What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The NRL Grand Final for the MCG!

yobbo84 said:
The only way the Grand Final will be moved from Sydney is if the Broncos have a hissy-fit and start their own competition... wait a minute...

Whether or not the Banana benders or Mexicans like it, Sydney IS Rugby League. Without Sydney RL would die a slow and painful death in Australia.

that post sums uo why souths sydney are the good guys in the NRL.

when many others forgot or ignore the magnificent tradition of the game, you only have to look at souths to see a club which is proud of its history.

looking forward to souths getting regular season crowds over 30,000 in the next few years or so, and being the catalyst for RL crowds in sydney to go back to where they were in the 60s.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
In my life time it will not happen.

I however am not a head in the sand type person.

The perfect scenario would be that RL would be Australia's equivalent of the NFL, and the undisputed biggest game in Australasia, where the 'superbowl' would be in demand in every city and fill 80,000 seats everywhere.

To be that big, it needs to be felt in every corner of the country that it's their game. That whether the fans live in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Perth, Auckland, Newcastle... whereever, it's 'their' game and the fans have ownership of the game.

The game is bigger than me, it is bigger than Sydney, it is bigger than NSW. If you want what is best for the game, you have to let a little bit go.. and that is to understand that one day, the grand final.. our 'superbowl' will be played outside of Sydney.

The game deserves it.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
Sacrilege.

No.

Never.

If it is ever played at the MCG, I'll stop following Rugby League.

You can count me in on that.

We have dumped enough of our traditions without bastardising the the biggest game of our season. What next, playing SOO matches in Perth?

Ziggy the God said:
You can count me in on that.

We have dumped enough of our traditions without bastardising the the biggest game of our season. What next, playing SOO matches in Perth?

I actually don't have a drama with it eventually being held occasionally in Brissy, but if it ever gets moved to that Mexican toilet I'll toss it in.

I won't ever, under any circumstances, accept a Grand Final in that sh*thole. It is the single most vomit-inducing thought I've read here.

And I'd expect AFL fans to think the same way if it was mooted that the AFL GF was going to be held in Sydney.

Billythekid

First Grade
I dont think the GF should be moved despite that fact that telstra is a sh*t stadium. I also don't see why we would move it when it gets packed every year.

SOO on the other hand i'd be happy to see more games played in Melbourne. At least until Sydney gets it's act together and actually starts packing telstra for SOO.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
You guys have your order mixed up.

State of origin doesn't have aspirations of being national, it it NSW vs Qld.

The NRL has aspirations of being the biggest sporting competition in the country. It'll never be the biggest as long as you tell Victorians they don't deserve the grand final because the aren't from NSW.

Origin is only 20 odd years old and isn't always played in Sydney. To a NSWelshman playing Origin in Mexico is less stressful than playing at Suncorp. Mexicans are interested in Origin because they'll happily watch in the hope that NSW lose.

The GF is a lot older and hasn't been played elsewhere, ever. Excluding SL. *vomits*

Like I said, can anyone imagine the AFL GF being moved from Melbourne, yet they have two states that probably deserve it a lot more than Melbourne will ever deserve an NRL GF...

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Origin is only 20 odd years old and isn't always played in Sydney. To a NSWelshman playing Origin in Mexico is less stressful than playing at Suncorp. Mexicans are interested in Origin because they'll happily watch in the hope that NSW lose.

Playing at a venue 'less stressful' sort of spits in the face of what origin is about?

It's supposed to be passion, bordering on hatred, for the away team, not an all-star game.

The GF is a lot older and hasn't been played elsewhere, ever. Excluding SL. *vomits*

The GF is old in terms of it being the Sydney RL competition.

The ideal situation is is being the undisputed largest sporting competition in Australasia, with a large presence everywhere. An ideal that should have moved on from the Sydney RL comp format.

The closest comp we can point at is the NFL.

We are not that, but we should aspire to be the closest thing to that in Australasia, and that would one day mean we rotate the gf, like they do with the superbowl.

Like I said, can anyone imagine the AFL GF being moved from Melbourne, yet they have two states that probably deserve it a lot more than Melbourne will ever deserve an NRL GF...

In its current state yes, but they are a long way from being Australias 'NFL' as well. I'm sure they aspire to be that, and I would say are further down the track to becoming Australasia's version of the that than the NRL, even though we have more advantages.

Less stressful for the NSW supporters.

I'd rather play Origin in Melbourne than at Suncorp. Suncorp is awesome, just not to NSW fans who want NSW to win.

I'd be happy to rotate the GF between Sydney and Brisbane, if and when Brisbane get an 80k seat stadium.

But f**k Mexico.

Never.

A workmate of mine was in Melbourne on the weekend, and went to a pub in Fitzroy to watch the Grand Final.

First of all, he had to ask the barman to change the channel over to Nine.

When it was on, he said some group of old bastards where carrying on calling out "Go the Cats" and other rubbish throughout the game.

Methinks Melbourne is nowhere near ready to host GF.

taxidriver

Coach
KaboobieGarfunkelShazam said:
A workmate of mine was in Melbourne on the weekend, and went to a pub in Fitzroy to watch the Grand Final.

First of all, he had to ask the barman to change the channel over to Nine.

When it was on, he said some group of old bastards where carrying on calling out "Go the Cats" and other rubbish throughout the game.

Methinks Melbourne is nowhere near ready to host GF.

hey philstorm, I thought you said the pubs and clubs were over flowing ???

hard to tell really when you aren't even in the city isn't it ? :oops:

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Less stressful for the NSW supporters.

:lol:

Again, I'm ahppy to cop it in QLd knowing I will give pay-back in NSW when they come down.

I'd rather play Origin in Melbourne than at Suncorp. Suncorp is awesome, just not to NSW fans who want NSW to win.

I'd rather SOO never left NSW or QLD at all. I prefer Kangaroo matches to be the rep games taken to Victoria and Perth

I'd be happy to rotate the GF between Sydney and Brisbane, if and when Brisbane get an 80k seat stadium.

But f**k Mexico.

Never.

Why never ?

What if RL developed enough popularity where there were 4 RL teams playing out of Victoria all averaging 40k+ crowds ?

I mean that's definately not going to occur in our lifetime, but if that was an obtainable goal, shouldn't that be something we should aspire to?

taxidriver

Coach
What if RL developed enough popularity where there were 4 RL teams playing out of Victoria all averaging 40k+ crowds ?

I mean that's definately not going to occur in our lifetime, but if that was an obtainable goal, shouldn't that be something we should aspire to?

i think we'll run out of time. I'm pretty sure the sun will engulf the earth in about a billion years.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
taxidriver said:
i think we'll run out of time. I'm pretty sure the sun will engulf the earth in about a billion years.

We have 5 billion years actually. The Sun is half way through it's cycle and it's about 5 billion years old.

If the AFL leaves Melbourne, Wimbledon goes to Wales or Indianapolis goes to New York then maybe I can live with us trashing our traditions as well.
Don't you think that sports are a little poorer without traditions?