What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Grub is back.... At the Roosters

sretsoor

Juniors
Yesterday on the radio, plus there was this in the SMH today:

But Roosters recruitment guru Peter O'Sullivan, who capped off a golden summer in the player market by extending Mitchell Pearce's contract for another four years, said the side's roster for this season was a result of good management.
''It's pretty simple - the salary cap went up and we had money to spend,'' O'Sullivan said.
Advertisement
''The other thing is that we had a significant sum left over last year. We left some money up our sleeve and that obviously carries over and gives us extra spending this year.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ent-rewards-20130214-2efv9.html#ixzz2KvSzs800

I didnt realise that was an option for clubs but I can understand how it is feasible. Still, it's a massive gamble to be paying a player until you have them at the club - anything could go wrong.​

bellyache

Bench
images

Matchball

Bench
Roosters cant win the comp even if they have the pack.
The halves are useless and you guys signed the worse of the two for another four.

Spastics.

mxlegend99

Referee
Roosters have arguably the strongest team in the comp if you exclude halves IMO. Maloney and Pearce are both better then plenty of halves, but they are still a pretty big weakness in a gun side. But Dogs managed to do well with a similarly strengthed side, and the Roosters halves are better then Dogs were. If the coach can build a game plan that minimises his halves short comings like Dessie did, they will be top 4 and a great chance at making the grand final.

This is ofcourse giving Jennings and SBW the botd about avoiding injury, and LOD injury/suspension.

Lambretta

First Grade
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/1303159/cap-guns-roosters-reap-recruitment-rewards/?cs=2453

SYDNEY ROOSTERS are now reaping the benefits of using only about 90 per cent of their salary cap last year.

Questions have been raised over the Roosters' ability to sign James Maloney, Sonny Bill Williams, Michael Jennings and now Luke O'Donnell, without going over the $5.8 million salary cap for this year.
But Roosters recruitment guru Peter O'Sullivan, who capped off a golden summer in the player market by extending Mitchell Pearce's contract for another four years, said the side's roster for this season was a result of good management.
''It's pretty simple - the salary cap went up and we had money to spend,'' O'Sullivan said.

''The other thing is that we had a significant sum left over last year. We left some money up our sleeve and that obviously carries over and gives us extra spending this year.''
The Sydney Roosters were in a better position to capitalise on the $800,000 increase in this year's salary cap than most clubs because they don't have many players with clauses in their contracts.
''We only have a small number of players who are on contracts that have to go up a certain percentage if the salary cap goes up,'' O'Sullivan said. ''Other clubs have quite a large number of players. All their higher-paid players are on those percentage clauses, so any increase in the cap isn't able to be taken advantage of.
''We didn't have the clauses that other clubs have got that chews up the cap, so we were able to spend it on our footy team.''
Back-ended deals are a nightmare for clubs to control, which is why some teams were inactive in the player market for this season. O'Sullivan said it wasn't a problem the Roosters had to worry about.
''Some other clubs have players on heavy back-ended deals that start to kick in this year - we don't,'' he said.

''What compounds their problem is that not only are they back-ended, but they are back-ended with a percentage increase.''
The Roosters have also parted ways with Braith Anasta, Mose Masoe, BJ Leilua and Brad Takairangi since the end of last year.
While O'Donnell's signature has raised a few eyebrows, O'Sullivan said the deal with the former North Queenslander didn't break the bank.
''Luke O'Donnell's not coming back for a king's ransom,'' he said.

''He's coming back for a chance to play in the NRL. The money he was on over there in the English Super League with Huddersfield, especially the way the dollar was, he was on half of what he left Australia on.
''He and his family were just homesick and really just came back for an opportunity to play in the NRL again. That's where we came into it.''
Under the new collective bargaining agreement about to be passed, the salary cap will increase by $400,000 a season for the next four years, plus an additional $50,000 a year in marquee player allowances.
While O'Sullivan jokingly said he was now in a position to take a six-month holiday after retaining and signing the club's priorities, he has turned his attention to rookie winger Daniel Tupou, who is in the final stages of finalising a contract extension.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Glad to have LOD back in the nrl, the bloke is really the last of his era. I'll be surprised if we see too many more genuine lunatics in the NRL again. They are all too professional theses days.

I mean if your team is down and you need someone to spear tackle a bloke, headbutt the biggest forward on the park in the ensuing maul, and then elbow the opposisition halfback in the face breaking his jaw to pump you up who are you going to look for? Matt prior barely gave thurston a bruise, we need a bloke like LOD who was born about 20 years too late.

Charlie124

First Grade
I loved LOD's passion and fire but my god he could find a penalty or 6 when he wanted to, I hope he does well but I'm not so sure the roosters are going to get much out of him or SBW when you take injuries and suspensions into it.

11. JWH
12. SBW
13. LOD

Lambretta

First Grade
I loved LOD's passion and fire but my god he could find a penalty or 6 when he wanted to, I hope he does well but I'm not so sure the roosters are going to get much out of him or SBW when you take injuries and suspensions into it.

11. JWH
12. SBW
13. LOD

Hey, giving away penalties is a way of life at Bondi Junction - we live for it
How's his hands? If he knocks on 15 times per game, he'll fit right in.

5 games in and we'll be wondering why we never signed him before.

PS. JWH will be playing 8 or 10 surely?

bellyache

Bench
We will get 26 rounds out of him and gives us some options.
Youll be lucky to get 10 a piece out of SBW and LOD.
LOL! I'm hate to tell you but your options are limited and yes Banasta will deliver, 26 rounds of 5 tackles and 2 runs for 13 metres.... With or without SBW and LOD we are still better off.. Good luck with it all...

bellyache

Bench

11. JWH
12. SBW
13. LOD
Maybe, if you wish hard enough when you blow your candles out...

MSIH

Bench
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/1303159/cap-guns-roosters-reap-recruitment-rewards/?cs=2453

SYDNEY ROOSTERS are now reaping the benefits of using only about 90 per cent of their salary cap last year.

Questions have been raised over the Roosters' ability to sign James Maloney, Sonny Bill Williams, Michael Jennings and now Luke O'Donnell, without going over the $5.8 million salary cap for this year.

The Sydney Roosters were in a better position to capitalise on the $800,000 increase in this year's salary cap than most clubs because they don't have many players with clauses in their contracts.
''We only have a small number of players who are on contracts that have to go up a certain percentage if the salary cap goes up,'' O'Sullivan said. ''Other clubs have quite a large number of players. All their higher-paid players are on those percentage clauses, so any increase in the cap isn't able to be taken advantage of.
''We didn't have the clauses that other clubs have got that chews up the cap, so we were able to spend it on our footy team.''
Back-ended deals are a nightmare for clubs to control, which is why some teams were inactive in the player market for this season. O'Sullivan said it wasn't a problem the Roosters had to worry about.
''Some other clubs have players on heavy back-ended deals that start to kick in this year - we don't,'' he said.

''What compounds their problem is that not only are they back-ended, but they are back-ended with a percentage increase.''
The Roosters have also parted ways with Braith Anasta, Mose Masoe, BJ Leilua and Brad Takairangi since the end of last year.
While O'Donnell's signature has raised a few eyebrows, O'Sullivan said the deal with the former North Queenslander didn't break the bank.
''Luke O'Donnell's not coming back for a king's ransom,'' he said.

''He's coming back for a chance to play in the NRL. The money he was on over there in the English Super League with Huddersfield, especially the way the dollar was, he was on half of what he left Australia on.
''He and his family were just homesick and really just came back for an opportunity to play in the NRL again. That's where we came into it.''
Under the new collective bargaining agreement about to be passed, the salary cap will increase by $400,000 a season for the next four years, plus an additional $50,000 a year in marquee player allowances.
While O'Sullivan jokingly said he was now in a position to take a six-month holiday after retaining and signing the club's priorities, he has turned his attention to rookie winger Daniel Tupou, who is in the final stages of finalising a contract extension.

Well if Peter O'Sullivan says the Roosters are under the cap, they're under the cap. He's a pretty honest kind of guy.

Latest posts