What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Novocastrian FOOTY SHOW RORT

Sportsjock

Juniors
I don't think you get the point mate.

If I wanted to go to something bad enough, I'd pay whatever the ticket price was too!

Money to pay for the tickets isn't the issue, it is the fact that Channel 9, in my opinoin , profited un-necessarily from Knights and Newcastle fans.

As was already pointed out, the tickets were $15 more than any other Footy Show ever put on anywhere else.

Funny that.

Sweeper

Juniors
Sportsjock said:
Do you also realise that much of the equipment was sourced from NBN TV Studios, 5 minutes down the road?!?!?!??!?!?!?!? :roll: :roll: :roll: - A Channel 9 AFFILIATE STATION.
An applause sign doesn't count for much of the equipment.

Son: I'm going to shoot me some Vietcong
Granny: You can shoot them... but i ain't cooking them for you!

Sportsjock

Juniors
Sweeper said:
An applause sign doesn't count for much of the equipment.

It was more than that Sweeper, so don't use humour or whatever to try and lose sight of the point I am trying to make. ;-) :lol:

Hypothetically, if it was just the APPLAUSE sign, then it only goes to prove even more so the cost wasn't TOO great to bring the stuff up to Newcastle, when all the camera and gear was availabe to " borrow " from NBN :lol:

Its all a mute point anyway, the greatest event ever held at the NEC was on April 2, 1998.

No lousy Footy Show will ever get close to it.

Yeah, they copped a whopping $50 fine for violating noise regulations. It was their first concert with their new mesaboogie based PA system and they wanted to take it for a test drive. :lol:

Sportsjock

Juniors
Danish Moo Cow said:
Yeah, they copped a whopping $50 fine for violating noise regulations. It was their first concert with their new mesaboogie based PA system and they wanted to take it for a test drive. :lol:

Did they cart it up from Channel 9 too? ;-)

Samwise

Bench
Sorry SJ, while having some of that money pumped back into local league would have been an awesome gesture, you can hardly suggest channel 9 rorted the public. Fact of the matter is Channel 9 isn't a charity, they are a business, their goal is to make money. If the demand was big enough to sell the tickets at that price and those that went were happy to pay it, why not charge that much? From a business point of view, you would be mad not to. If Channel 9 sold those tickets on the marketing platform that they were simply trying to cover costs, that would have been a rort. But you can't blame a business for trying to make a profit. I'm 100% positive your record label didn't sign you because they simply wanted to show the public your talent out of the goodness of their hearts. They believe they can use you to make money for them. Thats it.

Sportsjock

Juniors
Samwise said:
I'm 100% positive your record label didn't sign you because they simply wanted to show the public your talent out of the goodness of their hearts. They believe they can use you to make money for them. Thats it.

Of course we make money, but I think the point I was making is that the pricing difference between one Footy Show out of studio venue and the other seemed quite different?!?! :?

I don't sell a CD in Penrith for $22 and one in Newcastle for $40 :lol: - although if you are suggesting I should? :lol: ;-)

Channel 9 make money from the Footy Show being on TELEVISION, whether its in the public domain like the Ent Cent, or whether its filmed in the Channel 9 studios in house. Charging fans to see it the money they did, to me, seems unjustified, and subsequently didn't play the role of a Television station as much as they played the role of a damn smart concert promoter - making a profit which I am sure Michael Chugg would be proud of :lol:

Samwise

Bench
yeah i'm not saying i agree with it, i wouldn't have paid that much. but obviously there was people who would. all i'm simply saying is its hardly a rort. all they have done is found a way to increase profits. i'm not sure but perhaps the reason for a higher price is there isn't as much demand at other venues as there was in newcastle. maybe they will learn from newcastle and increase prices everywhere else in the future. who knows.

if you can sell as many cd's in newcastle for $40, why the hell not? i'm sure your record company would if they could.

~knights~

Juniors
Kaz said:
~knights~ said:
Lockyer looked nervous and unsure what to say sometimes.

He had to make sure, he didn't upset the 2 headed Newcastle crowd. ;-)

They would have skinned him alive.

No Tallis has it ,so does Joey.

They have character.

Locky while being a bloody good footballer....is quite BORING! :sleeper:

He just has no personality whatso-ever,LOL!

Doctor

Bench
Sportsjock said:
I am not sure if you are familiar with the performance and stage sound/lighting

As I said, I'm not saying I am in the know - I'm simply quoting the figures I was told - it is a general figure for moving any Channel 9 show to a new location. Clearly the figure is flexible depending on which show is involved - that is the figure being given though.

yet you are trying to tell me , and everyone here that Channel 9 to drive 2 hours up the F3, with equipment they already own, in trucks they already drive up to Newcastle in for football games anyway, is somehow going to cost $300,000.

Get with the programme SJ :lol:
As I said, I'm not trying to "tell you" and "everyone here" that this is fact - I'm just saying that this is the figure that Channel 9 has told the Knights, or at least members of the league fraternity. If I was familiar with the costs associated with event management I would come across as far more knowledgable on the subject than this. Just read what I have said in the context that I am quoting the information given to me.

Sorry Chook , but I appreciate the fact you know some dude

Michael Hagan

you aren't going to convince me

I'm not trying to "convince you" SJ - I've learnt my lessons from past instances of trying to shift your opinions - they're as solid as a rock. :lol:

I'm just trying to insert what Channel 9 say to be the facts so that we can look at the issue in the broader context of actual costings - the question marks you place around the discrepancy between Ch 9's costs and the overall ticket revenue are good issues to raise. I too am asking: "how much profit was made", but having considered what Ch 9 have said to be their overall costs.

The crux of what I'm saying SJ, is that the figures being quoted to the Knights, or at least the people Hages knows, is $300,000. I suspect the figure isn't this high, but in my limited knowledge of concert events I wouldn't be able to assess exactly how valid the number is.

My intention was and is to provide more information and perhaps knock you off your soapbox once in a while. ;-)

Sportsjock

Juniors
I enjoy being shoved a little of the soapbox.

I deadset felt I needed to put a topic like this in here to stir up the joint! :lol:

I don't know about you mate, but it feels like the same 4 people write in here everyday, and 3 of them are all from the teen no idea catergory. ;-)

I enjoyed this one.

Btw , I didn't know Supercoach Hages produced the footy show too ;-) :lol:

astrogirl

First Grade
Sportsjock said:
I don't know about you mate, but it feels like the same 4 people write in here everyday, and 3 of them are all from the teen no idea catergory. ;-)
Hey!!! Try to to be a bit nicer about the younger ones. (And before you ask, I am beyond my teenage years!)

They are mostly here to contribute because they love the Knights as much as some older fans. Today's teenagers will be tomorrow's knowledgeable, older forum members. (Yes, that sounds like some dumb slogan, but I mean it!)

Also, age and knowledge aren't mutually exclusive - I'm sure there are several teenage members of the forum that know infinitely more about the game than I do.

Go to the FFB if you want to see lots and lots of teenage posters!

But yeah, it would be nice if more people post here...

Sportsjock

Juniors
astrogirl said:
Go to the FFB if you want to see lots and lots of teenage posters!

But yeah, it would be nice if more people post here...

No thanks :lol:

I want RUBBER DUCKIE, SKYE1 , SKYE 2, BEN DAVIS, UT , GNOME and IDDYLION especially to post here alot MORE!

PLEEEEEEEEEASE!!?!??!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!

I think Skye dissapeared from the earth.

astrogirl

First Grade
I don't know Rubber Duckie and Skye.

And yeah, BenDavis, where did you go? You only come back to brag about your life and make me jealous about your snowboarding trips!

I'm sure there are others that I miss. I remember Gnome's posts are always thoughtful league related posts.

Doctor

Bench
I enjoyed this one.

I take it by the use of past-tense that the debate is over.....
So I won then? ;-) :p

astrogirl said:
Sportsjock said:

Astrogirl said:
Also, age and knowledge aren't mutually exclusive - I'm sure there are several teenage members of the forum that know infinitely more about the game than I do.

I can't ever remember being labeled a member of the "teen-no-idea" category, despite the fact that more than 90% of my years spent on the forums here and at the Official Forum have been as a member of the "teen" age bracket - though hopefully not as a part of the 'teen no idea' bracket. :roll:

I didn't know Supercoach Hages produced the footy show too

It's just a hobby at this stage - he worked his way up from "applause-sign holder" to "executive producer". :lol:

Iddylion

Juniors
I'm about. I play Forum 7's for the panthers these days. I occassionally lurk in here but I get most of my footy news from Crusaders. I'll check in from time to time though. I've been so proud of how the Knights have been playing of late (well maybe not the first 20 minutes on Saturday :? )

They're showing more heart than they had in years. Back to playing NEWCASTLE footy, not Johns footy. It's been a lot of years and it's great to see. Now if they could just string a win or two together. lol

Iddy

Latest posts