What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The name keeps getting louder SHAUN JOHNSON

hardbaby

Coach
We will sign Hastings (or not) well before we can even talk to Johnson anyway, so it's a non issue here.

I think Williams or Hastings (if he stays) will negate the need to talk to Johnson anyway.

Yep. We should be talking to Matulino.

shiznit

Coach
So if we don't re-sign an 18 year old, with no experience and on about $50K/year we should risk all to sign a gun on $800K/year. I don't see your point.

We have two really good halves in Williams and Widdop. We should be happy with what we have. Our backs will score a lot of points in 2014. I think you'll find both Morris and Nightingale will bounce back hard next year.
your gonna need more than 800K mate...

even with Tomkinds the Warriors have mega rich owners and have massive cap space.

i would say if your gonna get Johnson from the Warriors your gonna have to spend over a million per season.

even a change of lifestyle will be pretty difficult... hes not your typical kid who comes from innercity auckland...

the kid comes from and i think even still lives in Whangaparaoa... a beautiful place 20mins outside of auckland...

whangaparaoa01.jpg

im not saying he wont move... i just reckon you guys will have to offer something MASSIVE to get him away from the Warriors.

all the talk of him not getting on with Elliot is rubbish also... if push comes to shove the owners will part company with Elliot before Johnson leaves.

shiznit

Coach
Yep. We should be talking to Matulino.
now THERES a guy who i reckon you could pinch...

the guy is an unbelievable prop... IMO the best in the business.

but the warriors have ALOT of depth in that area and with the young boom props they signed from england last week they may not have the same value on him that he's truly worth.

i reckon he's a guy who the Warriors would have trouble keeping if he gets a big offer.

BennyV

Referee

but the warriors have ALOT of depth in that area and with the young boom props they signed from england last week they may not have the same value on him that he's truly worth.

i reckon he's a guy who the Warriors would have trouble keeping if he gets a big offer.

I agree with this - he is pretty much everything you want from a front rower and would complete our pack next year. Question is, would the Warriors release him? They do have a lot of big, aggressive front rowers and he is clearly the most valuable, but still...would be a big loss...

DIMEAST

Juniors

I don't think he would be so easy to sign, the warriors rate him up close to the level of Johnson in terms of importance to the team. He's one of the best forwards in the world and I personally wouldn't swap him for burgess, tamou, Scott or any other prop. Momentum shifts dramatically when he comes on or off the field and he's essential for laying the platform for our backs. In saying that tho money talks...

even with Tomkinds the Warriors have mega rich owners and have massive cap space.

i would say if your gonna get Johnson from the Warriors your gonna have to spend over a million per season.

even a change of lifestyle will be pretty difficult... hes not your typical kid who comes from innercity auckland...

the kid comes from and i think even still lives in Whangaparaoa... a beautiful place 20mins outside of auckland...

im not saying he wont move... i just reckon you guys will have to offer something MASSIVE to get him away from the Warriors.

all the talk of him not getting on with Elliot is rubbish also... if push comes to shove the owners will part company with Elliot before Johnson leaves.

Why would he settle for that when he can have all that the Illawarra has to offer?

Last edited:

tumbidragon

First Grade

whangaparaoa01.jpg

That's in Queensland!

shiznit

Coach
I don't think he would be so easy to sign, the warriors rate him up close to the level of Johnson in terms of importance to the team. He's one of the best forwards in the world and I personally wouldn't swap him for burgess, tamou, Scott or any other prop. Momentum shifts dramatically when he comes on or off the field and he's essential for laying the platform for our backs. In saying that tho money talks...
I have no doubt they would value him highly...

But he would be easier to replace than Johnson.

Also, he's a Wellington kid... So he wouldn't find it as tough to leave Auckland.

Not saying he would be cheap... He would still command top dollar for a prop.

But he would be easier moved than Johnson who I think would cause jobs to be lost if he was picked up by another club.

Father Ted

First Grade

We will let him live in pic 1 .. We will give him some of pic 2 .. And pic 3 what happens if you try to take him back

Attachments

• Gong1.jpg
    Gong1.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Gong2.jpg
    Gong2.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 7
  • Gong3.jpg
    Gong3.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

nrlnrl

First Grade
The name might be getting louder but it's only because commentators are praising him so much.

I have a mate in Auckland who knows a few of the Warriors coaching staff & there might be rumours on social media & in the papers, but Shaun Johnson will be extending his contract at the Warriors.

Sorry guys, he's not coming to the Dragons, but at least he's not going to the Panthers either. He'll be staying at the Warriors & might even sign an extension this year.

blacksafake

First Grade
I heard Elliot on the bsb earlier this week say that he still has two years on his contract so he won't be going anywhere soon,especially to us as there is no way doust will be paying out that much to get him.

BennyV

Referee
The idea behind signing Williams for 1 year is that we could have a shot at Johnson but still have a backup plan. There was never a guarantee we would get him, but I assume Doust will go well out of his way to try and make it happen. If he stays with Warriors, good for him for staying loyal - in the meantime we will have a number of options to fall back on.

saint.nick

Coach
Beale is a very solid player. Good defender. Great positional play. Clever. My concern with him is that I think the Broncos were right. His best position is wing. He isn't explosive enough to play fullback. He should be a good centre and is a step up from Stanley.

I agree with you re: positioning him on the wing. I reckon he can be a good centre, but not anything like gaz. He doesn't seem big or explosive enough.