What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The NRL Grand Final for the MCG!

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
mattyg said:
i've been to the last 4 grand finals and i'll continue to go to them...in fact, my team has only been involved in one of them 4 grand finals. It will be a huge kick in the teeth to Sydneysiders who have sold out the grand final every year since Telstra Stadium was redeveloped. Leave the thing in Sydney...home semis are as far as it should go.

I've been to the 04, 05 and 06 Grand Finals from Auckland. Tbh i'd rather go to Sydney than Brisbane....although i've never been to Melbourne. And the MCG is a circle, not a rectangle - or even a close approximation like Telstra.

nqboy

First Grade
Lockyer4President! said:
It's the biggest rectangular stadium in the country and Sydney fills it consistently enough, I don't see the point in moving it anytime soon.
Ah, Locky? Lang Park has that honour. SA has a running track around it that puts fans behind the posts at least 50m from the deadball line.

bobmar28

Bench
nqboy said:
Ah, Locky? Lang Park has that honour. SA has a running track around it that puts fans behind the posts at least 50m from the deadball line.
If youre talking about Telstra Stadium that's not a running track it's an afl oval when the seats are moved back from the 50 meter line.
Suncorp would be a better venuefor the GF if it was bigger.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
nqboy said:

Ah, nqboy. This -------------- isn't six inches, just like the distance between the dead ball line and the first row of seats at Telstra isn't 50 metres.

nqboy said:

you obviously havent been to Telstra in the last 5 years.

to start with they ripped up the running track almost 7 years ago and behind the posts is only 15-20m from the dead ball Not 50m!

Telstra is basically a rectangular stadium with rounded edges for 90% of its events.

the real issue with telstra is the low gradient of the seating. It was designed that way due to olympic sightline requirments.

nqboy

First Grade
bobmar28 said:
If youre talking about Telstra Stadium that's not a running track it's an afl oval when the seats are moved back from the 50 meter line.
Suncorp would be a better venuefor the GF if it was bigger.
:oops: My bad. Of course it doesn't have a running track anymore. But it isn't rectangular either.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
Meh, tbh... id prefer it if all big games were at Aussie or Suncorp, i f**king HATE Telstra. But MCG...? 30-40 years time, minimum.

Azkatro

First Grade
Suncorp Stadium is easily the best football stadium in the country. When I say football I mean anything that requires a rectangular pitch. While I think the grand final needs to stay in Sydney, we could see murmurs after the world cup final next year is held in Brisbane to move the grand final there. But I suspect it will remain just that - murmurs.

i think we should send the grand final to melbourne so 1) piss queenslanders off and 2) 10,000 people turn up and we can finally forget about melbourne all together and concentrate on people who actually want to be involved in the game

good to see many fans demanding the final stay in sydney.

the comment that we invented the competition as to why it stays in sydney is sheer class.

one solution though im a fan of - make it like origin, best of 3 series with a decider only played if required.

the opening game is always in sydney, and the second game is always in brisbane.

a decider if required can alternate between melbourne, NZ and WA.

the additional revenue from 1 extra GF game could be $10 million, and who knows how much more channel 9 will pay for another 3 million viewing audience.

plus it helps promote the game in brisbane and other areas.

Mr Saab

Referee
Mr. Fahrenheit said:
Meh, tbh... id prefer it if all big games were at Aussie or Suncorp, i f**king HATE Telstra. But MCG...? 30-40 years time, minimum.

Add another zero after both 30 and 40

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
dallymessenger said:
one solution though im a fan of - make it like origin, best of 3 series with a decider only played if required.

That's the worst idea i've ever heard

Azkatro said:
Suncorp Stadium is easily the best football stadium in the country. When I say football I mean anything that requires a rectangular pitch. While I think the grand final needs to stay in Sydney, we could see murmurs after the world cup final next year is held in Brisbane to move the grand final there. But I suspect it will remain just that - murmurs.

there is no doubt that suncorp is a better viewing ground , but that wont help the 30000 people that miss out on a ticket.

nqboy

First Grade
Tonearm Terrorwrist said:
i think we should send the grand final to melbourne so 1) piss queenslanders off and 2) 10,000 people turn up and we can finally forget about melbourne all together and concentrate on people who actually want to be involved in the game
...like Sydney fans? Or Roosters fans? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Azkatro

First Grade
herbert henry1908 said:
there is no doubt that suncorp is a better viewing ground , but that wont help the 30000 people that miss out on a ticket.
Understood, but we already had a similar issue in 1988 when SFS was first used in a grand final. By all accounts it made for much better viewing and atmosphere than the SCG. I know these days Telstra is actually getting filled, but I also know that Suncorp provides better viewing and a better atmosphere.

As I mentioned though it should stay in Sydney and at Telstra. And as I also mentioned people will start talking about this again when we watch the world cup final at Suncorp next year.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
I don't want this to happen because:
a) The MCG has a capacity of 100k. It wouldn't fill for the NRL Grand Final
b) The game started in Sydney, and the GF should stay in Sydney. Imagine taking the AFL GF away from Melbourne. It's f**king suicide!

yobbo84

Coach
The only way the Grand Final will be moved from Sydney is if the Broncos have a hissy-fit and start their own competition... wait a minute...

Whether or not the Banana benders or Mexicans like it, Sydney IS Rugby League. Without Sydney RL would die a slow and painful death in Australia.

mattystans000

Juniors
I reckon a fair solution would be after the Contract after the current 2011 Contract with Telstra Stadium expires, alternate the final between Telstra and Suncorp. It'll probably be 2017 by then, but the one requirement of QLD would be more clubs in the NRL, hopefully equal to the number of NSW clubs. Without the likely possibility of a QLD club in the GF once every two years, minimum, then Suncorp shouldn't be considered. But eventually the GF should alternate between Telstra and Suncorp as RL has more than one heartland in this country.

yobbo84

Coach
mattystans000 said:
I reckon a fair solution would be after the Contract after the current 2011 Contract with Telstra Stadium expires, alternate the final between Telstra and Suncorp. It'll probably be 2017 by then, but the one requirement of QLD would be more clubs in the NRL, hopefully equal to the number of NSW clubs. Without the likely possibility of a QLD club in the GF once every two years, minimum, then Suncorp shouldn't be considered. But eventually the GF should alternate between Telstra and Suncorp as RL has more than one heartland in this country.

LOL. When the QLD cup expands and introduces teams from NSW, VIC and NZ, and becomes the Number 1 Rugby League competition in the country, then the final can be staged at Suncorp.

Until then it stays in Sydney.