What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

the most over rated players in rl history

Stagger Lee

Bench
I think people get the words over rated mixed up with meaning something's bad. Great players can still be over rated.
My example is Mal Meninga. Great player, amazing record yet people talk him up like his an immortal, .

Bollox

In my top ten players I have watched live.

His size, power and pace while he was a youngster playing for St Helens left me gobsmacked - He was absolutely awesome. He created a new standard in the game for what a centre could do. And to star in those Australian teams of the early / mid 80's, which were probably the greatest international teams of all time, shows anyone with half a brain that he deserves the games immortal status.

Did you ever see him play live DiegoNT ?

Stagger Lee

Bench
That's because Bethlehem isn't in Queensland.

:sarcasm:

:lol: :crazy:

Those early third party deals for that Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh company made him rich but claiming that the speedboat was not his and that he walked on water was hard to believe. Even Greg Inglis new that story would never fly.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Bollox

In my top ten players I have watched live.

His size, power and pace while he was a youngster playing for St Helens left me gobsmacked - He was absolutely awesome. He created a new standard in the game for what a centre could do. And to star in those Australian teams of the early / mid 80's, which were probably the greatest international teams of all time, shows anyone with half a brain that he deserves the games immortal status.

Did you ever see him play live DiegoNT ?
I never said he wasn't a great player, thats undisputed. Hall of fame for sure. Great leader and universally respected. In the top 50 to ever play? Definitely. In the top 20 to ever play? Probably. In the top 10 to ever play? That's a maybe. All the 8 immortals were without argument the best players of their time. All 8 could make a claim to be the greatest of all time. Even in those great australian teams he was apart of he was never the best player, that was for a long part of his career Wally Lewis. He had 2 players in the 80s that were at least equal to him in brett kenny and gene miles that kept him out of a few teams. At the back end of his career daley, renouf and Fittler had overtaken him.
Overrated doesn't always equal bad players

Stagger Lee

Bench
Gallen is way over rated imo

I thought the "gallen" S.O.O game was one of the most super human performances I have ever seen in a single game.

Shame it is now forever under a dank cloud. His performances before and after have been extreme plod like.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I'd agree with Andy Farrell... but (cant for the life of me remember his name) he was a kiwi promised the world to play for state if origin jumped ship played for the Roos i think and fell of the face of the earth (i could be wrong) ... RIchard V..... something i think....

Richard Villisanti, and he wasn't a Kiwi, 100% Australian, came from the Tigers, though played a few seasons at the Warriors where he was at his best which earned him Australian selection. Solid prop with awesome defensive technique, but succumbed to personal demons and injury.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Richard Villisanti, and he wasn't a Kiwi, 100% Australian, came from the Tigers, though played a few seasons at the Warriors where he was at his best which earned him Australian selection. Solid prop with awesome defensive technique, but succumbed to personal demons and injury.

IIRC he was picked on the back of amazing form in the back end of the 2003 season, were he helped the warriors to a preliminary final and was one of the most dominate forwards in the comp. He then had a disastrous kangaroo tour and slipped of into obscurity not long after. His proof that picking 'in-form' players doesn't always work

anjado

Juniors
Meninga was awesome just watch the 1991 Grand Final he carried Canberra in the second half of that game. The guy deserves to be an immortal but because of Super League and some of his comments people forget what an amazing player he was.

The most overrated player of all time is Kurt Gidley the way the media was building him up when he was NSW captain they were talking about him like he was an all time great. Gidley isn't a terrible player but he was so overrated at that point in time he was about 5th or 6th best fullback in NSW but was being compared to the likes of Lockyer and Johns.

Other overrated players

Phil Bailey
Phil Daley
Michael Vella
Daniel Wagon
Stuart Kelly
Chris Flannery

In regards to the British players mentioned in this thread. Andy Farrell was a very good player but they kept picking him to play five-eighth when he was clearly a forward. Sinfield i think is a bit overrated and i think Sean Long was massively overrated how he was always picked over Lee Briers is a complete mystery too me.

bedlam breakout

Juniors
wasn't suggesting that lewis wasn't an above average player, yes seen him play over here live but give me brett Kenny over lewis any time- and jt is a better player now than lewis ever was- yes lewis deserves to be RATED highly but the over lording is too much

Latest posts