What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Ipswich Knights

siv

First Grade
When Tinkler went bust

Shouldn't the knights members get ownership back

Rather than selling the franchise off the the highest bidder

Anyway if Ipswich takeover the Knights

It will leave a big gap ready for someone like Easts to move in

Perth Red

Post Whore
Reign in the spending?

I don't know if you know a great deal about how the Knights are currently being operated but they're being run on far, far less currently than the other 15 clubs (Titans included).

If they reign in their spending any more the next thing to go will be the first grade coach (who is already getting squat to do the hardest job in the comp).

So why are they running at a $3mill deficit each year? I'm told its not sponsorship, its not lack of merch and membership/gate receipts, they get the NRL grant same as everyone so if its not excessive spending more than they are earning where's the problem sitting?

Not that they need a bigger fanbase but maybe a sweet deal with Gosford council and the stadium to take a 2-3 games a year there might fill the revenue gap? I know Roosters have their eye on the region but Newcastle would be a nearer proposition to build a following there maybe?

Burwood

Bench
So why are they running at a $3mill deficit each year? I'm told its not sponsorship, its not lack of merch and membership/gate receipts, they get the NRL grant same as everyone so if its not excessive spending more than they are earning where's the problem sitting?

So you think someone with the pedigree of Matt Gidley comes cheap?

Noname36

First Grade

Not that they need a bigger fanbase but maybe a sweet deal with Gosford council and the stadium to take a 2-3 games a year there might fill the revenue gap? I know Roosters have their eye on the region but Newcastle would be a nearer proposition to build a following there maybe?

Because NRL clubs cost a lot to run and unlike the majority of clubs the Knights don't have a leagues club or some kind of owner/backer footing a lot of the bills.

The days of clubs getting by on gate takings and sponsorship alone are well and truely over, hence why I don't understand why I keep seeing people ask why the Knights aren't profitable with large crowd and supporter numbers. The game has moved far past that.

Caped Crusader

Juniors
The Knights crowds are decent but their membership numbers are near the bottom of the NRL. I'd be surprised if merch sales weren't similar

Let's not forget, there were only what 2, maybe 3 profitable NRL clubs in 2016. Running an NRL club is near impossible to break even let alone make a profit

siv

First Grade

It seems that it has a lot to do with grants and cap not going up in sync

Grants went up to $7 mil in 2013 and not gone up since but salary cap has steady increased $500k every year from $4 mil to $7 mil in 2017

We need to be smarter from 2018 and keep them in sync each year

Rather than letting the grant jump to $14 mil for 5 years. We will have same issue in the back end 2 years

macavity

Referee
We aren't running a 3 year deficit rvery year. We have the worst stadium deal imaginable and we get flogged nearly every week. What a surprise we struggle a bit.

flippikat

Bench
If (and big *if*) this is a real option the NRL are considering, it makes a mockery of the Gold Coast Titans sale process - they have a potential buyer (Bears) that supposedly have been told "No rebranding, no relocation" if they want to buy.

jim_57

Staff member
Even the staunchest supporters of a 4th QLD side couldn't support this. You could probably say goodbye to 95% of Rugby League fans in Newcastle.

Reactions: siv

Diesel

Referee
The NRL make up rules to suit themselves. I haven't kept up to date with this but seeing an Ipswich Knights article tells me this is bullshit, won't happen and if the NRL were stupid enough to do so, it'd be a middle finger to the Hunter and it'd be supported as well as the Lions in AFL

Perth Red

Post Whore
Knights members club has no significant money and the club is running at a major deficit, would you want it back?