What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The most disgraceful refereeing I've ever seen

Raoul Duke

Juniors
HAVE A SOOK YOU f**kING TOSSERS! BRISBANE ARE THE BETTER TEAM. NO ONE WAS A REAL MATCH FOR THE MIGHTY BRONCOS TONIGHT.

bonestorm

Juniors
The reffing was bad overall, no question. To suggest it all went against Melbourne isn't true though, e.g. the rubbish penalty for a high tackle against Hodges (which made no contact with the neck or head whatsoever) directly led to a Storm try.

As someone else said, Melbourne lost because they didn't stick to their game plan, they turned over possession at crucial times and because the Bronco defence was immaculate. They had a lot more ball inside the attacking 20 but couldn't break through.

The reffing didn't help their cause but it didn't cost them the game either.

nqboy

First Grade
flash said:
Just got back from the game, i didnt think the ref was that bad, and as a neutral fan I think the better side won.
You'd be the only one, on either (any?) side. Melbourne definitely got the worst of the reffing. But anyone who wants to bag them is welcome to do a course, pick up a whistle and show us how to do it better. Good luck.

Anon

Bench
The refereeing in the 2006 Grand Final cost the Melbourne Storm a victory. It was disgraceful. It is time to demand that the NRL does something about it.

Well now they know how it feels after winning the 1999 premiership having scored a try that got them back in the game from a blatant forward pass. Aint Karma a bitch. :)

dubopov

Coach
Simpkins did a good job....Melbourne have played it smart this season..everyone whinges about the grapple but Melbourne moved on - they play split markers, slow down the play the ball, get off the defensive line before the ball is played..most Refs are satisfied that there isn't a grapple so they aren't looking for other infringements...Brisbane deseved the win..

Michelle Leslie

Juniors
Absolutely biased performance.

I am not a Melbourne supporter but every 50 50 call went against Melbourne.
Dead set hidden agenda.

Disappointed that he was even given the game.

Raoul Duke

Juniors
f**kING IDIOT! Didn't you hear the commentator's announce that from the 4 melbourne games simpkin reffed, storm won all 4. This is th first time. Stop sooking you bastard

Bazal

Post Whore
LMFAO!!! Yeah, the grand final was rigged! Nice one...maybe you should head bacl to that Bali jail, ask them why they didn't return your brain with the rest of your belongings...and haven't we got enough f**king threads about this?

Ant

Juniors
Look I don't think Melb necessarily deserved to win the game, but I do think they had some crucial calls go against them.
What I do think is funny, is how many people are claiming melb were crap and bris were great in game that there was a 7 point gap with most thinking there were 10 points under dispute in the game all against melb. I felt it was a very even game, I thought Brisbane defended very well and melb probably had the better of field position and threatened more often. Pretty even if you ask me.

On those calls, well I have watched the key ones back again.

1. Before we get into the main calls, I think the stuff about flops went both ways, at first I thought brisbane were very guilty but as the match went on I thought storm did their fair share. I do think storm had some cause for complaint about some of their guys getting pulled back down when they were in a good position to play the ball quick, players around the ankles slowing them down.

2. Now the big calls, well clearly the first main one, berrigan lost the ball. I watched it back and slater wouldn't have got far, brisbane had plenty of players to cover any counter, but 2 points to brisbane. This was a dud call but in the scheme of things not as big as the later ones.

3. The berrigan penalty. First and clearly it was a textbook shepherd, should have been a storm penalty. I'd also add that slater was very unlucky to be penalised for the high shot, its a bit rough being done for accidently clipping a guy who falls and you hit him at what would be about the hight of the sternum if that with an outstretched arm that would have been there to tackle berrigan legally at full height. I said to my friend at the time that it was a match turning decision at 8-8 in the 58th minute. Next set from the kick off they shouldn't have had brisbane score through a mix of skill and luck (come on over the head pass that hits the ground and bounces into lockyer's hands). Its a 6 point turn around.

4. The King no try, looked I have watched this back 10 times in super slow mo, and I have no idea how harrigan got his decision. There is simply no real evidence that hoffman knocks on, what it does show is hodges arms always between hoffman and the ball. hoffman hits hodges arms, but there is no evidence to show he ever touch's the ball, all evidence suggest he didn't. I think it is clearly a melbourne try, but even the small amount if doubt should be a benefit of the doubt melb try. Add one more its clear hodges does touch it first even if it was suggested hoffman might have touched it (which I don't think he did), how did they come up with a brisbane play the ball? Hodges must knock it on into hoffman if he touches it. All in all it was a horrible decision, and really at 65 mins in such a tight game (there was 1 more point scored), it finalised the game.

The big calls were over a 7 min period, and they turned the match from an 8-8 game to basically a brisbane win, now maybe brisbane win anyway, but the bad decisions turned the match to them.

juanfarkall

Coach
the alleged "big calls" were no bigger than any other week this year.

I would actually be pretty dirty if the officials had put on a great display tonight after the absolute tripe that has been served up throughout 2006.

Karma.

Knightmare

Coach
Ridders said:
i pity for the broncos...i can only imagine what the headlines r gonna be like tommorow...as you said greeneyed, the broncos have the win but its a hollow one

I think it will depend where you're from. If you're from Sydney or Melbourne, the papers will (honestly) discuss how controversial tonght's game was. If you're from up my way, they will claim more or less that every Broncos player should be worshipped as a deity from now on and that 5% of Queensland tax payers money should go to Wayne Bennett for being such a great bloke and how the Broncos will win the next 10 Premierships and nobody will ever beat them again :blahb:

juanfarkall

Coach
Considering that the owner of the Courier Mail also owns the Broncos, would you honestly expect anything else ?

Slackboy72

Coach
I do think they had some crucial calls go against them

My god, the refs made some mistakes? Unbelievable! Who would have thought that such a dastardly thing could happen? Have you ever played any sport in your life? It happens.

Nullajet

Juniors
Ant said:
Look I don't think Melb necessarily deserved to win the game, but I do think they had some crucial calls go against them.
What I do think is funny, is how many people are claiming melb were crap and bris were great in game that there was a 7 point gap with most thinking there were 10 points under dispute in the game all against melb. I felt it was a very even game, I thought Brisbane defended very well and melb probably had the better of field position and threatened more often. Pretty even if you ask me.

On those calls, well I have watched the key ones back again.

1. Before we get into the main calls, I think the stuff about flops went both ways, at first I thought brisbane were very guilty but as the match went on I thought storm did their fair share. I do think storm had some cause for complaint about some of their guys getting pulled back down when they were in a good position to play the ball quick, players around the ankles slowing them down.

2. Now the big calls, well clearly the first main one, berrigan lost the ball. I watched it back and slater wouldn't have got far, brisbane had plenty of players to cover any counter, but 2 points to brisbane. This was a dud call but in the scheme of things not as big as the later ones.

3. The berrigan penalty. First and clearly it was a textbook shepherd, should have been a storm penalty. I'd also add that slater was very unlucky to be penalised for the high shot, its a bit rough being done for accidently clipping a guy who falls and you hit him at what would be about the hight of the sternum if that with an outstretched arm that would have been there to tackle berrigan legally at full height. I said to my friend at the time that it was a match turning decision at 8-8 in the 58th minute. Next set from the kick off they shouldn't have had brisbane score through a mix of skill and luck (come on over the head pass that hits the ground and bounces into lockyer's hands). Its a 6 point turn around.

4. The King no try, looked I have watched this back 10 times in super slow mo, and I have no idea how harrigan got his decision. There is simply no real evidence that hoffman knocks on, what it does show is hodges arms always between hoffman and the ball. hoffman hits hodges arms, but there is no evidence to show he ever touch's the ball, all evidence suggest he didn't. I think it is clearly a melbourne try, but even the small amount if doubt should be a benefit of the doubt melb try. Add one more its clear hodges does touch it first even if it was suggested hoffman might have touched it (which I don't think he did), how did they come up with a brisbane play the ball? Hodges must knock it on into hoffman if he touches it. All in all it was a horrible decision, and really at 65 mins in such a tight game (there was 1 more point scored), it finalised the game.

The big calls were over a 7 min period, and they turned the match from an 8-8 game to basically a brisbane win, now maybe brisbane win anyway, but the bad decisions turned the match to them.

EXCELLENT POST!!! Sums it up perfectly!

philstorm

Juniors
As much as i'd like to say we lost it due to penalties, we didn't ...

We lost because we didn't make the most of our opportunities. The Broncos did.

Well done on a good game and a fine season Broncos ...

Razor

Coach
Ant said:
4. The King no try, looked I have watched this back 10 times in super slow mo, and I have no idea how harrigan got his decisio

His nickname is Bronco Bill for a reason.

Latest posts