What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Irony

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Isn't it ronic when union players went to league before 1995, union's survival was NEVER questioned? Players were reported as traitors and poached and went purely for money!

Whilst now the shoe is on the other foot league's status is put in question and players are going for the international challenge. Even though European rugby basically consists of Britain and France.

eastsrule

Bench
Isn't it ronic when union players went to league before 1995, union's survival was NEVER questioned? Players were reported as traitors and poached and went purely for money!

Whilst now the shoe is on the other foot league's status is put in question and players are going for the international challenge. Even though European rugby basically consists of Britain and France.

Italy?

Ireland?

eastsrule

Bench
oh the irony..:lol:

mate, do you like RL or what?

To like RL I have to hate RU? Wtf.

All I've said is that the NRL and Bulldogs have no legal standing to prevent SBW from playing RU in France. You don't have to be a lawyer to know what sovereignty, jurisdiction and basic common law are and how they relate to this matter.

I've never liked SBW, but the way people are carrying on here about RL fans being at the airport to boo him and to take him to court to stop him playing RL is short-sighted.

On ParraEels, you need to stop bringing my f**king dad into this.

t-ba

Post Whore
All I've said is that the NRL and Bulldogs have no legal standing to prevent SBW from playing RU in France. You don't have to be a lawyer to know what sovereignty, jurisdiction and basic common law are and how they relate to this matter.

Except they can as has been discussed in another thread. The only problem ia it's really bloody expensive and drawn out.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Italy?

Ireland?

The Italian domestic league is second rate, besides this two countries on mainland Europe, does this constitute European Rugby Union? Or is there a hint of exaggeration?

Name the top NRL players going to these leagues in the prime of their career?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
A number of posts deleted in this thread.

Open forum notice to the participants in this squabble: cease hijacking discussions or you will have your access restricted.

Thank you.

Back on topic now please.

timma

Juniors
Rugby League clubs will not sign Rugby Union players cause union players are crap . Rugby Union has to sign all these League players to make their game better

bender

Juniors

:lol:

Unions survival was never questioned?

You were not around in these times were you?

It was questioned virtually every time it happened, or at least whenever it was a major player that switched. That is the main reason that they were eventually forced into professionalism (and semi professionalism before that). In Wales, the game nearly collapsed due to poaching which made the Welsh Union team totally uncompetitive. In Australia, it was very close to collapse, and this was strongly reported.

In reality, neither game is going to disappear.

taipan

Referee
To like RL I have to hate RU? Wtf.

I've never liked SBW, but the way people are carrying on here about RL fans being at the airport to boo him and to take him to court to stop him playing RL is short-sighted.

On ParraEels, you need to stop bringing my f**king dad into this.

Who says they have no legal standing.Gallop has already had some legal advice with sone saying the NRL has ,some no.QCs have also stated the SBW contract is water tight.Some countries have extraditions arrangements as an example,who knows what there is when sporting/business contracts are broken.
You forget that the boundaries in Europe have opened up.If the IRB won't do anything,the club can possibly be prevented nfrom playing in the comp which involves playing against English clubs like Leicester.
This will be a test case,and I hope the French union club pays put the money owed or compensation is sought.
French rugby union since the close ties with the Nazi vichy govt in having rugby league banned in 1941,their poaching of league players,is beneath contempt.

butchmcdick

Post Whore
Who says they have no legal standing.Gallop has already had some legal advice with sone saying the NRL has ,some no.QCs have also stated the SBW contract is water tight.Some countries have extraditions arrangements as an example,who knows what there is when sporting/business contracts are broken.
You forget that the boundaries in Europe have opened up.If the IRB won't do anything,the club can possibly be prevented nfrom playing in the comp which involves playing against English clubs like Leicester.
This will be a test case,and I hope the French union club pays put the money owed or compensation is sought.
French rugby union since the close ties with the Nazi vichy govt in having rugby league banned in 1941,their poaching of league players,is beneath contempt.

The Nazis..Vichy government...WTF has this got to do with SBW ? WTF has this got to do with anything 67 years after the event ?

Yngwie_70

Juniors
The irony here really is this: During the Super League War, Gallop worked for News Ltd. The very mob which encouraged players to forgo their contracts and sign with News. That is real irony, hypocrisy, whatever. Does anybody forgot Mal Meninga standing up at a press conference and saying "What has league ever done fro me" or words to that effect. I still remember the look on Johhny Rapers face. So please David, contracts have always been broken and will in the future.
This does not mean that I am supporting SBW just stating a fact.

Regards

BeeeeeRad

Juniors
Rugby League clubs will not sign Rugby Union players cause union players are crap . Rugby Union has to sign all these League players to make their game better

Signed yours truely,

Mat Rogers, Wendel Sailor, Brad Thorn, Mathew Ridge and Marc Ellis to name a few.

I'm a passionate league fan, watch nearly every game of the season. I also watch the occasional bit of international union. To say that union players are rubbish is just plain stupid and ignorant.

If Daniel Carter came out and said "I want to play league now" would you say nah you are crap? Of course you would welcome him with open arms.

League's forwards have to be much fitter, faster and stronger ball runners and all round better athletes than in union. But forwards in union are much more skillfull than your average league forward. They have to be able to perfect the scrum, lineout, ruck/mauls or they will almost certainly lose.

Don't get me wrong I prefer League way more than union and think it's a far better game, but to say union has no skill is ludacris.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
But forwards in union are much more skillfull than your average league forward. They have to be able to perfect the scrum, lineout, ruck/mauls or they will almost certainly lose.

lol The union commentators literally start yelling with excitement whenever a front rower passes the goddamn ball.

Union forwards spend way too much time on set pieces, which they always f**k up anyway (how many times are scrums and lineouts reset in the average game.) at the expense of actually practising how to play rugby (ie: passing, running, kicking, tackling, etc).

Latest posts