What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Luke O'Donnell thread

Serc

First Grade
Family matters as Cross eyes UK
BY ROBERT DILLON
08 Jul, 2010 12:00 AM

AS speculation mounted that he was set to join English club Salford, rugged prop Ben Cross said yesterday he would have no qualms about leaving the Newcastle Knights if he felt that was the best move for his career and his family.
Off contract at the end of the season, the 2008 NSW Origin representative said he was "still weighing up a few options . . . pretty much at this stage anything is possible".
He said he felt settled after three years with the Knights but knew from his time with Canberra and Melbourne that he could adapt to new surrounds.
"The lifestyle [in Newcastle] has been great for my family but it's probably looking like the last contract I'll be signing," the 31-year-old said.
"We'd love to stay, obviously. But we've had to pack up and move previously and we've always adapted to where we've moved to.
"I've got no worries about having to move again with the family, and they're fully supportive.
"I've made some good friends here through footy and it would be sad to leave, but we can always come back if that's the case."
Cross said he was interested in playing overseas and felt capable of continuing for another two or three years.
Hindered by a succession of serious injuries in his first two seasons with the Knights, including a twice-broken thumb and a ruptured biceps, the 31-year-old has shrugged off concerns about his durability by appearing in 14 of Newcastle's 15 games this year.
And he was confident his frustrating time on the sidelines during 2008 and 2009 would help extend his career.
"Missing out with injury has actually worked in my favour, because when you're not playing, you're not getting the wear and tear on your body," Cross said.
"The injuries I've had weren't ones that would stop me from running or playing footy. Touch wood, I haven't had any major knee concerns or shoulders that can hinder your performances. A couple of broken thumbs and a torn biceps . . . it's not good from the Knights' point of view, but from my body's point of view, it's provided a bit of relief from the way I play the game."
Volatile North Queensland forward Luke O'Donnell suggested in yesterday's edition of Rugby League Week that he would consider joining his younger brother Kyle at the Knights next season.
Kyle, a member of Cronulla's under 20s, has signed a two-year deal with Newcastle starting next season.
"I've missed seeing my brother grow up as he was only 13 when I moved up here and now he's a man," Luke O'Donnell told the magazine.
"Kyle's a very talented player in his own right and I'd love to be around him and help him out because I feel I've missed out on some of the best parts of his life already."
The Newcastle Herald understands that the Knights' talks with O'Donnell's management have not progressed past the preliminary stage.

In last night's Origin curtain-raiser, Knights winger Kevin Naiqama scored the game-breaking try as NSW Residents beat their Queensland counterparts 28-20.

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo.../family-matters-as-cross-eyes-uk/1879549.aspx

Last edited:

Jono078

Referee
Really sounds like young Naiqama is having a good season, I hope he continues to improve and makes FG one day.

perverse

Referee
Really sounds like young Naiqama is having a good season, I hope he continues to improve and makes FG one day.
it does. where do you put him, though?

*yosh/some others tell me Aku to fullback, Gidley to halves, drop Rogers, Kev to Wing*

please, no guys... no Aku to fullback talk, for my sanities sake. Aku has a looooong way to go before he could ever be a first grade fullback etc etc...

*roopy now tells me kev at fullback with gids to hooker*

my follow up question to that being: does Kev have the positional play and talking game to be a first grade fullback? can he direct the defence from back there? how are his hands under the high ball these days?

just saving us some time here, guys. :sarcasm:

Perth Knights

Juniors
With cross contemplating a move to Salford, the Knights should be looking to recruit another prop forward as a matter of priority.

There is a rumour doing the rounds that Greg Eastwood is homesick and looking to return to the Bulldogs. What do you guys think of Greg Eastwood and should the Knights chase him and possibly use Cross as trade bait?? In my opinion, Eastwood is a good young forward and would be a handy addition to the Knights forward stock.

MC DUI

Juniors
I'd definitely prefer us to buy a good prop over Luke O'Donnell, I'm not sure we need anymore backrowers?

With cross contemplating a move to Salford, the Knights should be looking to recruit another prop forward as a matter of priority.

There is a rumour doing the rounds that Greg Eastwood is homesick and looking to return to the Bulldogs. What do you guys think of Greg Eastwood and should the Knights chase him and possibly use Cross as trade bait?? In my opinion, Eastwood is a good young forward and would be a handy addition to the Knights forward stock.

His heart is set on the bulldogs.

And RE LOD, I have the feeling his well and truly sharkbound next year.

Perth Knights

Juniors
His heart is set on the bulldogs.

And RE LOD, I have the feeling his well and truly sharkbound next year.

Agreed ... the rumour tends to imply that Eastwood is keen to head back to the dogs next year. However, the Knights are in need of a quality prop (or two) for next year to replace Cross (if he leaves) and we could do worse than sound Eastwood out as to whether he would consider coming to Newcastle particularly if we throw some decent coin his way. As they say ... you'll never know if you don't ask!!

Think we need a metre eater to be honest, we've already got Richie and Neville for impact......

Apparently Tronc hasnt signed for next year with the Bronco's, we could do worse then him.

Johns Magic

Referee

I went to the game last night and caught the Naiqama try. It was the easiest try anyone will ever score, on the end of a big overlap a few metres out.

Not trying to discredit him, but just thought I'd give an idea to those who probably didn't see it.

Perth Knights

Juniors
Think we need a metre eater to be honest, we've already got Richie and Neville for impact......

Apparently Tronc hasnt signed for next year with the Bronco's, we could do worse then him.

Don't really like Richie. He was okay last year under Smith but he has really dropped off this year and his handling is atrocious (from the games that I have seen). For me, I would like to see the Club get rid of him.

Costigan will be a good for us next year but I would still like to see us looking to buy a prop and outside back. Again, even though Eastwood has stated his preference is to head back to the dogs next year, why should this stop us from trying to lure him to Newcastle. We are supposedly cashed up so why not ask the question. It didn't stop us with Gasnier (although I am glad we didn't get him tbh).

Perth Knights

Juniors

For the record, Tronc has signed with the Bronc for a further two years.

Don't really like Richie. He was okay last year under Smith but he has really dropped off this year and his handling / error rate is atrocious (from the games that I have seen). For me, I would like to see the Club get rid of him.

Costigan will be a good for us next year but I would still like to see us looking to buy a quality prop and outside back. Again, even though Eastwood has stated his preference is to head back to the dogs next year, why should this stop us from trying to lure him to Newcastle. We are supposedly cashed up so why not ask the question. It didn't stop us with Gasnier (although I am glad we didn't get him tbh).

Serc

First Grade
Costigan will be a good for us next year but I would still like to see us looking to buy a quality prop and outside back. Again, even though Eastwood has stated his preference is to head back to the dogs next year, why should this stop us from trying to lure him to Newcastle. We are supposedly cashed up so why not ask the question.

I think you've already answered your question :p

Perth Knights

Juniors
I think you've already answered your question :p

Costigan will be a great impact player but is not the quality player that I would like to see at the Knights. Surely there are better players that we could be targeting with all of this spare cash that I keep hearing about.

Serc

First Grade
I even bolded the important part for you? lol

Your question is in the sentence after that, would you like me to give you a GPS to help you find it :p

perverse

Referee
given the stark difference in performance from NSW last night to the previous 2 matches... i really hope we don't end up with White. he's been a big part of NSW's problem.

i'd still take LOD, though. he's a bloody hard bastard.

Latest posts