What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The nrl standard this year?

beave

Coach
Souths and Melbourne-------- daylight-------- chooks, manly (at times)------- daylight-------- the rest of the comp.

I think this has been pretty ordinary year, even last year was pretty shit as well (and my team was actually alright in 2012). I have said it before and I'll say it again, the lads that play now are more athlete than footballer. What players lack in football ability they make up for in spades these days is in the gym/fitness department.

A player like Cameron Smith can be built like a lesbian librarian but still carve up and run rings around the other players who are obviously a lot stronger and faster, is because he has a footballing brain and knows how to play 'the game'. I think the problem is they spend too much time eating weights and not enough learning how to hit holes and create over laps and how to pass to players in a better position than themselves.

Last edited:

Aragorn

First Grade
A player like Cameron Smith can be built like lesbian librarian but still carve up and run rings around the other players who are obviously a lot stronger and faster, is because he has a footballing brain and knows how to play 'the game'. I think the problem is they spend too much time eating weights and not enough learning how to hit holes and create over laps and how to pass to players in a better position than themselves.

I blame the stupid ass "coaches" that dont actually coach.

Swarzey

Bench
Worse.

*ASADA Investigation
*Consistently being labeled a "Code in Crisis"
*A number of teams have been stricken with injuries.
*Shoulder charge ban.
*Biff rule.
*Referees. They started excellent however, after a couple of weeks, they went back to last year's effort.
*State of Origin being ruined due to the overreaction of punch ups.
*Wrestling in tackles.
*Cannonball tackles and nothing being done about it.
*Souffs being first. But that's not actually too bad.

Fire

First Grade
I think the problem is they spend too much time eating weights and not enough learning how to hit holes and create over laps and how to pass to players in a better position than themselves.

I agree with this and agreed with Matt Johns (for once) that the NRL should've stood strong on their obstruction rule early in the season. Johns said different teams used to have their own style, but now it's all "hole/option" runners 20m out - every team looks the same.

Coaches are to blame too. I remember the Phil Blake thread. There was a photo of him chip and chasing from his own 20m. He'd get hooked for that these days.

Add in the wrestle.

It gets boring.

Still my favourite sport by miles, but is getting slow, boring and predictable.

Coleworld

Juniors
The standard of play is dictated by coaches instructions to players to stick to high percentage plays = safer options. You can't blame them though because its a high pressure job and cut throat environment.

The days of a backline play/spreading it from your own end are over. You'd be playing NSW cup the next week.

I just wish some teams coaching staff would create variations of plays or think outside the square rather than stealing Melbourne Storms attacking playbook.

For example optional restart, no one ever tries to kick for touch to gain ground and go straight on the attack. If you practise that play at training it could be a weapon.

The last half a decade of Premiers have been great terms who have mastered the ability to slow the ruck through wrestling and have been quality defensive teams but I think the NRL do need to consider ways to let teams showcase attacking skills/sets. I don't know if its less Interchanges or adjustment of rules.

undertaker

Coach
I agree with others, it is becoming boring.

I blame the wrestle.

All you have to do is watch the ESL or an NRL match from 10 years ago just to see how slow the ruck has become since wrestling slowly permeated through the game under Bellamy's tenure at the Storm. That's one thing that immediately stands out when watching replays of older matches. I found it hard to watch Origin this year as both teams have really been exploiting the ruck and yet the refs haven't penalised players due to the Bill Harrigan "free-flowing" motif that is imprinted in the current crop of referees. Players have been given waaaaaay too much latitude in that area and they keep doing it because they know most of the time the ref will just yell "GET OFF HIM JOSH.....HOLD, HOOOOOOOOOLD! GO!" and not penalise them.

Keep penalising these stupid manoeuvres, the players will eventually get the message and this crap in the ruck will be cut out. Much to the chagrin of a few dimwits who think the game will turn into Union with an increase in penalties, I'd really love to see an increase in penalties in this area if it means getting rid of it. Remember when there was that huge crackdown on play-the-balls in 2000 (and that night where Steve Clark blew nearly 30 penalties in an Eels/Panthers Friday night match IIRC)? Looking at it 13 yrs later, that issue regarding correct play-the-balls is extremely miniscule compared to the wrestling. Not to mention that there's been numerous incidences a game where the player doesn't use his foot at all to roll the ball to dummy half after being tackled. And to think that was a "major issue" 13 years ago?:lol:

However, although wrestling started Bellamy around 2003/04, I can't remember exactly when it was that other NRL clubs started picking up on it and then implemented it in their game structure (maybe someone can help me out with this question)

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
The standard of play is dictated by coaches instructions to players to stick to high percentage plays = safer options. You can't blame them though because its a high pressure job and cut throat environment.

The days of a backline play/spreading it from your own end are over. You'd be playing NSW cup the next week.

I just wish some teams coaching staff would create variations of plays or think outside the square rather than stealing Melbourne Storms attacking playbook.

For example optional restart, no one ever tries to kick for touch to gain ground and go straight on the attack. If you practise that play at training it could be a weapon.

The last half a decade of Premiers have been great terms who have mastered the ability to slow the ruck through wrestling and have been quality defensive teams but I think the NRL do need to consider ways to let teams showcase attacking skills/sets. I don't know if its less Interchanges or adjustment of rules.

I'll add another one: the mid-field chip kick. One of the most underused, but very effective plays (nowdays, you only mainly see it if it's towards the end of a game and the team behind on the scoreboard and needs to score a try to win/draw has possession).

Also, the kick from a scrum (although you need a fast winger/centre, like the Knights did when they had Darren Albert/Jamie Ainscough).

And 100% agree with you about finding touch from a 20m restart. Again, practising that play many times at training and when executed on game day, that can be a match-turning play.

Aragorn

First Grade
I'll add another one: the mid-field chip kick. One of the most underused, but very effective plays (nowdays, you only mainly see it if it's towards the end of a game and the team behind on the scoreboard and needs to score a try to win/draw has possession).

Also, the kick from a scrum (although you need a fast winger/centre, like the Knights did when they had Darren Albert/Jamie Ainscough).

And 100% agree with you about finding touch from a 20m restart. Again, practising that play many times at training and when executed on game day, that can be a match-turning play.

you should take up coaching. although thats not really coaching, thats more tactics.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade

I have a feeling that the knights also did it with Uate. I agree with you that it is a very underutilised play.

boxhead

First Grade
I have a feeling that the knights also did it with Uate. I agree with you that it is a very underutilised play.

When Mat Rogers was still playing for the Titans, he would sometimes do a long bomb off of a scrum for Kevin Gordon. I don't think it ever resulted in a try but it was amazing to watch. And mind you, these bombs were from his own half and would end up in the opposition twenty. It basically came down to whether Kevin Gordon or the fullback got there first, and if the ball bounced favourably for either player.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
i think the other issue from a coaching viewpoint is it seems coaches arent playing to their players strengths- they're looking at what works for other teams and trying to copy it. it was great seeing what hasler did with the dogs forwards last year, he realised his halves couldnt create shit so he used his forwards to do it.

when canberra decide to play to their strengths they flog teams - they dont need to grind like melbourne. i'd like coaches to start using what they have instead of this f**king sweep / 2nd man formula most of them utilise

Latest posts