What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

THE IDEAL NUMBER OF TEAMS IN THE NRL.

IDEAL NUMBER OF TEAMS IN NRL

• Total voters

dontmakemeangry

Juniors
What do you think is the right number of teams to compete in the nrl.

Me personally i'd love to see 12 eventually with each team playing everyone twice.

Watcha reckon?

taxidriver

Coach
The current scenario is unfair (only playing certain sides twice).

A number whereby you play everyone twice or just the once needs to be implemented.

DIEHARD

----
18 for sure.

Including;

Gold Coast Dolphins
NZ Southern Orcas
Perth

With maybe a 2nd Brisbane in the long term. :D

But no teams should be added at once and be separated by 2-3 years between entry. 16 is the ideal number for the moment.

miccle

Bench
In the shortish term - 16. What we have now plus the GC Dolphins. For 2008 or around there - I'd like 18... including the CC Bears and either another NZ team or perhaps one from another section of Australia.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
18 teams, 17 rounds.

Sounds silly but provided the same teams stay in the comp for a long period of time, have years where 9 teams play at home against certain team and another 9 play away against certain teams and swap. The draw doesn't need to be identical just have

"Bulldogs vs Brisbane" at Telstra in 2006
then
"Brisbane vs Bulldogs" at Suncorp in 2007
then
"Bulldogs vs Brisbane" at Telstra in 2008

and so on

Obviously people might not like that but it's similar to what we see at the moment, with not everyone playing everyone else twice.

Anonymous

Juniors
I agree with Dodges model completely.

I would add Gold Coast next followed by Adelaide and Perth in 5 or so years.

Anonymous

Juniors
Bazza that idea works well in theory but you hit too many problems IMO.

For example a side that gets axed would struggle to hold onto top players, thereby getting hammered when/if promoted back to the top grade.

bazza

Immortal
Timbo said:
Bazza that idea works well in theory but you hit too many problems IMO.

For example a side that gets axed would struggle to hold onto top players, thereby getting hammered when/if promoted back to the top grade.

We are a few teams short at the moment.
If you add Central Coast, Gold Coast and Wellington you have 18
De-merge the Joint ventures to get Western Suburbs (Campbeltown), Balmain, St George (Kogarah) and Illawarra and you have 20

Add at least 2 more teams to get 12 team NRL and 10 team 2nd division.

Yes - if a team goes down they will lose there better players. They would go to the newly promoted team or other teams in the top division

Issues would be travel costs for the lower division teams.
If the NRL is 12 teams, that is 3 (or 4) lots of $2.5 million that the NRL can split between the lower division teams

bazza

Immortal
pcpp said:
bazza said:
12 teams, 22 rounds

2nd division with promotion and relegation

That would've worked well for Penrith in 2003, eh? :roll:

Penrith came last in 2001
In 2002 they could have played 2nd division, won that, then won the NRL in 2003

taxidriver

Coach
Southern Rooster said:
Man_of_Steel_1982 said:
taxidriver said:
The current scenario is unfair (only playing certain sides twice).

A number whereby you play everyone twice or just the once needs to be implemented.

Agreed.

I'll 5th that and carry the motion.

I was educating some non-league people on the beauty of our game on the weekend and they were astounded that you only played certain teams twice.

Blind Freddy can see that this system is not equal and should be the first thing addressed in terms of the draw.

taxidriver

Coach
Penrith came last in 2001
In 2002 they could have played 2nd division, won that, then won the NRL in 2003

You think they would have had the team they had in 2003 if they played 2nd division in 2002 ? :roll:

Latest posts