What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The NRL has effectively killed its future as a genuine national brand

Brutus

Referee
I can't help thinking this.

Could this benefit a certain company that wants to exit the game it part-owns?

Last edited:

Misanthrope

Staff member
Any reason why this two line gem couldn't have just been posted in one of the several dozen other threads on the topic? It's not like you're saying anything that hasn't been said by about twenty other people already...

Brutus

Referee
how does less of an audience help anyone?

Less dollars to pay for future broadcast rights (news ltd) for a perceived damaged brand.

Before yesterday many people were talking 1 billion for our next tv rights.

MightyBronco

Juniors
You should put all your thoughts together in one post and put that post in the storm salary cap breach thread.

Between you and the other main attention-whores this forum is slowing right down and getting clogged with endless sh*te

Misanthrope

Staff member
Less dollars to pay for future broadcast rights (news ltd) for a perceived damaged brand.

You would make the worst businessman ever. Why pay less for something that will earn less when you can pay more to earn more?

Brutus

Referee
You would make the worst businessman ever. Why pay less for something that will earn less when you can pay more to earn more?

A perceived damaged brand.

We all know how resilient RL is. News LTD knows this. It's the potential rival bidders that I'm worried about.

Goddo

Bench
The actions of a nufty CEO and a couple of his dodgy mates is hardly a News consipracy. We need a bit of perspective here. Yes this is bad, but no, this isn't the worst thing to happen to RL.

Super League was far, far worse. It ripped the heart out of every club, and it has taken until now to rebuild.

This is just one club that has been damaged. $60m in 10 years has been spent on the Storm, and they were just starting to become a healthy viable club, with good crowds, memberships, sponsors and a brand new stadium.

They can rebuild, but all that good work has been destroyed, and the Storm have been put back say 5 -10 years. This is News' problem, they should fix it and pay for it. I bet they are making a motza from covering this issue. That money should go to fixing the Storm.

the ARL hopefully will say to News you can't leave Melbourne untill your mess is fixed.

A lot of emotion charged ramblings going around. People need to screw their heads back on and be realists about this. Yes this is bad, but it can be fixed.

I just hope it doesn't hurt the Reds or Bears.

Brutus

Referee
the ARL hopefully will say to News you can't leave Melbourne untill your mess is fixed.

I really, really hope so, but I have my doubts.

As a person who desperately wants to see our game successfully expand, yesterday's news was crushing.

I'm not a Storm supporter, but I see how much good they can do our game.

Iafeta

Referee
I can't help thinking this.

Could this benefit a certain company that wants to exit the game it part-owns?

Modern business principles require strong ethics. Are you suggesting that they should have swept this under the carpet because Melbourne are a key strategic frontier club? You're opening a massive can of worms if that's the suggestion.

Hanscholo

Bench
Time will tell regarding News ltd. At this point they are putting the storm at arms length about the issue, and saying they will support them long term. This has to put their future in doubt however, because the allready bitter taste of our clubs dishing out 34 million over 5 years to keep them under the new structure is now a completely out of the question. There are a number of clubs, great clubs...in NSW and QLD just about out of business. Clubs that have a long term viable future as income producing sides for the NRL. They need to be looked after, I mean Newcastle, Gold Coast, Cronulla, Canberra and the Cowboys. Imo, they come first and its high time they got the kind of share in revenues they deserve. I can assure you that Newcastle alone would be responsible for more Pay TV subscriptions than just about any other club and they get nothing for that. Its wrong, and its got to change.

As far as News ltd canabalising their own brand and team. You have to look at this from their perspective to see why they have done what they have. If they found this out and swept it under the carpet, and it was subsequently revealed it would have had massive flow on affects to foxtel, and news ltd in this country. ASIC would put them to the sword, and they have more to worry about than one football club. The NRL acted as it needed to do, to ensure that the game's repuation remained in tact, and to me its done that quite well. It had to at least be seen to not be showing any more bias towards melbourne.

As far as all of us being worse off from this because we dont have a side in Melboruen is concerned. Well, that hasnt happened yet and i doubt it will especially now bellamy is being disolved of any blame. In terms of what the rest of us are entitled to and what melbourne arent entitled to in terms of special treatment and income...its high time that the game started to spilt up the revenue on a fair and equitable basis. End of story, and if that hurts our short term expansion plans then so be it. The game has never been about melbourne, and to risk the rest of it for some grand scheme of dominance is stupid.

Last edited:

Latest posts