What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Juniors thread

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Dear oh dear

You all talk these kids up but jeez

Just like last year (when they were the most talented team by a mile) they are gutless and brainless.

Scorpio30

Bench
Juniors looking good to beat the Storm- Johnston has been phenomenal

:lol: You can write a script to the Warriors Under 20's. I basically describing to my wife the way the game would pan out before it was happening.

At 44-26 or what ever it was instead of playing conservative controlling football it was.
Stupid off load goes to ground, leads to Storm try. An necessary aggressive hit up that results in a knock on, leads to a Storm try. Forward pass, leads to a Storm try.
The Junior Warriors are all raw strength and speed...No footballing brains.

Iafeta

Referee
Surely they'll be lodging a protest, lose by 2 and Melbourne clearly missed a goal that was awarded. Unbelievable decision by the touch judges.

Iafeta

Referee
You'd think they have to, particularly if Souths win. Massive consequential difference between between 6th on 32 points and being 7th on 31 points. Bottom two losers are gone in week one, 6th has a much better chance of survival than 7th obviously. I can't begin to imagine how on earth the touchies could get that so horribly wrong. I wonder whether they actually watched it or just assumed it'd be good.

Rich102

Staff member
Surely they'll be lodging a protest, lose by 2 and Melbourne clearly missed a goal that was awarded. Unbelievable decision by the touch judges.

Can't appeal. The referee is the sole judge of fact, and on kicks he is bound by the touchies decision (if unanimous).
Besides a dodgy decision went against the Storm earlier when the winger was ruled to have stepped into touch.
Of greater worry would be the injuries to the Warriors. Particulary to Peter Cook, had he been on the field I could see a different final score.

Iafeta

Referee
Jason Cook.

I thought they put in place an appeals procedure following a kick back in the mid 90s where Rod Wishart missed from out in front, got the goal, and Illawarra won 4-2.

Rich102

Staff member
Yeah, thanks mate. Jason Cook. He didn't look good. And the commentators were going on about his back when clearly he took a knock to the head. And had the neck brace to prove it.

You may be right about the appeal thing. They may have altered the rules for televised games. But it would open a can of worms.

Iafeta

Referee
I guess it would, I certainly think forward passes and things in general play you can't change a table for, but this is pretty black and white. Its over or its not. Its realistically put the Warriors into a sudden death situation, no real chance I guess from 6th anyway but more of a chance than from 7th.

Rovelli

Bench
Could've finished 5th with a win/Broncos loss. Disappointing loss to blow it like that.

Anyway, looks like we'll be playing the Dragons.

LeagueNut

First Grade
Here's a banner for anyone that wants it - thanks to Timmah.

finals09tc-nzw.jpg

P.S - We're playing the Dragons on Sunday afternoon at WIN Jubilee ... and it looks like Sky are showing it LIVE from 3:30pm! \\\\:D/

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Just read that the Warriors don't want Bristow and the Cowboys are looking at signing him. Anyone confirm that ? Crazy if true

Skinner

Coach
Just read that the Warriors don't want Bristow and the Cowboys are looking at signing him. Anyone confirm that ? Crazy if true

I believe it's true but there doesn't appear to be a credible source anywhere.

I don't know if he will make a 1st grader. There's a lot of rough edges on him.

Iafeta

Referee
I agree. There's a lot of things he gets away with in NYC that I don't think would cut it in first grade. He's a power guy but doesn't seem overly big and I don't think it would work against genuinely strong blokes. Bit slow off the mark too, good pace generally but a bit slow getting to top speed. I must say I really like John Palavi, he seems to have really nice balance. I think Likiliki, Elijah Niko, Thomas Ah Van, Palavi, Seluini and Tupou all have time on their side to make something of themselves, and I also think Jason Cook would have been an improvement on McKinnon on first grade. He too is damn solid but at least he runs back at full tilt.

Iafeta

Referee
I haven't heard a solitary comment from Beasley Ave about the missed goal. Looks like a typical Warriors action this year, bend over and take it nice and good. Fair dinkum, where was their nuts to have a proper say about this?

NZ Warrior

First Grade
I haven't heard a solitary comment from Beasley Ave about the missed goal. Looks like a typical Warriors action this year, bend over and take it nice and good. Fair dinkum, where was their nuts to have a proper say about this?

In all reality, what can they do??? How many times do we see tries that were given, that shouldn't have been. It is exactly the same for goals, only they are more "cut and dried". That touchie should not be officiating any games again this year. Terrible call.

But the Warriors shouldn't have blown it like they did, simple as that. It was a fantastic game to watch though and a true credit to the NYC.

I think this loss is a good thing though. You are not a true champion team, unless you can win away from home too. This will really test the young Warriors, to truly see if they have what it takes to beat the Dragons, away from home in the finals.

I cannot wait for Sunday afternoon, the Junior Warriors have been a shining light in a gloomy and tragic 2009. All the best to them, those smashing young men.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

I keep hearing that Bristow has off-field issues that the Warriors are not interested in continuing to deal with. This is only hearsay, I would like to point out, but nonetheless.