What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Las Vegas Thread

GongPanther

Referee
LA is one of the biggest shitholes in the developed world. Ghastly, soulless city filled with lame desperate for attention gimps. Miami is putrid.

New Orleans, Nashville, NYC, Boston, Milwaukee, Chicago, Seattle, and DC were fun.

EDIT: In mY OpiNiOn
LA situation is absolutely dire as is NY.

GongPanther

Referee
What’s dire about NY? Amazing city, ridiculous amount of stuff to see and do, easy to get around and actually really safe by US standards, at least in Manhattan and East Brooklyn where 95% of the attractions are.
Of course not all of the city, but there is still a problem with street bashings, shop robbing, murder rate is much higher that it was a year ago, most people fear going on the subway at any time.

If your daylight touring, its OK, but at night, choose your location. But one would be suggested which areas to avoid by the hotel's concierge.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Of course not all of the city, but there is still a problem with street bashings, shop robbing, murder rate is much higher that it was a year ago, most people fear going on the subway at any time.

If your daylight touring, its OK, but at night, choose your location. But one would be suggested which areas to avoid by the hotel's concierge.
Last time I was there was January last year- was fine then. Things might have got a bit worse but can’t imagine it’s suddenly turned into a massive horror show.

GongPanther

Referee
Last time I was there was January last year- was fine then. Things might have got a bit worse but can’t imagine it’s suddenly turned into a massive horror show.
I wouldn't waste my time there. I prefer the Southern states such as the Carolinas (Myrtle Beach and Charleston) and Atlanta.

abc

Juniors
As a 16 year resident of NYC, the above hyperbole sounds like tabloid sensationalism.

In April 2023, NYC had it first daily 4M+ subway ridership day again since March 2020 pre pandemic.

NYC hotel occupancy is back to 90% of pre-pandemic. Few major cities in world are close to that.

If you want to see NYC crime statistics see here; https://www.nyc.gov/assets/nypd/downloads/pdf/crime_statistics/cs-en-us-city.pdf

- in short NYC muder rate is 19% down on 2yrs ago with COVID mini spike, 26% down on 13 yrs ago and 80% down on 30 yrs ago.
- NYC has half of the violent crime rate as Atlanta and 1/3 rate of property crime; https://www.bestplaces.net/crime/?city1=53651000&city2=51304000
- NYC has 1/3 of the violent crime rate as Myrtle Beach and 1/4 rate of property crime; https://www.bestplaces.net/crime/?city1=53651000&city2=54549075

So be careful who your sources are and enjoy your trip!

(I could dispute some of the LA factual (not subjective) falsehoods as well)

10$ Ferret

Staff member
I love NYC, but last year it just had a different feel. A bit dirtier and more pathetic, probably because every street corner in Manhattan smelled like really cheap dope.

On the LV game, it seems they are trying hard to sell it here, shouldn't they be pushing it over there, I hope they are

Perth Red

Post Whore
I love NYC, but last year it just had a different feel. A bit dirtier and more pathetic, probably because every street corner in Manhattan smelled like really cheap dope.

On the LV game, it seems they are trying hard to sell it here, shouldn't they be pushing it over there, I hope they are
They’ll sell tickets here and give them away over there

Wb1234

Immortal

Loads of poms have bought tickets too

gerg

Juniors

Taxis are very reasonably priced over there, not like in Australia where it's $25 to from one suburbto the next. It's like any big city, be aware of what is happening around you, don't take stupid risks and if you're drunk get a cab as you're an easy target for opportunists.

I just LOL'd when I read the headline -

I mean, seriously, the NRL takes 2 games out of Australia, one of which might have been played in Brisbane anyways, and is being played a week before the NRL regular season normally starts gives the AFL an "open door"? Seriously, they going to bring these "marquee matchups" to start on 2 March 2024 are they? :rolleyes:

Talk about desperation for headlines.

Wb1234

Immortal

I mean, seriously, the NRL takes 2 games out of Australia, one of which might have been played in Brisbane anyways, and is being played a week before the NRL regular season normally starts gives the AFL an "open door"? Seriously, they going to bring these "marquee matchups" to start on 2 March 2024 are they? :rolleyes:

Nrl > Vegas
Afl > Chinese busses got lost

JokerEel

Coach

Trying to get headlines by using the NRL just like how RU need to use the NRL to get in the news..

BuffaloRules

Coach

They should wait until the AFL announces their big GWS v Collingwood game on the Saturday night before the Vegas game, and then play Parra v Penrith in Sydney at the same time…

Valheru

Coach

Yeah weird article all round, they don't actually announce anything themselves

Vee

First Grade

My reaction exactly, but TBF, it's more about clickbait than Midget quotes.

Steel Saints

Juniors

If they start their season early because the NRL is away at Las Vegas, then it is a reactive step from them. And are too busy looking at what the NRL is up to.