What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Good Old Days

Pando

Juniors
Saw the '88 Grand Final on Fox today, and it brings back memories.

The game has changed so much since then, but watching it with my mates, it became apparent, that it's the little details that have changed.

The brown leather ball, the hard fought scrum, the ball boy bringing out the bucket of sand for the kicker, the player stats that included the player's job (David Gillespie, Council worker), putting Mortimer on with a broken wrist, so he could go out a winner.

Was good fun to watch. I'll have to try to catch more of those old games, to remind me why I loved the game in the first place.

And Lamb was brilliant as always.

Knightmare

Coach
I have a tape of the 1983 Grand Final (including pre-match entertainment AND adds for the "All new Toyota Corona" :lol: ), the 1986 Grand Final, two games from 1988, a stack from '89 including the Steelers getting robbed in the Panasonic Cup, two Parramatta games from 1990 and two Raiders home games from the same year. They're great to watch as background musac when you're pissed. :p

Pando

Juniors
Was good to hear old Rex Mossop (Manly toadie) again as well. And no video ref. The list goes on...

Southernsaint

Staff member
The game has become sanatised.

The best thing about watching old matches?? You don't hear:"Hooooooolllllddddddd......gggggggggo!!" every single f**king tackle.

That pisses me off, no end. Just turn the mic on when needed, a la stump mic in cricket.

hutch

First Grade
i think we are in the 'good old days still', and only going to get better and bigger globally!

loved footy back then and love it just as much today.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
hutch said:
i think we are in the 'good old days still', and only going to get better and bigger globally!

loved footy back then and love it just as much today.

I love footy even more today. I think the game itself is way better as well.

But while there are certain things about old style footy that the modern game is missing, you couldn't reintroduce them without fundamentally changing the game for the worse.

In effect, improving the quality of football has necessitated the sanitisation Southernsaint mentioned.

Pando

Juniors
Well, after watching that old game, it's obvious that the scrum should be changed to a turn-over.
If the "new" scrum(forwards standing up and hugging) is an "improvement" in the game, I'll stand rooted.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Pando said:
Well, after watching that old game, it's obvious that the scrum should be changed to a turn-over.
If the "new" scrum(forwards standing up and hugging) is an "improvement" in the game, I'll stand rooted.

Although teams rarely want to take a risk on their first tackle, spreading the ball wide from a scrum win is still one of the best attacking opportunities in the game.

That's because even though the forwards aren't contesting the scrum, the fact they even have to be there takes them out of the defensive line.

Pando

Juniors
And that improves the game how? The forwards were out of the defensive line in a scrum before. The only difference, is that they used to actually do something in a scrum.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Pando said:
And that improves the game how? The forwards were out of the defensive line in a scrum before. The only difference, is that they used to actually do something in a scrum.

Are we still talking about the same thing?

You're the one who said they should get rid of scrums. I just pointed out that they don't need to be a contest for them to have any use.

Just admit you're a dope and I'll forgive you and we can move on.

Titanic

First Grade
Why not both packs just sit on the ground, cover their eyes with their hands and count to ten before they can get up? No math's jokes please - we all know props can't count unless they take their boots off.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Titanic said:
Why not both packs just sit on the ground, cover their eyes with their hands and count to ten before they can get up?

It would look a bit gay but there'd be no effective difference.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I saw the game as well

Michael Hagen playing at halfback for the Doggies

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Watched the '71 and 80 grand-finals recently, both absolute garbage.

The rules in 1980 were absolutely dreadful, how if you kick it out inside your own half you got a scrum feed. It was worse than union.

The game has improved immeasurably.

salivor

First Grade
Sure it has Theirry, some of that 80's football was terrible to watch but I really enjoyed the 1998 Grand Final they showed last night.

In 10 years I think we've gone in the wrong direction. The speed of the play the balls was much faster than it is today without the dominant and surrender tackles and the amount of wrestling allowed to take place these days. Skill level has obviously improved but putting that aside it was more enjoyable to watch than what is being dished up this year.

bjm8

Juniors
Pando said:
Saw the '88 Grand Final on Fox today, and it brings back memories.

The game has changed so much since then, but watching it with my mates, it became apparent, that it's the little details that have changed.

The brown leather ball, the hard fought scrum, the ball boy bringing out the bucket of sand for the kicker, the player stats that included the player's job (David Gillespie, Council worker), putting Mortimer on with a broken wrist, so he could go out a winner.

Was good fun to watch. I'll have to try to catch more of those old games, to remind me why I loved the game in the first place.

And Lamb was brilliant as always.

Dont forget that rule where Terry Lamb is allowed to take out your gun player to gain an advantage.

Latest posts