What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Greatest Three

Macca

Coach
Not too sure about your choice of Lote Tuqiri... I mean he was a good player, but was he really better than the likes of Willie Carne or Michael Hancock?

Easily.

greeneyed

First Grade
simon says said:
No ones mentioned the Balmain sides of 1915-17.First three in a row,first time undefeated and first all three grades.If you are talking alltime greats,its hard to go past this record.

All time greats for Bamain isnt easy......so many to choose from.......but Ill go for Pony Holloway,Keith Barnes and Junior Pearce.......hard to leave out blokes like Elias,Jack,Blocker,Sirro etc.......

Cheers.

PS.....all time great sides(what I see as dynasties).
Balmain...teens,Souths ..thirty's,Saints 60's,Roosters 70's,Parra 80's,Broncos 90's.

Simon... you left out the Raiders of the late 80s, early 90s.... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: Especially the "1989 dynasty"... :D :D :D

Best three Raiders ever, have been Mal Meninga, Laurie Daley, Ricky Stuart in that order.

miccle

Bench
Kiwi said:
Broncos alll time 13.

1 - Darren Lockyer
2 - Lote Tuqiri
3 - Steve Renouf
4 - Gene Miles
5 - Wendal Sailor
6 - Wally Lewis
7 - Allan Langer
8 - Glenn Lazarus
9 - John Plath / Kerrod Walters
10 - Shane Webcke
11 - Gordon Tallis
12 - Brad Thorn
13 - Trevor Gilmeister

I"m very close to agreeing with that. Chuck out John Plath with Kerrod winning the hooking role pretty easily, and I'm gonna have to go with Carne and Hancock as the winners for the wing spots. Sailor and Tuquiri were great, but should just miss out here...

Give it three years and Locky will be no. 6, and probably Hunt at fullback. I kid you not. Also because imo wally didn't do much for the broncos itself - but was a phenomenal player at state level and for the brisbane comp & seagulls.

Mystery Man

Juniors
miccle said:
Kiwi said:
Broncos alll time 13.

1 - Darren Lockyer
2 - Lote Tuqiri
3 - Steve Renouf
4 - Gene Miles
5 - Wendal Sailor
6 - Wally Lewis
7 - Allan Langer
8 - Glenn Lazarus
9 - John Plath / Kerrod Walters
10 - Shane Webcke
11 - Gordon Tallis
12 - Brad Thorn
13 - Trevor Gilmeister

I"m very close to agreeing with that. Chuck out John Plath with Kerrod winning the hooking role pretty easily, and I'm gonna have to go with Carne and Hancock as the winners for the wing spots. Sailor and Tuquiri were great, but should just miss out here...

Give it three years and Locky will be no. 6, and probably Hunt at fullback. I kid you not. Also because imo wally didn't do much for the broncos itself - but was a phenomenal player at state level and for the brisbane comp & seagulls.

My team would be:

1 - Darren Lockyer
2 - Michael Hancock
3 - Steve Renouf
4 - Darren Smith
5 - Wendall Sailor
6 - Kevin Walters
7 - Allan Langer
8 - Glenn Lazarus
9 - Kerrod Walters
10 - Shane Webcke
11 - Gordon Tallis
12 - Brad Thorn
13 - Terry Matterson

As for the top three, they would be, in order, Langer, Lockyer and Webcke. The only other players that I would consider are Renouf and Sailor.

On the wingers, Sailor was by far the best of the lot. Tuqiri and Carne, at their best, were both better players than Hancock, but they didn't have the longevity to deserve a mention in an all-time team.

Anonymous

Juniors
Warriors:-

Stacey Jones - Kiwi Immortal already. Been in the top 2 try assists tallies for countless years.

Kevin Campion - Brought professionalism to the club. Only there for what 2 years, but boy he made a difference.

Ali Lauitiiti - The best ball playing forward I've seen.

A club early in its infancy, still not including the likes of PJ Marsh, Nigel Vagana and Mr Suspension Matthew Ridge. I think over the next 20-30 years, given the sheer amount of juniors, we'll get another 2 to join Stacey Jones in that list. Stacey for his dedication, loyalty, committment and courage in my estimation won't ever be superceded.

Damn, you beat me to it. I was gonna pick the same 3. The only one I had reservations about was Campion, since he only played 40-something games, while Stace has played over 200 and Ali over 100. But Campion will go down as a Warriors legend for what he did in a couple of seasons, so he seems an obvious choice. Others I would mention are long-serving players Guttenbeil and SeuSeu, both with over 100 games for the club.

Foz

Bench
For Saint 60

You were right about Raper going for the money.
I found this interview for you.
http://www.showroom.com.au/dragons/dragonshistory/history_stgeorge4a.htm

He did play for a Sydney Colts side,played first Grade with Newtown at 16, and told by a Newtown mate to take the money. (not dis-similar at all to Rogers)

I have heard the interview a few times where Raper was told by Frank Facer (I think that was the secretary at the time) to come here and you'll win yourself a premiership.

In those days of the residential rule you had to live in a place for 12 months.
Raper's obviously played a year with Newtown knowing full well he was playing with St George the following year. (that linked into the interview I heard re the Colts game and Facer).

hunter69

Juniors
back to the original subject! the roosters being a foundation club should have at least 5 not 3. they have to much of a great history.
my players would be
1 dally messenger
2 dave brown
3 artie beetson
4 luke ricketson
5 KEVIN HASTINGS (the legend)

ricko cause he has played the most games & has been insirational over the last 12 year's

Saint 60

Juniors
Luke Ricketson?
ummm what about Bozzo...? Immortal?
foundation club o lol ---------

Foz yeah Facer was extradinary, i think Bullfrog came close to him ---- both extremely good cheats, most of the others just cheated but these blokes made it count ---- actually i think that rule that u talk about costs saints its 12th final in a row, its hard to tell in those days because there are so many opinions and stories change from person to person --- but lol thanks and np

Brisbane side would have to Include Gino Miles either in the Second Row or Centre - its a pity he was a bit older than Wally and Meniga, he was a better centre than Meniga except he couldnt kick for chit lol
probibly move Thorne out - but from what i remember Miles was far better than Renouf or Smith, matter of fact im pretty sure he taught them to play :) lol

---------------------------------------------------

Founding Clubs :( y didnt u c Super league coming, i coulda made a quid --- grrrrrrrrrr lol

Phillips

Referee
EELS

1. Dean Pay
2. Jarrod McCracken
3. Jason Smith

4. Jim Dymock
5. Jason Taylor

others: Nathan Hindmarsh - Nathan Cayless - John Simon

Tommy Smith

Referee
parra_panther said:
PANTHERS

1. Greg Alexander
2. Royce Simmons
3. Craig Gower

4. Ryan Girdler
5. Brad Fittler
Gower ahead of Fittler huh? May i ask why? Not looking for an argument, just curious.

AdamH

Juniors
I agree with Gower ahead of Fittler because I believe Fittler has served the Roosters better than he has Penrith. But I'd have Fittler above Girdler for sure.

wogdog

Juniors
Renowned League Expert said:
wogdog said:
a would have to say top three for the bulldogs would be

1.george peponis
2.terry lamb
3.steve mortimer

I'd have Les Johns in there ahead of Peponis, who was no more than tradesmanlike although a great leader of men.

yeah i guess so but you cant really leave peponis either a great leader himslef representing his country and club

ngap

Juniors
Phillips said:
EELS

1. Dean Pay
2. Jarrod McCracken
3. Jason Smith

4. Jim Dymock
5. Jason Taylor

What about Cronin, Sterling, Price, Kenny, Zip Zip?

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Phillips said:
EELS

1. Dean Pay
2. Jarrod McCracken
3. Jason Smith

4. Jim Dymock
5. Jason Taylor

Jason Smith and Jim Dymock = the 2 most over rated players of the past decade.

EdBurton

Juniors
Phillips said:
EELS

1. Dean Pay
2. Jarrod McCracken
3. Jason Smith

4. Jim Dymock
5. Jason Taylor

I think you're showing your age there Phillips!

and John Simon? :lol: :lol:

Latest posts