What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The most disgraceful refereeing I've ever seen

Nightward

Juniors
Refereeing has been pretty dire all year, so having it come out in the big games like the Grand Final and State of Origin is no real surprise.

I think the Broncos were probably a little lucky last night.

The angle I saw the Berrigan obstruction run/head-high penalty from made it appear as though he'd absolutely been axed by Slater, but watching the replay showed he was falling into it and Slater's probably more than entitled to feel a tad unhappy about the result. I think a lot of "shepards" ths season have been the result of successful decoy runs, and I'm personally not sold on the idea of that particular attacking run being illegal. Your mileage may vary.

King I think copped a bad call. I personally couldn't see anything wrong with it, but that's just me. There may well be some sort of obscure rule relating to that specific occasion occurring, and it might even have been correctly applied. I'm not sure what was going on, there.

I also think Slater did strip the ball. To me it looked as though Berrigan was right about to loose the ball, but Slater then took possession of it. Sure, the Storm might have gathered possession of it aafter it had been lost- but they might have knocked it on, been trapped in-goal, or it could have been sent backwards, picked up, and taken over the line for a try. There's no garuantees, there.

I don't think the Hodges sideline incident mattered all that much, but then, I don't think he touched the ball any way after the forward pass.

Ultimately, though, something probably does need to be done about the standard of refeering in the NRL. I've watched the Queensland Cup a bit this season and was impressed by the impartiality and, more crucially, ability to get respect from players the referees displayed there. Perhaps the NRL needs to employ more referees in general, rotating them between the grades to ensure parity and practice?

dubby

Bench
Melbourne have gotten away with a fair bit in there time this year, esp: play the ball area. The way they have grappled and slowed down every play the ball this year made me furious,

Brisbane won it fair and square IMHO.

Every ref will make mistakes in a game. Every game.

Simpkins is not a great ref, hell he's not even a good one, but I still think he got most of the calls right.

Berrigan was going to lose that ball, but Slater took it. IF Billy lets it come out, than its play on. Silly Billy.

Big Pete

Referee
Agreed completely dubby. Berrigan was losing the ball, but still had some grip when Slater took it off him. Harsh call though and one that I wouldn't be whinging about if it went the Storms way.

Winston Smith

Juniors
Big Pete said:
What needs to happen to solve everyones bitching is to bring in the video ref more.

Agree of disagree?

Normal logic would say that would help, but in the NRL the video refs are generally worse than the on-field ones, so they would just replace one set of mistakes with a different lot. Little wonder the video refs are pretty dire ... most of them are failed former referees.

Latest posts