What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Greatest Three

Whilst at Shark Park a few weeks back I noticed the Cronulla Legends walk. So over a Chinese meal a few of us spent the next 45 minutes discussing who we thought were the 3 greatest ever Roosters. Based on stories, history and what we knew or had seen ourselves. So I thought why not see what everyone thinks of there own clubs. This could be a a good thread and I would hope it doesn't degenrate into a Saints v Cronulla slanging match or a shot at Roosters juniors etc etc. So I open this to see who everyone thinks are the three greatest people from your club. It can be players, coaches or even officials. Give a reason why and rank em from 3 back to 1.

I came up with for the Roosters

3. Dave Brown a phenomenal pointscorer and the dominant player during the strife torn depression. The Don Bradman of the winter months in Sydney. A bloke responsible for point scoring records that still stand to day. The legend of a legendary side of the 30's for the Roosters.

2. Dally Messenger the player whom most people associate with starting our code. The first out and out champion a player so revered he has the best and fairest medal named after him almost 100 years after he started. A pointscoring legend and a player whose freakish skills people came from far and wide too see. Instrumental in the Roosters first 3 premierships 1911-1913.

1. Arthur Beetson a player who has been there for the Roosters for over 30 years basically. A bloke with whom our great 70's side was built around (pardon the pun). A bloke who led us out of the wilderness in the 70's to premiership, Amco Cup and World Challenge success. He then coached us in the late 70's. In the mid 80's (85 to be exact) he was enticed back to Sydney to take over after our worst year since 66. he made us competitive and then took us to the brink of a Grand Final in 87. Again Artie was called upon by the Roosters to help them out for the last 8 games in 1994. He then became our recrutiment and junior development officer and set up the feeder arrangement with Redcliffe and has been involved in theposition for 10 years now. he has bought a vast plethora of young kids to our club and they have gone onto Origin and Aust success. The Roosters successes over the last 30 yrs have all been associated in some way or another with one A Beetson.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Well naturally I am happy with the selections my club made.
Steve Rogers
Gavin Miller
Andrew Ettingshausen

Those selections of yours Southern Rooster, certainly seem worthy.
Arthur would be a moral, seeing as he is an Immortal for everyone.
Great choices me thinks.

wittyfan

Referee
For the Roosters it would have to be without question:

Ray Stehr
Dally Messenger
Dave Brown

Perth Reds:

Mick Potter
Mark Geyer
Julian O'Neill

Gold Coast:

Adrian Vowles
Geoff Bagnall
David Bouveng

Southernsaint

Staff member
Foz said:
I'd have Wally Lewis in the Gold Coast's top 3.

Gold Coast:

Wally Lewis
Wayne Bartrim
Graeme Mackay

Western Reds:

Brad Mackay
Matt Geyer
Rodney Howe

South Queensland Crushers:

Mario Fenech :lol:
Clinton Shicfkofske
Nigel Gaffey

Cheers,
Ben S.

bluesbreaker

Bench
Newcastle.

Paul Harrogan - Awesome front-rower, 20 straight SOO, great captain.
Danny Buderus - As good as Steve Walters
Andrew Johns - Almost certainly an immortal, many consider best player ever, most consider best player in the world.

RenoufPhan

Juniors
It is extremely hard to just pick 3 for the Broncos. Especially when we had a number of great players who were only at the club for a short time. Guys like Wally Lewis (46 games for Brisbane), Gene Miles (79 games), Dale Shearer (30 games), Trevor Gillmeister (80 games), and the list goes on.

But if we had to pick the 3 greatest Broncos of all-time, you have to factor in longevity, success, leadership, as well as ability.

1. Allan Langer - 258 games for the Broncos
Simply the greatest Bronco ever. I don't think any fan of the club would dispute this. Alfie was he greatest halfback in not only Brisbane, but also Queensland history. Captained the Broncos to 4 Premierships and won the Broncos Player of the Year Award a record 5 times.

2. Gorden Tallis - 149* games for the Broncos
Still going strong as captain of the current side. The single most intimidating and damaging forward in Broncos history - and that's saying something when the likes of Gillmeister, Webcke, Backo and Thorn have worn the colours. Absolutely unstoppable in his prime, and an inspirational leader to boot.

3. Shane Webcke - 199* games for the Broncos
The greatest prop forward of the past 20 years, and would be up there with the greatest ever. A tireless worker, who always gives 100% to the team, and runs the last hitup of a game with as much venom as the first hitup. Physically imposes himself on the opposition, and has dominated at all levels of the game (NRL, State of Origin, International football).

Honorable mention: Kevie Walters (271), Steve Renouf (212 games), Darren Lockyer (203*), Wendell Sailor (209), Brad Thorn (149), Michael Hancock (297), Andrew Gee (279). Glenn Lazarus (137), Terry Matterson (178).

EdBurton

Juniors
It's VERY hard for Souths
But I'll go with

Bob McCarthy
John Sattler
Ron Coote

All three captained Souths to Premierships and also captained Australia.

I'm not even going to go into and honorable mentions part cause there'd be about 50 players.

(however nobody from the past 15 years!) :cry:

Macca

Coach
The sharks ones have been picked for us but I agree with your selections from the Roosters too.

EdBurton said:
It's VERY hard for Souths
But I'll go with

Bob McCarthy
John Sattler
Ron Coote

All three captained Souths to Premierships and also captained Australia.

I'm not even going to go into and honorable mentions part cause there'd be about 50 players.

(however nobody from the past 15 years!) :cry:

It would be very hard to leave Clive Churchill out. Captained em to premierships and then coached em.

wittyfan

Referee
Wests:

Chris Stephandellis
Ian Naden
Trevor Coggar

Illawarra:

Rod Wishart
Paul McGregor
Trent Barrett

Macca

Coach
Clive Churchill is a shoe in. He is an Immortal. The bloody medal for MoM in GF's is named after him. Geez, you call yourself a Souths fan?

Southernsaint

Staff member
I don't think the St George ones need doing.

I would venture to say that a Greatest Ever St George XIII would flog pretty-much every other Greatest Ever team any other club could assemble.

Cheers,
Ben S.