What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The jack wighton hype

Well seeing as the Raiders have had 50 put on them this season already, arguably a lot closer.
I know, and yet that team came out a week later and handled your team in your "f**kin house" quite easily. So where does that leave you? Even further behind the reigning premiers from the looks of things.

We played pretty badly at the start of last year too, yet we somehow still made the finals and directly stole your spot in the process. The last time I checked, we made the GF a lot more recently than your overpriveleged failure of a club too.

It must sting to be a Broncos fan.

YoungPanther

Juniors
Question for the smarter minds.

How do you think Jack convinced his manager that he is taking say $1.1M less and you will lose your percentage management fee of this?

Couldn't see a manager anywhere not pushing for him to stay at Raiders, unless the manager believes the BS as well.

some11

Referee
I know, and yet that team came out a week later and handled your team in your "f**kin house" quite easily. So where does that leave you? Even further behind the reigning premiers from the looks of things.

We played pretty badly at the start of last year too, yet we somehow still made the finals and directly stole your spot in the process. The last time I checked, we made the GF a lot more recently than your overpriveleged failure of a club too.

cope-seethe-cope-cope.gif

Canard

Immortal
Not sure if this has been posted yet

South Sydney Rabbitohs Salary cap: How club found $3m in savings for afford Jack Wighton

NRL clubs could learn alot from how South Sydney is managing their books. With almost $3 million in spare cash flow and no million dollar player, here’s how they can afford Jack Wighton.

Michael Carayannis, Brent Read, David Riccio

April 24, 2023 9:57 am

The Rabbitohs have arrived at a perfect salary cap storm as they prepare to pull a move out of the Latrell Mitchell playbook in their pursuit of his good mate Jack Wighton.

Wighton met South Sydney officials on Friday afternoon, the culmination of a whirlwind 24 hours for the Raiders star after hejetted to Brisbane for talks with Wayne Bennett and the Dolphins on Thursday.

A factor for Wighton will be planning under Bennett for just 12 months before he is moved on for Kristian Woolf.

The Dolphins emerged from that meeting confident that Wighton would choose them, but Souths arrived at talks with Wighton with a pair of aces up their sleeve in terms of his relationship with Mitchell and the smart planning of their salary cap, which has put them in position to make a calculated play for the now former NSW and Australian back.

Wighton will get more money elsewhere but his close friend Mitchell rejected more lucrative deals to make himself a Rabbitoh when he split with the Roosters at the end of 2019.

The Tigers offered Mitchell a four year deal worth more than a million dollars a year. Instead he opted to take up a one-year-deal with an option for a second year worth just more than half of the Tigers offer.

South Sydney want Wighton to do the same. They have a secret weapon up their sleeve as well – some smart salary cap strategizing that has given them the ammunition to launch a bid for Wighton.

Eye-brows were raised by South Sydney’s pursuit of Wighton but it can be revealed the Rabbitohs have cap space to move the move.

A host of South Sydney players including Damien Cook, Jai Arrow, Tom Burgess and Liam Knight do not have ratchet clauses in their existing contracts because they were signed before the pandemic. It meant when the cap came in higher than anyone expected – an initial proposal to pay match payments, which was backed by some clubs and the player union, was scrapped and the money was rolled directly into the 2023 cap – their pay packets didn‘t move.

It is understood Souths budgeted for the cap in 2024 to be about $10.5 million. It came in closer to $11.5 million. Suddenly, Souths had significant salary cap breathing space.

South Sydney were also the only club not to add a player from outside the club into their top 30 this year. However they lost Mark Nicholls (Dolphins), Kodi Nikorima (Dolphins), Jaxson Paulo (Roosters), Josh Mansour (released).

Heading into 2022 they also lost representative stars Adam Reynolds (Brisbane), Jaydn Su’A (Dragons), Dane Gagai (Knights) and Benji Marshall (retirement) while only adding minimum wage players Isaiah Taas, Michael Chee Kam and Canberra journeyman Siliva Havili.

That resulted in about $3 million worth of cap savings. It is also understood the Rabbitohs have space on their salary cap this year, which they will have to use to forward pay players and create extra savings in future years.

It is believed that the Rabbitohs have no million dollar players this season. They have a host of regular first graders – Daniel Suluka-Fifita, Isaiah Taas, Izaac Thompson, Jed Cartwright, Michael Chee Kam and Shaq Mitchell who were unwanted by their previous Clubs. These players have given the Rabbitohs terrific value for money and allowed them to balance their books.

Much has been made about the club’s decision to let premiership winning halfback Adam Reynolds go before the start of last year. That decision was two-fold.

South Sydney held off committing to a long-term deal until they had some clarity surrounding the salary cap. Had Reynolds opted to take up the short-term offer he could still be a Rabbitoh.

That would have made the Wighton play impossible. Instead, Souths let Reynolds leave and replaced him with Lachlan Ilias, who is on far less than what Reynolds would have earned.

Wighton will play centre at South Sydney at least in his first two seasons.

The Rabbitohs are wary on how much they will spend on Wighton. They know whatever they stump up will reflect on what they need to offer Campbell Graham to keep him at the club before his deal expires at the end of next year.

The Rabbitohs have Graham, Keaon Koloamatangi, Tevita Tatola and Jai Arrow off-contract at the end of next season and have made the quartet a priority. They won’t up their offer to Wighton in fear of losing those players.

Graham and Koloamatangi could command about $750,000 on the open market while Tatola is also in line for a pay bump. Arrow‘s current $700,000 deal remains about market value.

The Rabbitohs are likely to lose Liam Knight at season’s end, while Wighton’s arrival could spell the end for Blake Taafe. They are also locked in talks about a long-term deal for Hame Sele.

So if they don’t land Wighton expect them to again be patient before pursuing another star quality player to boost their premiership chances.

Source:

That's such a weird puff piece for the Rabbits.

Only team to not recruit outside their top 30 is meaningless, some teams recruited two or so minimum wage players and busted arse vets (like the Cowboys)

The then list Mark Nicholls (Dolphins), Kodi Nikorima (Dolphins), Jaxson Paulo (Roosters), Josh Mansour (released) as some sort of high priced group, that would all be on millions.

But my favourite is when the mention they let representative star (their words not mine) 38 year old Benji Marshall retire, as if this saved $1M or something.

I do like that they are boasting that they are underpaying a whole group of players in the current team, by not re-negotiating ratchet clauses into their contracts.

Munky

Coach
I think we all forget that the simple one is a sophisticated investor (no really look it up) and now has access to all the hidden financial products available to the Packers and Sydney high flyers.

Exsilium

Coach

How do you think Jack convinced his manager that he is taking say $1.1M less and you will lose your percentage management fee of this?

Couldn't see a manager anywhere not pushing for him to stay at Raiders, unless the manager believes the BS as well.

His manager is a bloke by the name of Matt Rose. Never heard of him and don’t know how long he’s been with JW but I’d imagine there’s the commission on his deal and future ventures.

At the end of the day, if the player wants to sign for less, I can’t see how they’d be in a position to argue.

also, JW is an established player. I’m sure the discussion would be different if it was a younger , lesser known player who may only get one good contract poor

black cat

Juniors
Expect to see jack line up for Walgett at the next knockout for the rose boys. Gotta be worth 100k for the weekends work

SLRBRONCOS

Referee

Bobby be like:
Screenshot 2023-04-27 at 3.21.09 pm.png

His manager is a bloke by the name of Matt Rose. Never heard of him and don’t know how long he’s been with JW but I’d imagine there’s the commission on his deal and future ventures.

At the end of the day, if the player wants to sign for less, I can’t see how they’d be in a position to argue.

also, JW is an established player. I’m sure the discussion would be different if it was a younger , lesser known player who may only get one good contract poor

Matt Rose is Latrell Mitchell's manager. He's basically the bloke that delivered Latrell to Souths.

Someguy

First Grade
That resulted in about $3 million worth of cap savings. It is also understood the Rabbitohs have space on their salary cap this year, which they will have to use to forward pay players and create extra savings in future years.

This all sounds a bit dodgy forward paying and back ending for a medical retirement.

JamesRustle

First Grade
So it seems that Souths and Roosters fans are convinced players take less to play for their clubs.

As with all sports, this sort of things are a risk (salary cap busting or not).

Wighton could very well turn out to be dud, and f**k Souths cap for years to come. So far Cheese has provided pretty limited returns for his fat paycheque also, but its still to early to call him a bust.
I'm convinced players give less to play for my club.

Perth Red

Post Whore
This all sounds a bit dodgy forward paying and back ending for a medical retirement.
Some clubs do 'surprisingly' have a number of top ex players still on the paylist post playing lol
It amazes me these players, like Cronk, that join a club on lower saalries for last couple of years of career and then by chance find themselves suitable for a post playing career at said club in a high wage for a few years. Its almost like they took less to play knowing they were getting a cushy job afterwards?
Maybe thats where Raiders went wrong? Should have offered Jacky boy a $300k a year half back consultant coach post playing?

Apey

Staff member

Pretty simple, if the manager wasn't happy with it, Jack could find a new one. Then that manager's percent would be 0.

Woody90

Juniors
As Mark Geyer said on Triple M, the Raiders need to work their junior development better and try and emulate what the Panthers have done. I mean they have a largish catchment area and need to work it. Reason clubs like mine go looking to recruit outside is that we have the smallest junior recruitment catchment out of all NRL clubs. Yes you can't recruit all players from outside, but with better junior development, it means you can be far more targetted in whom you chase.

There is the issue though of clubs like the Raiders investing a lot into junior development just to have them sign with another club anyway as they don’t want to stay in Canberra.

wazdog

Juniors
I’m surprised Paul “One Game” Kent didn’t call for a special edition of NRL 360 tonight to discuss this.

Colk

First Grade
Can’t wait for Blake Taafe. Seriously what’s the point?

They do want another Brisbane side. Suggest we move the Raiders up there,

Latest posts