What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Lebanese Connection

ram raid

Bench
There's been a lot of talk over the years about the Koori connection in QLD and its importance to their team culture; Thursto, Inglis, Hodges, Thaidai etc. And of course Beetson as the team's revered Godfather. NSW have never really had any kind of analogue to this 'group within a group.' NSW even have a reputation for snubbing Aboriginal talent )e.g. Blacklock and Mundine.

There are two Lebanese players in the current NSW squad - Farah and Mansour (with Mitchell Moses also on the rise.) With this emerging Lebanese nucleus, do you think NSW could be building an empire based around a Lebanese connection and a Blue spiritual heartland in Punchbowl??

Knightmare

Coach
There's been a lot of talk over the years about the Koori connection in QLD and its importance to their team culture; Thursto, Inglis, Hodges, Thaidai etc. And of course Beetson as the team's revered Godfather. NSW have never really had any kind of analogue to this 'group within a group.' NSW even have a reputation for snubbing Aboriginal talent )e.g. Blacklock and Mundine.

There are two Lebanese players in the current NSW squad - Farah and Mansour (with Mitchell Moses also on the rise.) With this emerging Lebanese nucleus, do you think NSW could be building an empire based around a Lebanese connection and a Blue spiritual heartland in Punchbowl??

I'd hazard a guess that at the root of it, Blacklock's snubbing had more to do with club politics than race (otherwise how did blokes like Graham Lyons or Ricky Walford ever get selected?)

Choc? He played 1 or 2 games. Problem was that he had one Laurie Daley in front of him for the 5/8th spot...

ram raid

Bench
I'd hazard a guess that at the root of it, Blacklock's snubbing had more to do with club politics than race

How's that? I don't remember much about it. I do know that he's personally very bitter about it (as he's said in interviews). From what I do remember the argument for his non-selection went that he was a poor defender.

carcharias

Immortal
I'd hazard a guess that at the root of it, Blacklock's snubbing had more to do with club politics than race (otherwise how did blokes like Graham Lyons or Ricky Walford ever get selected?)

Choc? He played 1 or 2 games. Problem was that he had one Laurie Daley in front of him for the 5/8th spot...

Choc had freddy and Daley in front of him.

Pretty sure Daley is part aboriginal too.

grouch

First Grade
Mundine played all 3 origins in 99, even with Daley and Fittler both in the team. He was just playing too well to leave out. His blow up occurred at the end of that year when the Aussie selectors snubbed him, because by then Daley had retired from rep footy. They chose Matt Johns instead which was a bad joke.

Blacklock was ripped off by everyone. They chose nuffies like Darren Albert and Matt Geyer ahead of him

Caped Crusader

Juniors
How's that? I don't remember much about it. I do know that he's personally very bitter about it (as he's said in interviews). From what I do remember the argument for his non-selection went that he was a poor defender.

Which is pretty spot on. Blacklock was an awful defender and its something that really gets exposed in Origin

Any talk of race being a consideration in rep selections is complete trash.

Haffa

Mundine played all 3 origins in 99, even with Daley and Fittler both in the team. He was just playing too well to leave out. His blow up occurred at the end of that year when the Aussie selectors snubbed him, because by then Daley had retired from rep footy. They chose Matt Johns instead which was a bad joke.

Blacklock was ripped off by everyone. They chose nuffies like Darren Albert and Matt Geyer ahead of him

You can add Ainscough to that list.

Force

Juniors

You can pretty much say that for a number of ethnicity's. Michael Jennings, Andrew Fifita(who is half Aborigine), Tyson Frizell are Tongan descent(there has been a number of Tongans play for NSW over the years - Daniel and Anthony Tupou, Hopoate x 2 etc.... Also James Tamou and Dylan Walker are Maori descent.

Knightmare

Coach
Choc had freddy and Daley in front of him.

Pretty sure Daley is part aboriginal too.

Shhhhhh- it was because NSW are all RACIST and that's why they are the scum of the Earth...no wonder G.I never wanted to play for them, he never would've been selected because he's not white!