What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Gold Coast RLFC Thread!

DIEHARD

----
pennywisealfie said:
If they struggle to find a suitable name, why not go with the original, The Gold Coast Bid Team. The logo would be michael searle sitting at his desk.

I'll pay that!

taipan

Referee
Tap Twist Snap said:
For the sucess of the team I think the stadium needs to be on the trainline at robina. There is heaps of parking there at the Town Centre and they would get alot more sponsorship from all the surrounding businesses. Carrara is a pain to get to and will be so no matter what happens. Good luck to the AFL if they want the ground it's a hole in a crappy location.

I hope it is built next to the trainline,not on it ;-) although Preston Campbell would outpace and outswerve any diesel locomotive.
Building near a rail link is the obvious choice to move big crowds and avoid congestion such as that traffic jam Carrara.

nqboy

First Grade
What do you think Diehard? Robina or Carrara?

I'm not familiar with GC geography past my impressions of a decade ago that Carrara has shit access and what I've read about Robina having the train line and parking at the shopping centre.

DIEHARD

----
Robina would be the best site, but building at Carrara and shutting down the AFL is a tempting option.

Carrara is currently favourite, because the council own the land. But seening as the Council previously offered 6 million to the construction of a new stadium and now the state government will foot the entire bill, maybe the Council wont mind spending the money on securing the Robina site, especially considering they will have nearly a blank cheque to build the best stadium they can.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Just wondering where their club house will be

After they get the stadium up and running, they will be the only team in the NRL, without a Leagues Club

DIEHARD

----
Twizzle said:
After they get the stadium up and running, they will be the only team in the NRL, without a Leagues Club

Newcastle and Melbourne don't have Leagues Clubs as far as I know. :?

DIEHARD

----
Apparently the bid team are taking a liking to 'Pirates' and the Sunday Mail reports that it is being fairly well received by the public.

There will be an online poll for names in June, which will be narrowed down to five choices with an announcement in August.

Pirates is all right.

ali

Bench
Tele reports that Robina is the pick. I don't know how much help the train line will be unless they plan on shipping fans down from southern Brisbane. I am not sure of the exact Geographic definition of the Gold Coast, but as far as I know, there are only 3 stations on that line in the Gold Coast; Robina, Nerrang and Helensvale. From what I've seen of Helensvale and nerrang they are both in the middle of nowhere and train services are very irregular on that line.

Gold Coast public transport appears absolute shite from what I've seen.

taipan

Referee
Gold Coast Developers #-o
Gold Coast Tans :roll:
nah the Pirates- one eyed supporters wearing a black eyepatch is the go .

Sir Clifford GC

Juniors
Carrara is the most central and will be alot easier to access now they have almost finished widening ross st.

As for the name
Id love them to be the Chargers again

or why not go with the Gold Coasts traditonal name from the Old QLD state league
The Vikings

vlad

juniors
The Gold Coast Doctor Deaths

the mascot will be a guy wearing an old bears jersey sucking a lemon.

Lego_Man

First Grade
Sir Clifford GC said:
Carrara is the most central and will be alot easier to access now they have almost finished widening ross st.

As for the name
Id love them to be the Chargers again

or why not go with the Gold Coasts traditonal name from the Old QLD state league
The Vikings

They couldn't really go Vikings, the Raiders are pretty much Vikings already (check out their logo). But i wouldnt mind Chargers again, however they may not want to associate with previous (failed) franchises.

DIEHARD

----
NRL_man said:
Gold Coast Diehards

No way, but could you imagine the irony.

Everytime Doctor Death, Mighty Bears, Dodge and all the other goons see the Gold Coast play or in the paper it would be GOLD COAST DIEHARDS.

Always bringing back sweet memories of their good old buddy on LU. :nwave:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PRICELESS.

mightybears

Bench
YOU SEE DIEHARD AS AN AUSTRALIAN THING OR JUST ANOTHER SEPPO NAME [FROM A MOVIE AS OPPOSED TO YOUR USUALLY FAVOURED NFL FRANCHISES]?