What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The name keeps getting louder SHAUN JOHNSON

mickeylane

Bench
With Williams and Widdop signed I imagine they will be looking to sign front rowers.
Williams is an experiment - hence his one year deal only....if he fails to impress he will be moved on and they will go for Johnson or similar....its quite clear that management havent really got their desired no 7....still looking.

ellskimore

Juniors
Williams is an experiment - hence his one year deal only....if he fails to impress he will be moved on and they will go for Johnson or similar....its quite clear that management havent really got their desired no 7....still looking.

This. Some people seem to consider Williams as some super signing but the reality is he is not yet truly established at first grade. If he can prove his worth at the Dragons then we will re-sign him. But why would we not chase Johnson who is a brilliant player. Williams is not Johnson.

Fingerbang

Bench
If Williams has a huge 2014, and gets offers from other clubs, and takes one of them.....you will all be calling Doust stupid for only offering him 12 months....:roll:

shiznit

Coach
I rate Johnson really highly... But he wouldn't be an instant answer for you... He has some issues around option taking and execution he needs to get sorted.

Experience will fix that IMO...

I honestly don't think he will even get close to the open market... The way warriors management have been talking he will be locked up well before his contact is up.

Joey has been a real mentor for the kid... And joey has been in his ear about being a one club man.

I would say the warriors owners will offer him HUGE money to stay put.

ellskimore

Juniors
If Williams has a huge 2014, and gets offers from other clubs, and takes one of them.....you will all be calling Doust stupid for only offering him 12 months....:roll:

Well what do you want us to do? Sign every potential player up long term in the hope some come good? A one year deal is the right move. If we sign too many players on longer deals based on potential we will end up like Parramatta or Wests, wasting money on reserve graders.
The fact is that there is a better halfback off contract soon. We should be in the hunt for him. Williams has a year to state his case. Good move.

In saying this, I don't think Johnson will leave the Warriors, but why should we admit defeat before the fact.

Last edited:

rabbitohs95

Bench
Dayne Weston would be a good pick up for cheap imo, anyone know why Penrith released him? Looked good whenever i saw him play.

Fingerbang

Bench
Well what do you want us to do?
How about....not crucify Doust if Sam shines next year and then signs with another club in 2015, and we miss out on Johnson.

I am not saying he should have been signed on a longer term contract....all I was getting at is that according to many people here, who are all saying the 1 year contract is a good idea, will turn it all back on Doust if Williams excels and is then lost to another team.

It will be the same with Dugan....many said signing him for the rest of this year was a good idea to see if he could turn around his personal demons. You watch the knives come out for Doust if the Duges signs with another club for 2014.

Last edited:

denis preston

First Grade
How about....not crucify Doust if Sam shines next year and then signs with another club in 2015, and we miss out on Johnson.

I am not saying he should have been signed on a longer term contract....all I was getting at is that according to many people here, who are all saying the 1 year contract is a good idea, will turn it all back on Doust if Williams excels and is then lost to another team.

It will be the same with Dugan....many said signing him for the rest of this year was a good idea to see if he could turn around his personal demons. You watch the knives come out for Doust if the Duges signs with another club for 2014.

You agree that a one + one option is right and then say what if it means we lose players ??? No wonder Doust can't win with some fans. The chances of signing up players long term are increased immeasurably if you already have that player at your club.

hardbaby

Coach
This. Some people seem to consider Williams as some super signing but the reality is he is not yet truly established at first grade. If he can prove his worth at the Dragons then we will re-sign him. But why would we not chase Johnson who is a brilliant player. Williams is not Johnson.

I have no concerns over Williams. Gun little player. Positive. Takes the line on. Good kicking game. Passes well. Fast as hell. Goal kicker. Just needs an extended opportunity.

Our spine is really strong next year (cross fingers re injuries). Best 1, 6, 7 & 9 I have seen in years. Dugan, Williams, Widdop, King. All talented young players on the way up. Compare that to the rubbish dished up this year. Throw in guys like Beale, Style, Rein, Garvey, Cook. Good players with youth on their side.

There are only two things we need now. Tough motherf**ker forwards and a new coach. If Morris comes on the market you would make a play for him because he is a Morris. But I am not too worried about the backs. It's all about the forwards now. Merrin, JDB, Stockwell, Frizell, Thompson. The guts of the pack is there. But we tail off massively after that.

I would much rather have a talented value signing in Williams and a mega prop than an expensive Johnson and Prior. And that's probably what it comes down to.

bottle

Coach
You agree that a one + one option is right and then say what if it means we lose players ??? No wonder Doust can't win with some fans. The chances of signing up players long term are increased immeasurably if you already have that player at your club.

denis I think you may have missed the point of finger's post. He is on your side.

saint.nick

Coach
I have no concerns over Williams. Gun little player. Positive. Takes the line on. Good kicking game. Passes well. Fast as hell. Goal kicker. Just needs an extended opportunity.

Our spine is really strong next year (cross fingers re injuries). Best 1, 6, 7 & 9 I have seen in years. Dugan, Williams, Widdop, King. All talented young players on the way up. Compare that to the rubbish dished up this year. Throw in guys like Beale, Style, Rein, Garvey, Cook. Good players with youth on their side.

There are only two things we need now. Tough motherf**ker forwards and a new coach. If Morris comes on the market you would make a play for him because he is a Morris. But I am not too worried about the backs. It's all about the forwards now. Merrin, JDB, Stockwell, Frizell, Thompson. The guts of the pack is there. But we tail off massively after that.

I would much rather have a talented value signing in Williams and a mega prop than an expensive Johnson and Prior. And that's probably what it comes down to.

agree with most of what you say, but what's the big fuss with beale? to me he just seems to be a little step above c.stanley and that's it.

possm

Coach
Doust needs to sort out what is happening with Hastings asap. If Hastings is moving on, we should make an all out play for Johnson.

hardbaby

Coach
agree with most of what you say, but what's the big fuss with beale? to me he just seems to be a little step above c.stanley and that's it.

Beale is a very solid player. Good defender. Great positional play. Clever. My concern with him is that I think the Broncos were right. His best position is wing. He isn't explosive enough to play fullback. He should be a good centre and is a step up from Stanley.

hardbaby

Coach
Doust needs to sort out what is happening with Hastings asap. If Hastings is moving on, we should make an all out play for Johnson.

So if we don't re-sign an 18 year old, with no experience and on about $50K/year we should risk all to sign a gun on $800K/year. I don't see your point.

We have two really good halves in Williams and Widdop. We should be happy with what we have. Our backs will score a lot of points in 2014. I think you'll find both Morris and Nightingale will bounce back hard next year.

watatank

Coach
We will sign Hastings (or not) well before we can even talk to Johnson anyway, so it's a non issue here.

I think Williams or Hastings (if he stays) will negate the need to talk to Johnson anyway.