What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Ipswich Knights

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
I'm pretty sure this is a Dobbo story, so put away the panic buttons. No way the NRL just up and abandons the Hunter Valley like that.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Of course it would be a big pile of sh... when its written by Slothfield.

If its not the most ridiculous idea ever, I don't know what is.

I just read the story in the paper (I was at the library). It is the ultimate click bait story as it opens with the words "the long delayed sale of the Knights has lead to outrageous speculation" of the Knights relocating to Ipswich. That's it "speculation". As such it is not worth the ink used in printing it and I wish I could get back the couple of minutes I used in reading it.

adamkungl

Immortal
I just read the story in the paper (I was at the library). It is the ultimate click bait story as it opens with the words "the long delayed sale of the Knights has lead to outrageous speculation" of the Knights relocating to Ipswich. That's it "speculation". As such it is not worth the ink used in printing it and I wish I could get back the couple of minutes I used in reading it.

But now Triple M and every other low grade bogan-baiting sports report is talking about it. Goal achieved.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Probably more of an issue worthy of discussion is do we think the NRL wanting $10mill to cover its investment in keeping the Knights going is fair or should they write the debt off in order to get a new ownership in place that can take the Knights forward?

Will this price tag see the Knights in NRL ownership for ever more and the NRL having to pick up the annual loss making?

adamkungl

Immortal
How is the NRL losing money on a team that has one of the highest crowd averages NSW and the worst, well under-cap squad?

Their financial ability raises serious questions.

Perth Red

Post Whore
How is the NRL losing money on a team that has one of the highest crowd averages NSW and the worst, well under-cap squad?

Their financial ability raises serious questions.

Lack of corporate support. If you look at most clubs operating revenue the big earners are:

Memberships and gate takings (or stadium agreements) (around $2-4mill)
NRL Grant (around $8mill)
Sponsorships (around $6-8mill)

Then you have the remaining operating deficit that is being made up by either pokie clubs, private ownership, NRL bail out or loans. This varies from club to club from zero to up to $5million plus

I agree Knights strength is in their fanbase (like Souths) and they should be doing everything possible to build that into their main source of revenue (like Souths have done growing memberships). The fact neither the NRL or Knights board has managed this remains a concern.