What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The NRL should be the strongest it's ever been. So why isn't it?

Canard

Immortal
I have never heard rule changes being debated so much in other sports, nor have i seen actual rule changes implemented in other sports.

This is a common LU fallacy.

Other sports, do change the rules and debate changing them constantly.

It's just that as we aren't as exposed to the local media that discusses this as much, so we assume that this is the case.

It's just that as we aren't as exposed to the local media that discusses this as much, so we assume that this is the case.

Watched 4 blokes on ESPN Baseball go for it hammer and tongs, absolutely going mental over the video review system they have now and where does it leave their game now.

And to think I thought only RL folk argued over TV review. Oh, and cricket.

Auckland4ever

Juniors
Nah man,
I made the point that Shaun cant be classified as an islander as he is maori, then i found out h was asian so it just proved my point even further that he cant be classified as a polynesian.

He was born in NZ. Last time I looked, NZ was a series of Pacific Islands in Polynesia.

Last edited:

rabbitohs95

Bench
If you had 8-9 home games a year you could justify charging $56 a ticket but 12 is probably over supply at those prices. $35 for good seats and $20 behind sticks should be the set price in the NRL. Having said that I'm not convinced cost is the biggest issue to get huge crowds. Origin just got 91,500 to it at an avg of around $150 a ticket. If something is a must do event then people will pay to go. How you make 12 games at say brookvale all must attend events regardless of weather and opponent I have no idea though!

I think it's a matter of teams taking more games interstate. Not only will it market the game to other cities/country towns but it'll get locals to come to games that really matter because there will be fewer ones to attend.

Rules aren't changed, are you for real? So I guess the No-Shoulder-Charge rule and the 7-Tackles-For-Kicking-It-Dead Rule and the Simultaneous-Release-By-Tacklers Rule are just figments of my imagination

The 7 tackle rule is only in Aus, so doesn't count, as is having 2 refs, IMO there should be 2 refs for every top competition.

The tackle area rules, that's an interpretation change that's not a significant rule change, the word I used was 'significant', the shoulder charge, I accept is a rule change but significant when less that one per cent of tackles were shoulder "barges"; shoulder "charges" are NOT banned, you can still tackle very hard with the top of your shoulder in RL, and dump someone in RL, which you can't in RU. Well they're trying to get rid of it.

100% right mate. On a popular RU forum up here (Scum V) there's a separate section for discussion for "law" changes in RU! Yes, a separate section on the forum for rule change discussion.

And as soccer is getting higher TV ratings than Baseball much of the time now, there's big debate in baseball regarding rule changes to make it a better spectacle, like having a clock for the pitchers, as they are time wasting between pitches.

TheVelourFog

First Grade
The 7 tackle rule is only in Aus, so doesn't count, as is having 2 refs, IMO there should be 2 refs for every top competition.

The tackle area rules, that's an interpretation change that's not a significant rule change, the word I used was 'significant', the shoulder charge, I accept is a rule change but significant when less that one per cent of tackles were shoulder "barges"; shoulder "charges" are NOT banned, you can still tackle very hard with the top of your shoulder in RL, and dump someone in RL, which you can't in RU. Well they're trying to get rid of it.

Well we are talking about the "NRL" so whether it is used elsewhere is irrelevant. As to the rest I think you are being unecessarily pedantic. They are for all intents and purposes a change to the rules ie. You are no longer allowed to do something that you could before

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
It is quite simple. The players are predominately dumb as dog shit. Zero marketability in that aspect.

Inglis is awesome on the field . On camera he sounds like he is purposely trying make himself dumber lol.

Anyone remember that Casiano interview from a few years back lol.

Ojlovednicole

Juniors
^100 correct there Raiders.

I have a Namibian friend who has recently been introduced to the game, from a Rugby Union background. I have mentioned him before elsewhere.

At the pub I asked him why he doesnt like Rugby League players. He ignored me then blew up at me 'they have effin' tatts' and stormed off to the pokie area.

What he was trying to say is they look and act like low class bogans.

The class divide between Union and this game is very apparent, and its causing the better half of society to turn their nose away, or rather, not get into it in the first place.

Well we are talking about the "NRL" so whether it is used elsewhere is irrelevant. As to the rest I think you are being unecessarily pedantic. They are for all intents and purposes a change to the rules ie. You are no longer allowed to do something that you could before

No I'm not being pedantic, as there's only bn tinkering to the rules; adding a tackle if a kick has gone too long is not a real rule change, and adding a referee is not changing the rules of the sport, and besides when Australia play they only have 1 ref on the park.

Rugby league right now, has the almost perfect mix of attack and defence.
Look at sports like basketball, aussie rules where's there is heaps of scoring both games kinda get boring straight away because their games have no tension. These games are only entertaining in the last minute if the game us close.
On the flip side sports like soccer and union's have to much defence. It's becomes a bore because their are long periods without any action.
We keep changing the rules to improve the attack, but then the balance is gone. Rugby 7s or even the Auckland 9s is all about attacking, open rugby with many long range tries, but it all gets tiresome quick.

Regarding the Nines, in 36 minutes of play-off football in the 2014 NRL Nines, NQ only conceded 1 try, as they nilled NZ in the semi-final and Brisbane only scored one in the final, so even 9's doesn't have to be a try fest. As P Green said in his interview after the Final.

And of course basketball is struggling! 3 years ago I read it was the fastest growing sport in the world. And M Jordan is well known as was well paid, seen David Beckham wearing a Boston Celtics top, yet to see him in an NRL one; Magic Johnson, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, loads of ppl know Phil Jackson. And they struggle to get A list starts to matches too ay?! Jack Nicholson, D Hoffman, Madonna, Spike Lee etc. Yeah, making the game more like basketball is a really bad thing to do, ay?

Last edited:

DiegoNT

First Grade
Regarding the Nines, in 36 minutes of play-off football in the 2014 NRL Nines, NQ only conceded 1 try, as they nilled NZ in the semi-final and Brisbane only scored one in the final, so even 9's doesn't have to be a try fest. As P Green said in his interview after the Final.

And of course basketball is struggling! 3 years ago I read it was the fastest growing sport in the world. And M Jordan is well known as was well paid, seen David Beckham wearing a Boston Celtics top, yet to see him in an NRL one; Magic Johnson, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, loads of ppl know Phil Jackson. And they struggle to get A list starts to matches too ay?! Jack Nicholson, D Hoffman, Madonna, Spike Lee etc. Yeah, making the game more like basketball is a really bad thing to do, ay?

And soccers the biggest sport in the world, so should change more rules so there's more nil all draws.
The actual game of rugby league itself is fine, we don't need drastic rule changes to make it better. Geoff Toovey was on nrl 360 last night and said that anyone asking for the game to be 'faster' haven't played the game, because we are already at the limit of what humans can do with their bodies. Maybe a reduction in the interchange will bring back more endurance, but that's about it. We've had some amazing attacking displays this year, we've had some amazing defensive displays ( just look at broncos the other day, not only did they score one hell of a try, but they put in a pretty gutsy defensive display to). The problem isn't with the game, but with the people in charge who market it.
Ken Arthurson was on sterlo's show last night, a man with decades of experience, and he mentioned in his time rugby league has seen many lows, and times when the game was seemingly on its knees and the reason the game survived these tough times was because the product is so good. If we keep tinkering and changing the product, the next time the games on its knees, we may not survive

POPEYE

Coach
The game doesn't need to be faster, it needs to be slowed down so that talent can regain a hold over it . . . only limited interchange will remove the boredom

Canard

Immortal
It is quite simple. The players are predominately dumb as dog shit. Zero marketability in that aspect.

Inglis is awesome on the field . On camera he sounds like he is purposely trying make himself dumber lol.

Anyone remember that Casiano interview from a few years back lol.

Casiano with a C, and your referring to players as being dumb??

Run me through the massive list of Rhodes Scholars that make up Australian sports stars that are currently highly marketable?

Ojlovednicole

Juniors
Casiano with a C, and your referring to players as being dumb??

Run me through the massive list of Rhodes Scholars that make up Australian sports stars that are currently highly marketable?

50% of the white Rugby Union players from the private school system.

Feej

First Grade
Wow! Almost 100 posts and no one outside of Sydney has said there's too many teams in Sydney. Must be a first!

Ojlovednicole

Juniors
And aren't they all big stars in Australia.

Canard,

You and I roll around in rugby league circles. Naturally, the bigger stars of the 15 man game will escape us time to time.

Spending alot of time in the North Shore with my Namibian friend (who's into Union) you become a little bit more privvy and exposed to the Rugby Union world, their cult heroes, Icons. They are bigger stars in that area and around what we initially think. Their faces are marketed to certain sectors of our society. Different marketing channels. In the media, we tend to ignore Super 15 news I think.

Make no mistake, I'm not going to sit here and say that Union stars are bigger than League or such nonsense, however they have their own pull in this country, that is for sure.

Izz

Bench
Canard,

You and I roll around in rugby league circles. Naturally, the bigger stars of the 15 man game will escape us time to time.

Spending alot of time in the North Shore with my Namibian friend (who's into Union) you become a little bit more privvy and exposed to the Rugby Union world, their cult heroes, Icons. They are bigger stars in that area and around what we initially think. Their faces are marketed to certain sectors of our society. Different marketing channels. In the media, we tend to ignore Super 15 news I think.

Make no mistake, I'm not going to sit here and say that Union stars are bigger than League or such nonsense, however they have their own pull in this country, that is for sure.
lol @ obvious troll being obvious

Latest posts