What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Latest in Coaching Musical Chairs - NRL Style...

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Rabbitohs welcome Bennett as head coach for 2019
South Sydney Rabbitohs | December 2 2018 6:42PM

The South Sydney Rabbitohs are delighted to announce that Wayne Bennett will join the Club as Head Coach for the 2019 season.

The Rabbitohs have also agreed to a request for a contract release for Anthony Seibold to join the Brisbane Broncos this coming season.

Coach Bennett had already signed a deal to join the Rabbitohs in 2020 on a two-year contract, which is now extended to a three-year agreement including Season 2019.

"I'm really pleased it's all resolved and that I can join this great Club with a free mind, knowing I did the right thing by the fans, staff and players," Bennett said.

"I'm really looking forward to being at South Sydney and working with the players, staff, Board and all of the Members.

"It's a wonderful Club, South Sydney, and I feel privileged to have the chance to coach this team."

Rabbitohs General Manager of Football, Shane Richardson, is very happy to have Bennett on board for the coming season.

"Wayne is ready to go for 2019 and we're ready for him to start his tenure with us," Mr Richardson said.

"Everyone is really excited about the season ahead and we're sure it will be a great year for our Members and supporters.

"We thank Anthony for his efforts over the past two years and we wish him, his wife Hollie and his three daughters Isabella, Ava and Sienna the best for the future."

https://leagueunlimited.com/news/32709-rabbitohs-welcome-bennett-as-head-coach-for-2019/

kbw

Bench
I don’t understand how Bennett is the bad guy. He seems to be the only bloke in the NRL willing to stick out a contract

I am with you except he was playing games . But he was sticking to what his deal albeit with $s motivation.
Seibold is a sook without integrity and blood on his hands. He is the one that has cost Brisbane the amount they have had to pay Bennett out because he is the one that wanted to break his contract.

Life's Good

Coach
Whats funny in all this is how the clubs sprout how professional they are as an 'organisation' one minute then next it its amateur hour with toys out of the pram & dirty laundry getting a good airing.

League in the off season is anything but boring.

Chimp

Bench
I am with you except he was playing games . But he was sticking to what his deal albeit with $s motivation.
Seibold is a sook without integrity and blood on his hands. He is the one that has cost Brisbane the amount they have had to pay Bennett out because he is the one that wanted to break his contract.
He's far from my cup of tea, but Wayne has played this really well....

The 2 priorities to him were being able to say he 'did right by the players, fans and members by not breaching his contract' and getting a pay out.
He had zero intention of actually being there in 2019, he knew it, the Broncos knew it and Souths knew it, but like he said 6 months ago, he wasn't going to make it easy for them - he was always going to make them sack him. He knew the position was untenable, but also knew the Broncos would act if he played the long game.
I doubt it will have harmed his relationship with South's, they'll have been in regular dialogue and know exactly what Wayne was doing.
He's played a blinder.

big hit!

Bench

Anyone who thought the change wouldn’t, or even shouldn’t, have happened for 2019 because there were existing contracts at their existing clubs and the new deals didn’t begin until 2020 are extremely deluded. Seibold expected it, Bennett expected it, Richardson expected it, and the Broncos mong board expected it. They just thought it would all fall in place for them - Bennett would make it easy and want to preserve his Broncos legacy again and walk out with dignity. Problem was Bennett doesn’t give a shit about this now. He wants his money but also managed to make it look like to your average DT reader moron thatbhe he gave a shit about sticking to contracts.
And while the Broncos dithered, they also hung their new coach out to dry at the joint and in front of the players he burnt.

The following things should have happened.

Brisbane should’ve sacked Bennett as soon as they decided and publicly announced that Bennett wasn’t in their future plans.

Seibold should’ve asked for a release as soon as he began discussions with the Broncos about the job.

Broncos started this shit by interviewing for a job that was still occupied.

While the Broncos or News Ltd are finally sacking, they should also sack Morris and White.

blaza88z

Coach
Mixed emotions, no man has done more for the club but he has form when it comes to poaching talent to bolster up the next club he's going to coach.

Seibold has a bit of pressure now, let's see how this pans out.