What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The "I Hope We Keep Matto" Thread

Eelementary

Post Whore
So I've spoken to a lot of mates who are Eels fans lately, and some rate him highly, while others don't rate him at all.

Personally, I don't understand the people who don't rate him - he is strong, agile, quick, a great defender, and skilful, and he even shows leadership qualities.

So - do you rate Matterson as a high-quality player? Why, or why not?

Suitman

Post Whore
I'm not sure that this is a particularly positive thread to start here.
Players read social media too. What can be gained by a thread like this?
Save it for Facebook, where it can be easily ignored.
Matterson currently is an Eel and putting in every week. I would have thought that we would support a player on our team list, regardless of what is currently being played out in the media.
We are one week into the season, and already the Daily media is trying to derail our season by printing rubbish to fill their pages.
The less oxygen we give this shite, the better.

Last edited:

hindy111

Post Whore
I would list him as good. But not great. Unsure if it was our halves. But he doesn't seem to break the line or even run that hard.
My style of 2nd rowers are Angus Crighton, Cordner,Frizzell types. Run hard and make breaks.
I'd rather Matterson at lock tbh.
To his credit his defense is great and he hasn't any real weakness. Id rather let N.Brown go and keep Matto and move him to the 13.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I'm not sure that this is a particularly positive thread to start here.
Players read social media too. What can be gained by a thread like this?
Save it for Facebook, where it can be easily ignored.
Matterson currently is an Eel and putting in every week. I would have thought that we would support a player on our team list, regardless of what is currently being played out in the media.
We are one week into the season, and already the Daily media is trying to derail our season by printing rubbish to fill their pages.
The less oxygen we give this shite, the better.

Fair point.

I didn't mean any disrespect to Ryan - I love how he plays.

I was only curious to see the reasons why some people may not be too upset if he were to leave.

Can I delete the poll?

IFR33K

Coach
A good player but not in the top few back rowers in the game. Wouldn’t be fussed if he went elsewhere, but like 111 said, would keep him over brown.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I would list him as good. But not great. Unsure if it was our halves. But he doesn't seem to break the line or even run that hard.
My style of 2nd rowers are Angus Crighton, Cordner,Frizzell types. Run hard and make breaks.
I'd rather Matterson at lock tbh.
To his credit his defense is great and he hasn't any real weakness. Id rather let N.Brown go and keep Matto and move him to the 13.

Interesting stats from 2020:

Line breaks

Viliame Kikau - 10
Angus Crichton - 6
Tyson Frizell - 3
Ryan Matterson - 3

Tackles

Viliame Kikau - 419
Angus Cricthton - 572
Tyson Frizell - 735
Ryan Matterson - 750

Offloads

Angus Crichton - 23
Viliame Kikau - 24
Tyson Frizell - 19
Ryan Matterson - 35

Running metres

Angus Crichton - 1,862m
Viliame Kikau - 1,868m
Tyson Frizell - 2,522m
Ryan Matterson - 2,369m

Suitman

Post Whore
Fair point.

I didn't mean any disrespect to Ryan - I love how he plays.

I was only curious to see the reasons why some people may not be too upset if he were to leave.

Can I delete the poll?

It has already been discussed in other threads. It didn't need a new one. Give the guy a break.
Where's your thread about Brown? Or Sivo, or any other player that may possibly leave?
We play Melbourne on Thursday and I would have thought fans focus would be on discussing the best chances we have of beating one of our our biggest rivals, not a thread inviting probable ridicule of a current player.

Eelementary

Post Whore
A good player but not in the top few back rowers in the game. Wouldn’t be fussed if he went elsewhere, but like 111 said, would keep him over brown.

Please don't think I am criticising you, or having a go - but I don't understand when people day he isn't in the top few back-rowers in the game.

His stats compare more than favourably to the top edge forwards running around, and I dare say that Moses and Brown are under-utilising him.

Eelementary

Post Whore
It has already been discussed in other threads. It didn't need a new one. Give the guy a break.
Where's your thread about Brown? Or Sivo, or any other player that may possibly leave?
We play Melbourne on Thursday and I would have thought fans focus would be on discussing the best chances we have of beating one of our our biggest rivals, not a thread inviting probable ridicule of a current player.

Fair enough.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I think he is a fantastic player, and he is a crucial addition to our team.

I know he will be ready to rip in tomorrow.

hindy111

Post Whore
The thing with Matto. He was a 5/8. 2016 he spent time at centre and forwards. He really has only had 2017,2018,2019,2020 in the forwards. So he had to learn a new position. I guess that is impressive.
For some reason I just see him as a lock and feel he could thrive there. As he did at Tigers. He was in the top 3 or 4 locks in the game.

Suitman

Post Whore
I think he is a fantastic player, and he is a crucial addition to our team.

I know he will be ready to rip in tomorrow.

So why start a thread questioning his worth to our team, which only invites others to ridicule and question his value? Serious question.

TheParraboy

Staff member

Can I delete the poll?

Done..

I hope we keep him, and Nathan Brown

But if he signs elsewhere all we ask he gives his all this year to Parra.

I think he has 2022 here in his favour to activate, if he wants to stay

If you believe BA, he loves playing at Parra, so maybe all just a media beat up, and his agent sniffing for more coin for his next deal here

Happy MEel

First Grade
So why start a thread questioning his worth to our team, which only invites others to ridicule and question his value? Serious question.
Mate, I don’t want to put words in @Eelementary’s mouth but I think he is asking if he is elite, as far as second rowers go. I reckon he is pretty bloody close.

Latest posts