What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The NRL should be the strongest it's ever been. So why isn't it?

DiegoNT

First Grade
If you go to 11 a side, what positions get cut?
Even in the 9 a side game, it was shown forwards are still vital. If you take 2 forwards out, all this will lead to is bigger centres and wingers to take up the workload left from dropping 2 forwards.
Take 2 outside backs? Well that would improve attacking football wouldn't it?
We have the best balance of attack and defence of any sport, any drastic changes to that and the game is stuffed. Every position in the 13 has it's own importance and none can be cut.

If you go to 11 a side, what positions get cut?
Even in the 9 a side game, it was shown forwards are still vital. If you take 2 forwards out, all this will lead to is bigger centres and wingers to take up the workload left from dropping 2 forwards.
Take 2 outside backs? Well that would improve attacking football wouldn't it?
We have the best balance of attack and defence of any sport, any drastic changes to that and the game is stuffed. Every position in the 13 has it's own importance and none can be cut.

Nah, I'm not buying that; wingers will be smaller if anything as they will have more room on the outside. And wingers and centres take the ball up the middle now, did you see R Tuivasa-S on Monday? W Hopoate in Origin? M Vatuvei etc.

You'll still have different styles of half-back, and you'll still have different styles of play with 11, granted with 9-a-side not so much.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Maori are polynesian.

Plenty of polynesian players have amazing footwork. Roger Tuivasa-shek is polynesian. Benji Marshal is polynesian.

Plenty of polynesian players have amazing skills for their size. Feliti Mateo is polynesian. As is Adam Blair. Sonny Bill Williams anyone? Olsen Filipaina? Sam Kasiano? Israel Folau? There are better examples I am sure.

Karmichael Hunt and Stacey Jones are polynesian.

I have never heard something so ridiculous to say that "[Polynesians (Pacific Islanders)] No offence at all but these guys are strong and they hit hard, but their game play isn't fleet of foot or 'excitement footy'. Maybe it's not a Pacific Islander thing so much as a pure battering ram showcase.".

Some polynesian players defintely have a power game. I like watching the battering rams of Martin Tapau and Jason Taumololo. Those battering rams used to get labelled as "built for origin". Who didn't get just a little excited by Tapau's fend the other week?

Fijians are not solely polynesian but more melonesian.

The abilities that Maori, Samoan, Tongan (and Fijian) players have for their attacking skill to go with their physical prowess is world reknown through both rugby league and rugby union. I think that the original poster is quite wrong to say the least. But if you're built like Jonah Lomu, why side step?

Last edited:

DeeJ

Bench
I think you'll find that Maori don't consider themselves Polynesian at all due to centuries of separation.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Rubbish, Toovey is wrong, he needs educating on sports science and the history of sport, that's what they said about the 4 minute mile, but once it was cracked loads went under it, that's what they said about women and marathons, it's beyond women's capabilities they said, and as Toovey is now, they were wrong too. I'm a sports scientist. Haven't you heard of adaptations? And that we're only able to use about 60% of our capabilities at the moment. We're evolving, you do know that? We're animals, you do know that?

Yes some front-rowers will be in the NSW if we go to 11-a-side, but tough, but if Sam Kasiano and G Rose had more discipline regarding their food, then they may still be able to play professionally.

And haven't you seen the start of every Incredible Hulk episode? As I said, we're still pushing, we're not near human capabilities, training regimes will change, GOOD, I want them spending less time lifting heavy weights and more time on the exercise bike and out on the training paddock.

Yes, because the sole reason different people have different body types and struggle to lose, weight is because they eat too much. It's bit a physiological (or sometimes, pdychologucal) issue at all.

:roll:

And you call yourself a "scientist".

Nathan Hindmarsh had a pot-belly, but he'd play 80 minutes every week and top the tackle count.

Body somatotypes have nothing to do with athletic ability.

Yes, because the sole reason different people have different body types and struggle to lose, weight is because they eat too much. It's bit a physiological (or sometimes, pdychologucal) issue at all.

:roll:

And you call yourself a "scientist".

Nathan Hindmarsh had a pot-belly, but he'd play 80 minutes every week and top the tackle count.

Body somatotypes have nothing to do with athletic ability.

Yes, indeed, however it's known that many people in rugby league, and Mose Masoe has admitted as much that the western diet affects their size, and I'm sure that G Rose's and S Kasiano's body fat percentage could be lower, and it would be if we went to 11-a-side I'm sure. And N Hindmarsh didn't have a pot, he just didn't have big glutes, the same as G Eastwood which gives the illusion that they are fatter than they are, it's obviously to do with their shape and abdominal structure.

Noname36

First Grade
Sides have become too good defensively...which improves the game from a technical perspective but not an entertainment one.

adamkungl

Immortal
Sides have not become too good defensively. There's no shortage of good tries being scored.

We don't need a major game changing rule - 12 players or changing kicking rules.

What we might need, as I've suggested in other threads, is some minor tweaks here and there that take the focus away from referees and niggling and whatever else, and allow everyone to just get on with good footy.

More than anything the game needs a morale boost, something to break the weekly cycle of bitching.

OP is right in that talent-wise and financially is in better shape than ever, but we're not quite seeing that reflected in the fans.

insert.pause

First Grade
most have only become so good defensively because they are defending the same set plays over and over, set plays they probably also use. Sides who play more what's in front of them like the raiders, broncos & cowboys aren't having as many problems scoring points.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Last night classic example of the main problem in game, lack of second phase play. Number of time burgess busted the line but no one in support, the time he did offload it not one Souths player was backing him up. Teams are so used to forwards just carting it up that the opportunity to offload and create second phase play is gone. 4 hit ups and a set play is the bible for coaches today sadly.

mongoose

Coach
I don't think the rules need to be changed. I think the way the game is refereed and the season schedule needs to be fixed.

I also think Channel 9 needs to dump everyone except for Peter Sterling and Yvonne Sampson (maybe Joey as well) and replace them with competent presenters.

In saying that the on field product is fine, in fact its the most exciting its ever been. The 90s had many, many dour games and clubs. The bottom teams in the early 90s would barely even be NSW cup standard today, while the Broncos and Raiders of that era were ridiculously loaded with talent. The comp is far more equal now and the standard is better.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
It is funny to me. Union fans dismiss league as "five tackles kick" boring when it is the key separation between the two games and forces more "rugby" and more running and tackling. With unlimited tackles, you would see league with union sized props "pick and go" from the ruck, and it would be a snore fest.

The line out is neither here nor there, it is the limited tackle and play the ball rules which really differentiate the two codes by preventing contested ruck situations of 5 plus "floppers" and the existence of "mauls" which are deemed to be held tackle and play the ball in league.

I am against shortening the interchange and turning league into a game of stamina. But that's just me.

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
Last night classic example of the main problem in game, lack of second phase play. Number of time burgess busted the line but no one in support, the time he did offload it not one Souths player was backing him up. Teams are so used to forwards just carting it up that the opportunity to offload and create second phase play is gone. 4 hit ups and a set play is the bible for coaches today sadly.

There were some great hits in defense. And some great attacking tries.

People seem to believe that entertainment only comes in the form of attack.

If so, let's just play touch footy

DiegoNT

First Grade
There were some great hits in defense. And some great attacking tries.

People seem to believe that entertainment only comes in the form of attack.

If so, let's just play touch footy

Bingo!!
Or watch rugby 7s, but be warned, 100% attack is actually so boring!!

What I'm saying is that RL has become too structured, inevitable from going to full-time. So 20 yrs after going full-time we need a change IMO, either by increasing the field of play, which is impossible with many fields, or reducing the number of players, which is the sensible and obvious thing to do. We'll see more ad-lib football then. But there will still be big hits, as there will be in the Nines. As G Alexander said, "7's is Mickey Mouse, Nines is right for us, no less than that".

Last edited:

Latest posts