What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The 'Joey affair' - badly handled by Finch

Meanie

Juniors
skeepe said:
You lost me right there. You obviously have not watched a single Raiders game if you think that he abuses referees. He USED to complain to them, but as he is not the captain this year the referees haven't heard a peep out of them you idiot.

Make no mistake, the two single worst abusers in our game today are Andrew Johns and Danny Buderus, with an honorable mention to Anthony Quinn. Gee, I wonder where they got it.

Have a good hard look at yourself and THINK before you post.

Why are Raiders fans on this forum so overwhelmingly touchy?

Azkatro

First Grade
My question is how long is it going to be before Finch gets booted to make way for Hollywood?

strewth_mate

Bench
Make no mistake, the two single worst abusers in our game today are Andrew Johns and Danny Buderus, with an honorable mention to Anthony Quinn.

Trying to avoid bias and all, but while Buderus follows the ref around yapping at his heels after every decision, I'm not sure he flat out abuses the ref any more than Woolford. Either way, if Buderus did come out and scream obscenities at the ref you wouldn't think he'd be let off quite like Johns.

skeepe

Immortal
strewth_mate said:
Trying to avoid bias and all, but while Buderus follows the ref around yapping at his heels after every decision, I'm not sure he flat out abuses the ref any more than Woolford. Either way, if Buderus did come out and scream obscenities at the ref you wouldn't think he'd be let off quite like Johns.

Hey if you were talking a year or two ago, then you wouldn't have any arguments from me. But this year, Woolford hasn't said one word to an official. It's been quite refreshing actually. When he was the captain, then he had every right, but he never abused the ref. Buderus is NOT the captain and has no right talking to the referee.

Boxer

Juniors
You all seem to have forgotten the Biggest little mouth around.
One G TOOVEY.
He got away with abuse for years.

t-ba

Post Whore
Boxer said:
You all seem to have forgotten the Biggest little mouth around.
One G TOOVEY.
He got away with abuse for years.

He got his fair share of sin binnings and Hollywood sent him off against the Bronx in 1998 actually...and he never called an official a 'F****** C***' or a 'F****** Mediterranean Descendant'...

Prodigiousman

Juniors
T-ba.... you can categorically say he never used those words?

Or just you never heard him say it on tele or at the game (which would've been a little hard to hear from the crowd)

you just can't claim that mate. true or not.

t-ba

Post Whore
Prodigiousman said:
T-ba.... you can categorically say he never used those words?

Or just you never heard him say it on tele or at the game (which would've been a little hard to hear from the crowd)

you just can't claim that mate. true or not.

Toovey badgered the ref...he wasn't one to personally abuse them in the fashion that Johns abused Matt Ceccin. Why aren't you having a crack at the initial poster who made the claim?

Winston Smith

Juniors
Rexxy said:
Apparently the last bit is so sensitive the entire media is covering it up....

Thank God for Roy Masters.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/what-the-tribunal-did-not-see/2006/08/16/1155407885883.html

Good article that by Masters. I'm not surprised by the lack of attention to this in the league media. Most of them have been too busy sucking Andrew Johns off to look hard at what he actually did. It seems that the F'n'C that was on TV was only the lesser part of his misdeeds. I thought 2 weeks was about right for that, but if what Masters reports did happen as described, I reckon a minimum 4 weeks was appropriate. Lashing out in a heated moment is one thing, a tirade of abuse for several minutes is much less excusable. I reckon the judiciary should demand to see the additional footage and lay new charges if justified.

Iafeta

Referee
roopy said:
In the 'Joey affair' I think every aspect was handled badly.

The first mistake was allowing players to get as disrespectful of officials as they have become. Players from most clubs are guilty - the worst being Woodfood from Canberra, but Johns, Buderus and Ben Kennedy are just a few who are dreadful as well.

The second mistake - not doing something about it up to two years ago.

The third mistake - choosing a very bad time to finally take action, and the wrong 'tall poppy' to make the point.

The fourth mistake - losing the case - so players are still not getting a clear message to be more respectful - and it is very hard now to see how the message can be given.

The guy who has handled this situation so badly - Maitland boy Robert Finch.

We need a new boss of refs - Bill Harrogan springs to mind as a guy who would take appropriate action at an appropriate time (nip the problem in the bud with decisive action.)

Finch has let the problem develop - and then tried to kill a cockroach infestation with a flame thrower - and burnt the bloody house down.

Can't disagree with a lot of that.

If this had have happened 10-15 years ago when play was a lot more 'innocent' in some regards, there'd barely be a whisper of defence for Joey. "Throw the book at him" "Order him off" would have been sung out mercilessly.

However, now every second week someone's cussing some poor referee out. Be it a fan, an over zealous coach, a player.

I think some of the Captain Cranky's of the past five years should have been marched for 10 in the bin in a blitz five years ago when the heat started to get too much for them. Every now and then when the situation started burning again, back to the sin bin blitz. And so forth until players all knew their roles. Continued offendors, contrary conduct charges.

I agree with a lot of what you've said.

Iafeta

Referee
roopy said:
That was the most insincere 'apology' in history. Everyone came out of this with egg all over their faces.

Definitely.

It's as if his "Ceccin should have to apologise to me and I won't be apologising... I'm a passionate man" editorial in the main Sunday rag was forgotten. Surely that should have been some sort of determining factor. Apologising was almost hypocritical and laughable really.

melon....

Coach
roopy said:
In the 'Joey affair' I think every aspect was handled badly.

The first mistake was allowing players to get as disrespectful of officials as they have become. Players from most clubs are guilty - the worst being Woodfood from Canberra, but Johns, Buderus and Ben Kennedy are just a few who are dreadful as well.

The second mistake - not doing something about it up to two years ago.

The third mistake - choosing a very bad time to finally take action, and the wrong 'tall poppy' to make the point.

The fourth mistake - losing the case - so players are still not getting a clear message to be more respectful - and it is very hard now to see how the message can be given.

The guy who has handled this situation so badly - Maitland boy Robert Finch.

We need a new boss of refs - Bill Harrogan springs to mind as a guy who would take appropriate action at an appropriate time (nip the problem in the bud with decisive action.)

Finch has let the problem develop - and then tried to kill a cockroach infestation with a flame thrower - and burnt the bloody house down.
The Joey affair...once again, badly handled by Joey the moron.

This prick has to learn he and only he is responsible for his actions. Arsewipe.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Simon Woolford has never been an abuser, for a long long time he was a serial whinger, but he always showed a certain level of respect to referees

saying he is even as bad, let alone worse then johns or buderus when it comes to ref abuse is ludicrous

Misanthrope

Staff member
I'm not going to register my opinion on Joey's actions or the verdict here, I just felt like weighing in with regards to Robert Finch.

There's no debating that the standard of refereeing has declined over the past few years. Some of this can be put down to the departure of Bill Harrigan and the somewhat failed experiment with Russel Smith. But I think Finch deserves more 'credit' than he's receiving. Hollywood has the experience to do the job, Finch was just a SL patsy who needed a job and got a helping hand.

It's about time he was shown the door. This season's refereeing has been piss poor across the board.

saying he is even as bad, let alone worse then johns or buderus when it comes to ref abuse is ludicrous

Finally, an unbiased opinion :roll:

innsaneink

Referee
While the referees and their bosses need to pull their sox up ( its OK to make mistakes guys, just dont try to justify them)....the Newcastle Knights RLFC as a whole is to blame here.
For far too long theyve let Johns run the show, theyve never pulled him into line when hes need it, and as such he now believes he really is bigger than the game.
To allow him to ditch that points scoring award presso at Parra, well most clubs wouldve ordered the player back out there...as theyre representing the club, but Johns runs the show in Newcastle it seems...no one tells him what to do.
And thats the problem.

Latest posts