What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Matty Johns Show: Thursdays @ 7.30pm on 7

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ith-next-project/story-e6frexnr-1225795195125

Matty Johns tackles Footy Show with next project

* By Paul Kent
* November 07, 2009 12:00AM

MATTHEW Johns claims it is only a "possibility" but it is next to certain he will return to television next year in direct opposition to former Channel 9 powerhouse The Footy Show.

From the dark hollows where he disappeared, Johns emerged yesterday under a bright new sun.

Many have been awaiting Johns' return. Nobody believed it would be quite like this.

He has formed a production company with ad-man John Singleton and will now concentrate on multi-faceted media projects.

While reluctant to discuss any ideas already under way, a movie is already being planned involving Paul Hogan's former business partner John "Strop" Cornell.

Johns' resurgence has the potential to make him wealthy far beyond anything he could have achieved had he remained at Nine.

The new business started in the quiet conversations he had with Singleton following the rupturing of his career after a Four Corners program in May named him at the centre of a group sex investigation that occurred eight years ago.

Singleton was one of a number of highly successful people calling to provide moral support, but over time began discussing business ideas.

"When Singo first called me I didn't fob it off, but I was in no condition to really consider it," Johns said.

The retired footballer was still in a place where he hardly answered his telephone, where he often agreed to catch up with a friend but called up late to cancel.

"One of the most difficult things was looking at the pain and embarrassment that I caused the people closest to me," he said.

"It was my actions that caused it."

Then three weeks ago Trish Johns walked into the loungeroom and saw her husband sitting on the lounge and took a seat next to him.

"I don't know whether you've noticed," she said, "but myself and the kids are getting on with the rest of our lives and, for our sake, we need you to do the same."

Johns spoke to Singleton with more certainty next time, and the company was born.

"I was a bit, to be honest, I was a bit all over the place and I didn't really know what I wanted to do with my life," he said.

Now it is different. The production company has real appeal for Johns and while he turns his back on a $600,000-a-year contract with Nine for a job with no certainty, it could potentially earn him millions.

"If he can get a show to work then he might be able to make money, and not just get fees for being an on-air talent," Nine chief executive David Gyngell said. "I'm happy for him."

The rival footy show would be fronted by Johns and 2GB's Ray Hadley, who Seven is known to be keen on signing. Seven also intends to go in heavily for the National Rugby League's free-to-air rights when they are next available, making a new-look footy show featuring Johns and Hadley more appealing.

Asked about The Footy Show opposition, Johns was non-committal: "It could be a possibility." Singleton was more forthright: "I like the way you're thinking," he said.

Gyngell was unconcerned: "I've got no concerns, footy shows are footy shows. We've got a good brand there." Gyngell said he would be surprised if Johns and Hadley developed a program and Nine was not given a chance to bid for it.

While Singleton has plans for Johns beyond a footy show, the program would provide cash flow to begin funding other developments.

Hadley was last night intrigued.

"I'm contracted to Singo until 2011 and my contract includes all electronic media work," he said.

"I can't do TV without his involvement, so . . ."

Johns and Singleton own 50 per cent each of the new company, which has yet to be named. Singleton has given Johns as long as he needs to develop sellable programs.

El Diablo

Post Whore
The rival footy show would be fronted by Johns and 2GB's Ray Hadley, who Seven is known to be keen on signing. Seven also intends to go in heavily for the National Rugby League's free-to-air rights when they are next available, making a new-look footy show featuring Johns and Hadley more appealing.

Asked about The Footy Show opposition, Johns was non-committal: "It could be a possibility." Singleton was more forthright: "I like the way you're thinking," he said.

Gyngell was unconcerned: "I've got no concerns, footy shows are footy shows. We've got a good brand there." Gyngell said he would be surprised if Johns and Hadley developed a program and Nine was not given a chance to bid for it.

While Singleton has plans for Johns beyond a footy show, the program would provide cash flow to begin funding other developments.

Hadley was last night intrigued.

"I'm contracted to Singo until 2011 and my contract includes all electronic media work," he said.

"I can't do TV without his involvement, so . . ."

interesting

no wonder 9 news today have been going hard on Johns

Grimshaw already did a disgraceful interview with him and his wife and he should never go back to 9 after that treatment

Ridders

Coach
Good for him. After the way Nine left him out to dry, I hope he never goes back.

otori

Juniors
Interesting the story is pushing the angle that the show will start on Seven as a precursor to them seriously bidding for the Public TV rights to the NRL. If so, it's good to see they're serious about making a move to at least push the bidding up.

Interesting the story is pushing the angle that the show will start on Seven as a precursor to them seriously bidding for the Public TV rights to the NRL. If so, it's good to see they're serious about making a move to at least push the bidding up.
I don't think the NRL gets anything out of this.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Good on two fronts, 1. we need a better RL show and 2. Johns didn't deserve the treatment he got and would be karma if he creates a show that stuffs Ch9!

Nuke

Staff member
3. Ch7 are a nation-wide broadcaster, no matter what region (as far as I understand it). Anything Matty Johns does on Ch7 will be broadcast into non-League areas.

Goddo

Bench
The footy show needs some competition. Isn't there supposed to be a big revamp of the footy show for next year?

Isn't there supposed to be a big revamp every year?

I was thinking the same thing.

will be interesting to see what happens.
I dont give a f**k who gets the rights as long as it means more league coverage, (more than likley as the new deal for 2013 will co-incide with the analogue switch off) resulting in more channels and what not.
Will be happy as long as we dont have to cop anymore drop kick commentators

yakstorm

First Grade
3. Ch7 are a nation-wide broadcaster, no matter what region (as far as I understand it). Anything Matty Johns does on Ch7 will be broadcast into non-League areas.

Seven are like Nine in that regards, they can limit into each region what is shown and what isn't. They already do it with the AFL on Friday Night and the Rugby Union Tests, so I don't know if it would guarantee national coverage of their Rugby League show, but hopefully they'd at least consider putting it on 7Two in the traditional non-league areas.

Overall though, getting some more channels to do Rugby League magazine style shows would be very well received. AFL is currently spoiled with shows on Seven, Ten, Nine, One, Fox Sports and NITV, whilst we only have Nine, Fox Sports and NITV.

LESStar58

Referee
Still freaking out at the possibility of Seven getting the NRL. They will treat us worse than Nine do in Melbourne!

I, for one, would like to see Matt back on tele. He's payed his penance, people need to let him get on with his life.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Still freaking out at the possibility of Seven getting the NRL. They will treat us worse than Nine do in Melbourne!

I, for one, would like to see Matt back on tele. He's payed his penance, people need to let him get on with his life.

how could anyone treat the game worse than 9 :?

VictoryFC

Bench
While many would disagree, Johns has always been my favourite panelist. I imagine any new format would incorporate some kind of humour into it, but I hope they stay away from making it essentially a variety show.

Weels

Juniors
First Up, Welcome back Matt, boy have you been missed.:clap:

After all the crap that you have had to deal with, (twice) I wish you ( and your family ) all the success with any venture you and Singo :alcho: take on in your new company.

If the rumour that you will be tied up with the 7 network is true, then please, please try and push them to not only bid for the NRL, :f:but make sure they have the winning bid. \\\\:D/

sallymay

Juniors
ill follow him no matter where he goes.....as a victorian he was the one guy i loved from the footy show when i first got into league so ill always follow him now

Latest posts