What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Mouth blasts 'racist' NSW

nqboy

First Grade
Link

ANGRY former players and officials last night lashed out at Anthony Mundine's latest claim that New South Wales is a racist rugby league state. Mundine revealed he was advising young Aboriginal players to move to Queensland for a chance to play representative football and avoid becoming victims of racism in NSW.

The Mouth's extraordinary attack on the game that made him a star comes just a week after Souths winger Nathan Merritt said he believed his Aboriginal heritage may have cost him a place in the City team to play Country. "I've told a lot of young Aboriginal boys to go to Queensland to play ... they'll give 'em a run up there," Mundine said. "A black player would have to do three or four times more than any other bloke to be a chance in NSW. "Politics and racism are part of the scene in rugby league. That's why I got out."

His comments drew strong protests with former NSW and Australia captain Brad Fittler saying: "It is a quite ridiculous and an unnecessary comment. His heart might be in the right place but his comments do more bad than good."

Mundine's argument has gaping holes in it (to no-one's surprise) given his nephew Matthew has captained the NSW under-16s team for past two years.

Not even ARL indigenous development manager and former Dragons teammate Ricky Walford could support Mundine last night. "I haven't come across any kid who has gone to Queensland for a better go," Walford said. "That isn't the case. We create opportunities for everyone."

Thirteen Aboriginal players have represented NSW in Origin - Mundine, Walford, Laurie Daley, Phil Duke, Steve Ella, John Ferguson, Cliff Lyons, Graham Lyons, Ken Nagas, David Peachey, Craig Salvatori, John Simon and Timana Tahu.

Salvatori said racism in the NRL was dead. "If Choc wants to be a role model, he should be sending out a better message to the kids than that," Salvatori said. "He's shot from the hip and hasn't thought too much about what he said. Racism in rugby league is a thing of the past. Greg Inglis will play for Australia for the next 10 years."

Former NSW prop Glenn Lazarus joined the chorus of unrest over Mundine's comments. "I don't know why he'd say that. Every now and then he has people scratching their heads," Lazarus said. "If you're good enough, you get in. Race or skin colour don't come into it."

NSWRL chief executive Geoff Carr said he would be prepared to meet with Mundine to discuss his concerns. "I signed 'Choc' at St George when he was a 15-year-old," Carr said. "The club had a culture that helped his development. If he has an issue, he hasn't spoken to me about it. I would be happy to talk to him about his views."

NRL chief executive David Gallop added: "It's just not correct. I'm sure selectors would be happy to sit down with 'Choc' if his concern is genuine."

Daley would not be drawn into the debate, simply saying: "It would be silly to even comment on that."

spider

Coach
"Politics and racism are part of the scene in rugby league. That's why I got out."
not like choc to run away from a challenge

is he still dirty he was not the best 5/8 at the time

nqboy

First Grade
And Paul Kent's stinging reply...

LINK

Mundine's claims are ridiculous

THE only way Anthony Mundine can generate interest for his fights is by criticising rugby league. Spit in the game's face, wipe his dirty feet all over it, and somewhere in there people might discover that Mundine is fighting some stiff, from Argentina in this case, and hopefully it might sell a few tickets.

The best news rising from Mundine's laughable comments yesterday are the overwhelming tides of opinion dismissing what he says. Mundine has lost just about all currency in rugby league.

So strongly do people feel about his ill-guided and often malicious comments these days that former footballers like Brad Fittler - generally averse to getting involved in any kind of controversy - felt strongly enough to reveal Mundine's comments for what they are.

Ridiculous. They don't even humour him any more.

Where once Mundine used to claim that he was the best in the world, that he always got on top of the likes of Fittler and Laurie Daley, that racism was what held him back and all the rest, now they simply come out and say it for what it is. Mundine wasn't good enough.

The fallout is that it has been well-established that Mundine has no credibility when it comes to claiming racism at work on the selection table. More learned souls realise that he simply has no other way of explaining to himself, in his dark moments, why he was never good enough to play more than three games off the bench for New South Wales - which is certainly impressive, but not lofty enough for the kingdom in Mundine's mind.

There is an uglier part to Mundine's rants, though, which is why it is so hard to forgive him for simply building interest in his fight. It is the ugly stain he smears good people with because, with no evidence and no clue, he labels them racist.

Being branded a racist is a hurtful, damaging slander. The worst part is that as soon as a person is branded a racist the obligation seems to be on them to prove they are not rather than on the accuser to prove they are.

Mundine can't prove any of his claims because they exist only in his mind. Yet every time he needs to sell a fight he labels rugby league a racist game and the onus then falls on those in the game to prove they are not, and too often they try to.

Rugby league has always been a great equaliser, with no better example being that it allowed Mundine to get to the level his talent warranted. Nothing more, and nothing less.

BD5733

Juniors
It's not good for kids to read stuff like this either.

Kids today use the line "I wasn't picked cos I'm this race, or this religion" without even thinking about what it means.

The more this happens, the more they believe it to be true. When they have no other excuse as to why they didn't get what they wanted they play the racist card just like Paul Kent says Mundine is doing.

nqboy said:
Link

NRL chief executive David Gallop added: "It's just not correct. I'm sure selectors would be happy to sit down with 'Choc' if his concern is genuine."

Why would you want to sit down and discuss his concern, he has nothing to do with rugby league or selection for that matter!

The Preacher

First Grade
Must be after early ticket and pay-per-view subscriptions.
Why someone who was so talented (though not the best in his position at the time) would want to come out with this unadulterated sh!t all the time which does nothing but alienate sections of potential support, has got me stuffed.
I've never wanted to see an Australian beaten so badly since Pat cash was giving me the sh!ts.

HevyDevy

Coach
The irony is that the man that kept him out of the NSW team for so long, Laurie Daley, was Aboriginal ...

His next opponent, hopefully....

bus_ad.jpg

Quigs

Immortal
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
His next opponent, hopefully....

bus_ad.jpg

You bloody racist Everlovin"

The bus is the wrong colour - it should be a Queensland Bus.

Cheers
Quigs.

Mr Saab

Referee
Didnt Mundine leave league partly because boxing was a much bigger stage and league was "small time"?
If thats the case then why cant he get the "small time" out of his system.

Latest posts