Cricket.

Misty Bee

First Grade
With a historical bent

Gold Coast Dwarves ('cos they never lived up to being Giants)

Gold Coast Pelicans ('cos they were friggin useless at being Seagulls)

Gold Coast Valiants ('cos they were not Chargers for very long)

My fave -the Gold Coast Masons (they've already been kicked out...)

DIEHARD

----
Misty Bee said:
With a historical bent

Gold Coast Dwarves ('cos they never lived up to being Giants)

Gold Coast Pelicans ('cos they were friggin useless at being Seagulls)

Gold Coast Valiants ('cos they were not Chargers for very long)

My fave -the Gold Coast Masons (they've already been kicked out...)

Craig McLachlan is that you?