What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Las Vegas Thread

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Hi.. Some thoughts on the game.

- Start of game the wind was horrendous, we had to enter from the MGM west VIP which was the side the wind was coming from and we barely made it. It was a bummer cos the tailgate got cancelled I'm pretty sure this would have affected the crowd somewhat.
- Speaking to Raiders execs who visited the box seems all the corporate seating was sold out. Find it hard to believe cos on the east stand looked like a few box's were empty they may have had people out the back dho. All the corporate boxes on west side were occupied, including all the VIP lux seats in front of our box. Very good sign.
- The actually ran out of Mexican beer (name escapes me) and exec admitted that they had underestimated the Aussies will not happen next year.
- We had 2 Raiders (NFL) season ticket holders with us. They absolutely loved it and being NFL fans they really appreciated the hits and speed. Think there could be potentially lot of growth with the hardcore NFL fans as seasons don't lap. These guys will definitely be back.
- Second game felt a little flat, maybe cos Souths lost the first and few of the Souths fans had left.
- Overall was an insane experience, the stadium, sounds, lighting etc.. Everyone was having a ball, the yanks do sports entertainment on another level. We have a lot to learn.

If any mods can help me, I got some pictures/videos of the stadium, box and fan fest that I would like to share. I can't seem to msg anyone or like anyone's posts and don't have the link to add attachments. Anytime I click on an image someone has posted get the.. Opps you are unable... etc.. That would be great, thank you.

Saw the Micheal Jackson One show last night wow.. Last 2 days in Vegas doing a little shopping for family and got the Canyon heli tour in afternoon. Been great :)
Your permissions all seem OK.
1. Check that you don't have any ad blockers running on any of your devices where you log into LU (not just one, all devices). It may take a day to rectify after you've done this.
2. White list / allow list or make LU and the forums trusted sites in your security settings.
3. If that doesn't work, email screen shots, browser details, operating system and device to us. Basically as much info as possible. Email: forums.leagueunlimited.com

MugaB

Coach
DosX is the big LA/LV beer from memory (It was all they had at the Rose Ball stadium in Pasadena)

The second game was just shit quality. The double header was a great idea for this reason exactly; if one game is shit, we still have the other
Yeah manly Vs souths was the much better game, the broncos looked shabby, and roosters were aimless, wonder if Brisbane has got the annual GF hangover set in yet

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
The big question is: what happens now?

The LV double header was great but I feel the follow up work is the real hard grind and most important aspect of getting the US eyes on screen that taking games to LV was all about.

I'm aware that games will be televised or streamed into the US but is there more?

The venture will come nothing more than a pilgrimage to Vegas for Australian fans if the NRL sits on its backside now. Get the game's history, good news stories out there.

San Francisco 49ers owner Al Guido interested in buying an NRL team after Las Vegas dream run​

In a country where multi-sport ownership is a big deal, the owner of the San Francisco 49ers is looking to make another investment in what could be a game changer for the NRL.

Franciscos 49ers, the powerhouse NFL franchise that only weeks ago was beaten in the Super Bowl by the Kansas City Chiefs.
Under his leadership, the 49ers organisation has expanded their sporting tentacles, buying a share in English football powerhouse Leeds. Next stop could be the NRL.

Guido, who addressed ARL commissioners and club bosses at a conference in Las Vegas last week, has watched closely this week as rugby league has taken America by storm and says the 49ers may explore the opportunity to buy a stake or control of an NRL club.
He believes cashed-up private equity firms may do the same as they look to take advantage of the NRL’s financial golden age by grabbing a slice of the sport.

"At the Niners, we like the thought of multi-sport ownership,” said Guido, who is also chair and chief executive of sports consulting firm Elevate.
“It is not a new concept. We will look at anything that has a passionate fan base because to us it starts with that.
“If people are coming through the gates and supporting it, the reality is you have a pretty good commercial opportunity.
“That is the neat thing about Elevate – I get to wear two hats. We see a lot of deal flow. We represent a lot of people who buy some of these clubs.
“To us Leeds fit the persona. It was a team that has historical context, it had won championships, it fell on tough teams, it was a one team town, massive support even in the championship. It has worked out so far.
“If that worked in rugby (league) for the right club, would we take a look? Absolutely.”

BUYING IN
Guido has no doubt rugby league and their flourishing clubs are in the sights of private equity firms thanks to soaring NRL revenues – head office raked in more than $700 million last year.
With the game’s central administration in record shape, the clubs are enjoying the largesse in the form of record grants. Where once clubs lived on the breadline, they are now regularly returning multimillion dollar profits.
They are also now on the radar of American
investors thanks in large part to their season-opening double header in Las Vegas at the weekend.

“I don’t have any data behind this outside of saying if you look at what has happened in call it European football, and the penetration of US buyer into that market, it is hard not to go back and correlate it to those games were being broadcast in America and those teams were coming here at rapid rates,” Guido said.
“American investors were seeing in their mind undervalued assets with passionate fan bases. There are discussion that are happening – we all see the same reports – with private equity coming into these leagues.
“This is not going to stop. That is why I think it is not just the NRL. It is the power of live sports and if you are looking at content, sports is the way to go.”
THE NRL’S AMERICAN STRATEGY
Guido played a pivotal role in the 49ers and NFL adopting a global strategy of expansion by playing games in England, Mexico and Germany.
Just as the NFL has made inroads on the world stage by taking games that matter to other countries, Guido has backed the NRL’s plans to do likewise.
“I think it is very ambitious,” Guido said.
“But I think it is an interesting move. I think it follows a lot of what the NFL went though when they thought about having an international strategy.
“A couple of things I think they are doing really well – having games that matter. I think kicking off the season in Las Vegas, the entertainment capital of the US, on the heels of playing the Super Bowl here is really smart.”

Guido believes the NRL can make its mark in America.
“I do think the strategy is sound,” he said.
“I think they are on to something. But I will tell them and tell all the fans, it is going to take time.
“The NFL, they call it the biggest league in the world, it took a long time for our international strategy to really pay off in those markets.”
IF YOU BUILD IT, THEY WILL COME
The 49ers’ home ground at Levi Stadium was built a decade ago for the princely sum of $US1.3 billion.
According to Guido, it is already out of date. Remarkably, the 49ers will spend $US300 million on the stadium in coming years to bring it up to speed.
The NFL is locked in an arm’s race when it comes to stadia and Guido insists that the 49ers can’t be left behind.
The NRL, meanwhile, is fighting an ongoing battle to convince the NSW government to invest in their stadia. Allianz Stadium has been a blessing but is underused by NRL clubs.
Penrith is about to get a new stadium in the golden west but Accor Stadium is an eyesore and suburban grounds are withering on the vine.
“I do think there is this whole field of dreams concept where if you build it, they will come,” Guido said.

“If you keep your stadium infrastructure top off the line, first class, people will pay top dollar for those and continue to support.
“I do think it helps brings tourism to a market …. Because stadiums are now what’s people would have thought of theatres in the past.
“People that are fans of rugby league, whether they live in America or across the globe, they will embark on visit a new stadium that is built.
“That’s why you all came here. There is intrigue in seeing the new stadium at Allegiant. There is intrigue in the game but there is intrigue use in the stadium.”
THE NRL’S AMERICAN FUTURE
The NRL will return to Las Vegas next year as part of a five-year commitment to open the season in America.
Beyond that, it is game on. Having watched the game flourish over the past week on foreign shores, Guido believes is it is only a matter of time before other cities start to woo the NRL.
In fact, Guido hasn’t ruled out the 49ers making a play to bring the double header to Levi Stadium.

“I wasn’t involved in any of the negotiations to come here,” Guido said.
“I think a proper strategy going forward – and again this is not a new idea – is leveraging US markets and figuring which ones are the best to go to and will support this league.

“I do think Vegas is the right first step given size of market and the strategy around gambling. As they get past next year, of course if I were counselling the commissioner I would say look around.
“There are a lot of great markets in America and there might be markets in America that have more penetration of young folks playing the sport itself, people who are passionate about it.
“But for the first two years I do think this was the proper strategy and proper market. We might wake up next year and this is sold out within 15 minute of putting it on sale because this is the market everyone wants to come to. But if I was them, I would leverage it as much as possible.”

Canard

Immortal
The big question is: what happens now?

The LV double header was great but I feel the follow up work is the real hard grind and most important aspect of getting the US eyes on screen that taking games to LV was all about.

I'm aware that games will be televised or streamed into the US but is there more?

The venture will come nothing more than a pilgrimage to Vegas for Australian fans if the NRL sits on its backside now. Get the game's history, good news stories out there.
I suspect it might be out of the Australian news cycle once the footy starts on Thursday, and like everything in the modern world, out of the social media/US news cycle shortly thereafter.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
SEN Sports Radio in Melbourne this morning.

Because they are playing 3 T20 World Cup games in the states the AFL is investigating playing games there in 2025.

f**king LOL !

AFL TO CONSIDER TEAMING UP WITH CRICKET TO TAKE AUSSIE RULES TO THE USA​

THE AFL will weigh up partnering with cricket in a bid to take the game back to the United States.

As the NRL wins plaudits for its season-opening double-header in Las Vegas, the AFL have been prompted to explore another foray into the country.

This year’s ICC men’s T20 World Cup, to be held in the United States and the Caribbean in June, has provided the league with a level of venue suitability it has long lacked when it comes to playing games in the US.

The ICC has shortlisted three oval venues in the US for the mid-year tournament, with Miami, New York and Dallas expected to host matches. In January the cricket body unveiled a modular design proposal for the Nassau County International Cricket Stadium in Long Island, New York.

AFL chief executive Andrew Dillon told the AFL Record in an interview to be published in full for the Round 1 edition, that the league would monitor the Cricket World Cup and the venues it establishes in the US.

“I'd be interested in what they're doing there,” Dillon said.

“I think there's opportunities for the AFL in the United States at the right time, and there's also other opportunities internationally.”

The AFL hasn’t played a game in America since a 2006 pre-season practice match between North Melbourne and Sydney at UCLA.

Over the years there have been 15-a-side games at Honolulu Stadium and Portland’s Civic Stadium, while Geelong, Collingwood, Essendon and Hawthorn have played in Miami.

GWS has made no secret of its desire to be the first club to play for premiership points in the USA.

Iamback

Coach

San Francisco 49ers owner Al Guido interested in buying an NRL team after Las Vegas dream run​

In a country where multi-sport ownership is a big deal, the owner of the San Francisco 49ers is looking to make another investment in what could be a game changer for the NRL.

Franciscos 49ers, the powerhouse NFL franchise that only weeks ago was beaten in the Super Bowl by the Kansas City Chiefs.
Under his leadership, the 49ers organisation has expanded their sporting tentacles, buying a share in English football powerhouse Leeds. Next stop could be the NRL.

Guido, who addressed ARL commissioners and club bosses at a conference in Las Vegas last week, has watched closely this week as rugby league has taken America by storm and says the 49ers may explore the opportunity to buy a stake or control of an NRL club.
He believes cashed-up private equity firms may do the same as they look to take advantage of the NRL’s financial golden age by grabbing a slice of the sport.

"At the Niners, we like the thought of multi-sport ownership,” said Guido, who is also chair and chief executive of sports consulting firm Elevate.
“It is not a new concept. We will look at anything that has a passionate fan base because to us it starts with that.
“If people are coming through the gates and supporting it, the reality is you have a pretty good commercial opportunity.
“That is the neat thing about Elevate – I get to wear two hats. We see a lot of deal flow. We represent a lot of people who buy some of these clubs.
“To us Leeds fit the persona. It was a team that has historical context, it had won championships, it fell on tough teams, it was a one team town, massive support even in the championship. It has worked out so far.
“If that worked in rugby (league) for the right club, would we take a look? Absolutely.”

BUYING IN
Guido has no doubt rugby league and their flourishing clubs are in the sights of private equity firms thanks to soaring NRL revenues – head office raked in more than $700 million last year.
With the game’s central administration in record shape, the clubs are enjoying the largesse in the form of record grants. Where once clubs lived on the breadline, they are now regularly returning multimillion dollar profits.
investors thanks in large part to their season-opening double header in Las Vegas at the weekend.

“I don’t have any data behind this outside of saying if you look at what has happened in call it European football, and the penetration of US buyer into that market, it is hard not to go back and correlate it to those games were being broadcast in America and those teams were coming here at rapid rates,” Guido said.
“American investors were seeing in their mind undervalued assets with passionate fan bases. There are discussion that are happening – we all see the same reports – with private equity coming into these leagues.
“This is not going to stop. That is why I think it is not just the NRL. It is the power of live sports and if you are looking at content, sports is the way to go.”
Guido played a pivotal role in the 49ers and NFL adopting a global strategy of expansion by playing games in England, Mexico and Germany.
Just as the NFL has made inroads on the world stage by taking games that matter to other countries, Guido has backed the NRL’s plans to do likewise.
“But I think it is an interesting move. I think it follows a lot of what the NFL went though when they thought about having an international strategy.
“A couple of things I think they are doing really well – having games that matter. I think kicking off the season in Las Vegas, the entertainment capital of the US, on the heels of playing the Super Bowl here is really smart.”

“I think they are on to something. But I will tell them and tell all the fans, it is going to take time.
“The NFL, they call it the biggest league in the world, it took a long time for our international strategy to really pay off in those markets.”
The 49ers’ home ground at Levi Stadium was built a decade ago for the princely sum of $US1.3 billion.
According to Guido, it is already out of date. Remarkably, the 49ers will spend $US300 million on the stadium in coming years to bring it up to speed.
The NFL is locked in an arm’s race when it comes to stadia and Guido insists that the 49ers can’t be left behind.
The NRL, meanwhile, is fighting an ongoing battle to convince the NSW government to invest in their stadia. Allianz Stadium has been a blessing but is underused by NRL clubs.
Penrith is about to get a new stadium in the golden west but Accor Stadium is an eyesore and suburban grounds are withering on the vine.
“I do think there is this whole field of dreams concept where if you build it, they will come,” Guido said.

“If you keep your stadium infrastructure top off the line, first class, people will pay top dollar for those and continue to support.
“I do think it helps brings tourism to a market …. Because stadiums are now what’s people would have thought of theatres in the past.
“People that are fans of rugby league, whether they live in America or across the globe, they will embark on visit a new stadium that is built.
“That’s why you all came here. There is intrigue in seeing the new stadium at Allegiant. There is intrigue in the game but there is intrigue use in the stadium.”
The NRL will return to Las Vegas next year as part of a five-year commitment to open the season in America.
Beyond that, it is game on. Having watched the game flourish over the past week on foreign shores, Guido believes is it is only a matter of time before other cities start to woo the NRL.
In fact, Guido hasn’t ruled out the 49ers making a play to bring the double header to Levi Stadium.

“I think a proper strategy going forward – and again this is not a new idea – is leveraging US markets and figuring which ones are the best to go to and will support this league.

“I do think Vegas is the right first step given size of market and the strategy around gambling. As they get past next year, of course if I were counselling the commissioner I would say look around.
“There are a lot of great markets in America and there might be markets in America that have more penetration of young folks playing the sport itself, people who are passionate about it.
“But for the first two years I do think this was the proper strategy and proper market. We might wake up next year and this is sold out within 15 minute of putting it on sale because this is the market everyone wants to come to. But if I was them, I would leverage it as much as possible.”

This is the sort of people the game needs to be a success

ash the bash

Juniors
Your permissions all seem OK.
1. Check that you don't have any ad blockers running on any of your devices where you log into LU (not just one, all devices). It may take a day to rectify after you've done this.
2. White list / allow list or make LU and the forums trusted sites in your security settings.
3. If that doesn't work, email screen shots, browser details, operating system and device to us. Basically as much info as possible. Email: forums.leagueunlimited.com
Ok thank you, will do.

Ash

Vlad59

Bench

THE AFL will weigh up partnering with cricket in a bid to take the game back to the United States.

As the NRL wins plaudits for its season-opening double-header in Las Vegas, the AFL have been prompted to explore another foray into the country.

This year’s ICC men’s T20 World Cup, to be held in the United States and the Caribbean in June, has provided the league with a level of venue suitability it has long lacked when it comes to playing games in the US.

The ICC has shortlisted three oval venues in the US for the mid-year tournament, with Miami, New York and Dallas expected to host matches. In January the cricket body unveiled a modular design proposal for the Nassau County International Cricket Stadium in Long Island, New York.

AFL chief executive Andrew Dillon told the AFL Record in an interview to be published in full for the Round 1 edition, that the league would monitor the Cricket World Cup and the venues it establishes in the US.

“I think there's opportunities for the AFL in the United States at the right time, and there's also other opportunities internationally.”

The AFL hasn’t played a game in America since a 2006 pre-season practice match between North Melbourne and Sydney at UCLA.

Over the years there have been 15-a-side games at Honolulu Stadium and Portland’s Civic Stadium, while Geelong, Collingwood, Essendon and Hawthorn have played in Miami.

GWS has made no secret of its desire to be the first club to play for premiership points in the USA.

The afl and cricket Australia have been working closely for years. They’ve been jointly applying for government grants and are thick as thieves. It’s no surprise Seven have both and the cricket commentary includes endless afl references.

MugaB

Coach

Hang off the coat tails these f**kers are...
Seriously who could bother sitting thru aerial ping pong, then watching boring ass cricket, atleast NRL has some similarities with NFL, al these idiots will do is ruin any aussie event going over there, why dont they just go to africa or try china again, whats the deal with copying PVLs idea, its just magic round all over again, (yes i get we copied it from ESL, but its the same sport, and that fine in my books, tide rises lifts all boats so to speak)
AFL is just pandering and blatenty jealous, wheres your dumb copy of state of origin concept, huh? FFS

soc123_au

Staff member

BUYING IN

Interesting what he says about stadiums, I wonder if he could call the NSW Premier and discuss. Not doing the paceway site at Penrith is a big missed opportunity.

MugaB

Coach
The afl and cricket Australia have been working closely for years. They’ve been jointly applying for government grants and are thick as thieves. It’s no surprise Seven had both and the cricket commentary includes endless afl references.
Yes wheres those two wonderful stadiums in the rebuild of the gabba and hobart? Bunch of utter Fucwitz

WaznTheGreat

Referee
AFL and cricket are a match made in heaven. AFL players get 1 point for missing, and Marnus Labuschagne struggles to score more than 1.

laughing-giggle.gif

beave

Coach
Next year I would do this.

Make it a double double header.

Friday local-

USA v Canada Test

World Club Challenge (NRL team gets a bye week for rd 1)

Saturday local-

Double header NRL