What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

the most over rated players in rl history

bedlam breakout

Juniors
1 wally lewis
2 Bradley clyde
3 kevin sinfield

if ever there were 3 more over rated 2 dimensional players I would like to know, wally -yer could spin a long pass- was there at the right time but apart from that ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Card Shark

Immortal
Wally Lewis over-rated?

Only as a commentator - freakish player.

I suggest you take him off & replace with a half from Newcastle....& it's not Joey.

Stagger Lee

Bench
Great players - though the OP is obviously either trying to troll or trying to talk Sinfield up by mentioning him in the same thread as the other two.

I've got a soft spot for Sinfield, him being a born and bred roughyead and all, but does not deserve to be considered an all time great. Maybe if he spends his last years playing for Oldham and leads them back to the super league I will reconsider.

POPEYE

Coach
At first glance I thought this was another Barba thread, turned out to be a Pommy octopus with all tentacles firmly gripping a washed up penis . . . fishing must be bad

DiegoNT

First Grade
I think people get the words over rated mixed up with meaning something's bad. Great players can still be over rated.
My example is Mal Meninga. Great player, amazing record yet people talk him up like his an immortal, Queenslanders thought it was an outrage when joey got immortalized ahead of him. But if you go back and watch the old classic matches he's rarely the best Centre in the game. In the 80s he was probably outshone by guys like Kenny and Gene Miles ( someone who always stands out in those classic matches) and in the early 90s guys like Renouf, Daley and Fittler stood out more. Even in the great Raiders sides he captained you could say guys like Daley, Stuart, Clyde, Lazarus and Walters were better.

Wizardman

First Grade
Wally Lewis overrated???? You cannot overrate a legend of the game.

I am with you on the other two to a certain extent. Brad Clyde was a complete workhorse but I did not think his attack was much chop at all. Sinfield is lucky to be part of a great Leeds team. For a player with his impressive record, I agree that he is a limited player.

Two guys I'd like to add are Thomas Leullai and JWH. Leullai was seen as an essential player in the Kiwi line-up and I could not see why. Extremely limited player.

JWH likes to play the tough guy but his main job should be to get metres....he should be able to do so much better in that area.
Another poster mentioned Andy Farrell and I tend to agree, although he is a better player than Sinfield ever was.

I'd have

1. Kevin Sinfield
2. Andy Farrell
3. Thomas Leullai

I'd agree with Andy Farrell... but (cant for the life of me remember his name) he was a kiwi promised the world to play for state if origin jumped ship played for the Roos i think and fell of the face of the earth (i could be wrong) ... RIchard V..... something i think....

Card Shark

Immortal
I'd agree with Andy Farrell... but (cant for the life of me remember his name) he was a kiwi promised the world to play for state if origin jumped ship played for the Roos i think and fell of the face of the earth (i could be wrong) ... RIchard V..... something i think....

Vigilante

Edwahu

Bench
I think people get the words over rated mixed up with meaning something's bad. Great players can still be over rated.
My example is Mal Meninga. Great player, amazing record yet people talk him up like his an immortal, Queenslanders thought it was an outrage when joey got immortalized ahead of him. But if you go back and watch the old classic matches he's rarely the best Centre in the game. In the 80s he was probably outshone by guys like Kenny and Gene Miles ( someone who always stands out in those classic matches) and in the early 90s guys like Renouf, Daley and Fittler stood out more. Even in the great Raiders sides he captained you could say guys like Daley, Stuart, Clyde, Lazarus and Walters were better.

We'll have to agree to disagree. Mal played 30 more tests than Kenny and Miles for a reason.

If anything revisionism is making Mal underrated.